plasticpenguin

Wireless streamers.

Posted (edited)

As most of you guys will know, I have an apathy for streamers. One of my biggest concerns is the distance between the PC (bedroom) and the streamers would be in the living room. Cables and where to put them is an immediate 'no no'. But I now have wireless and wired connections for our Smart phones.

Is it as simple as using a dongle and going with a wireless streamer, as opposed to a CD player? If so how much would you spend, without it becoming an overkill, for the Leema Pulse and TB2is?

Edited by plasticpenguin

Super Wammer

No need for a dongle. If you want hardwired then get some tplink plugs (uses your mains wiring instead of separate LAN) to extend the reach of your router. 

In either case I would say a Bluesound Node2 is about as far as you need go as it will do wireless or hardwired + Bluetooth. The Node2 is easily managed via your phone/tablet/computer, and will do Internet radio, Spotify, Tidal etc + access music on a NAS or computer (provided comp is on). SQ is good from its native DAC and also has Coaxial out to feed your own, it will also play from a USB stick and ipods can also be plugged in and controlled via the app. 

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer

With regards Wi-Fi/hard wired options, as John/Lurch says... in my case, until I get a hardwire from my router to my server, I use two of these...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-PA4010KIT-Powerline-Configuration-Required-UK/dp/B01BECPIMC/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=1UZ35K9SG6THT&keywords=tp+link&qid=1556275570&s=gateway&sprefix=tp+link%2Caps%2C332&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1

One connects to my router in the back room (where my NAS is situated) whilst the second connects to my streamer/server in the front room. Its not ideal and some will say that electrical noise can be added, but they work beautifully :) 

• Like 1

Cheers. That looks pretty straightforward. 

Super Wammer

I think I’d budget somewhere between £500 and a grand brand new, in your shoes, pp.  My first venture into streaming was using the Logitech Squeezebox Touch. It was ridiculously good, but Logitech dropped it after a couple of years, even though for the display alone it has rarely been bettered.  The whole point was it works wirelessly, though an Ethernet option is available.  

I was quite able to stream 24/96 files from my MacBook without a glitch.  I actually get more hiccups currently with a wired Linn DS, albeit rarely, and to be fair our network has far more demand these days as SWMBO is always listening to iPlayer or a Radio app on her iPad.   If you’re more computer literate than me, the Touch can be tweaked for even better results, or used with an external DAC. 

It is currently unused, and I photographed it recently for eBay but haven’t got around to listing it. As it’s you, I’d be happy to send it to you to play with for the cost of the postage, or can drop it off when next visiting Surrey.  No obligation, obviously.  

However if you’ve decided to streaming already and want a more current design then I’ve also heard good reports of the Bluesound, and the newer i version is apparently better.  A used Linn Sneaky DS I found really fine, and with a great control app in Kazoo, but Ethernet only, so you’d need power line thingies. They currently sell for about £400 privately or up to £599 from a dealer like Krescendo. 

• Like 1

Super Wammer

Another option if as you say in your OP, your looking to surplant your CDP and put your CDs in the loft/charity shop, is the Bluesound Vault2. This has a slot to poke the CDs in and will automatically burn and index your discs to a 2TB internal drive, spitting them out when the burn is complete. You then access them through the library in the app and even build playlists for parties etc. 

• Like 1

I would not put your CD's in the charity shop unless you have made two backups of all your music on other hard drives. Hard drives are split into two camps, those that have failed and those that will fail. I have learnt this the hard way.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Nopiano said:

I think I’d budget somewhere between £500 and a grand brand new, in your shoes, pp.  My first venture into streaming was using the Logitech Squeezebox Touch. It was ridiculously good, but Logitech dropped it after a couple of years, even though for the display alone it has rarely been bettered.  The whole point was it works wirelessly, though an Ethernet option is available.  

I was quite able to stream 24/96 files from my MacBook without a glitch.  I actually get more hiccups currently with a wired Linn DS, albeit rarely, and to be fair our network has far more demand these days as SWMBO is always listening to iPlayer or a Radio app on her iPad.   If you’re more computer literate than me, the Touch can be tweaked for even better results, or used with an external DAC. 

It is currently unused, and I photographed it recently for eBay but haven’t got around to listing it. As it’s you, I’d be happy to send it to you to play with for the cost of the postage, or can drop it off when next visiting Surrey.  No obligation, obviously.  

However if you’ve decided to streaming already and want a more current design then I’ve also heard good reports of the Bluesound, and the newer i version is apparently better.  A used Linn Sneaky DS I found really fine, and with a great control app in Kazoo, but Ethernet only, so you’d need power line thingies. They currently sell for about £400 privately or up to £599 from a dealer like Krescendo. 

Thanks very much Nopiano.

What's power line thingies? I'm still a novice when it comes to modtech.

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, plasticpenguin said:

Thanks very much Nopiano.

What's power line thingies? I'm still a novice when it comes to modtech.

The TPlinks as mentioned by me & orbscure.

The starter kit I got had 1 master which takes a hardwire feed from the router and 1 slave that you put where its needed on the same ringmain. For upstairs I use a tplink range extender as this is a separate ringmain. Both the slave and the range extender are wireless aswell as having 2 output sockets for hardwiring network devices. 

Edited by Lurch
  • Upvote 1

Ah, right. I'll look into that. :^

5 hours ago, Bit Perfect said:

I would not put your CD's in the charity shop unless you have made two backups of all your music on other hard drives. Hard drives are split into two camps, those that have failed and those that will fail. I have learnt this the hard way.

One step at a time. I'll chew over the pros and cons of streaming over the next few days.

Start simple ...

https://www.richersounds.com/arcam-bluetooth-receiver.html

£79 and you can all stream to it from your smartphones.

BBC iPlayer Radio, Spotify, internet radio, Amazon Prime Music. ... whatever.

In this case you don’t even need the wireless network. Just need to be in the same room with the MiniBlink and the hifi.

Worry about the more ambitious stuff later. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chebby said:

Start simple ...

In this case you don’t even need the wireless network. Just need to be in the same room with the MiniBlink and the hifi.

The Arcam is good, however beaten by a Google Chromecast Audio for SQ. plus the cca is only £30 too. 

I had an Arcam rBlink (mini blink big brother) and did side by side comparison. 

So I do not suggest doing this from my own experience. 

4 hours ago, chebby said:

Start simple ...

Looks good.

Would that still work with my Android Smartphone? 

Super Wammer
11 minutes ago, plasticpenguin said:

Would that still work with my Android Smartphone? 

If your Android phone/device has bluetooth (which I'd be surprised if it didn't) then once paired, you're good to go...