Sign in to follow this  
formann

Repair case of Akurate 4200

Hi, I've bought two 2nd hand A4200 with Dynamic power supply. Although well packed (not original box) and marked with glass the handling resulted in the speaker terminals have been pushed such that the back plate has been bent. It appears that it's only attached with screws such that it is easily removed such that it can be formed to the correct form again. Both amps work well and I have good communication with seller.

The picture is from quick test to check if it works. Amps will be used for my Akubariks

Has anyone got experience with removing the back plate?

Øyvind I

Bent back plate.jpg

Bent back plate internal.jpg

Super Wammer

Claim on the courier insurance for every penny you can get out of them!

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, sunbeamgls said:

Claim on the courier insurance for every penny you can get out of them!

They'll just say it wasn't packed properly, the original packaging is really the only way to be safe!

2 hours ago, Tin said:

Then let them say it.

Nobody achieved nothing by giving up before starting.

Agreed, you've got to try!

Hi, it was easy, well a couple of hours with disassembly and assembly. Took them off and managed to get them 98% straight. Sounds marvellous.

Posted (edited)

Hi

I don't wish to freak you out as you've probably nothing to worry about (other than the cosmetics of it all) but I would at least ponder whether any more subtle damage might have been done (though that it plays does imply that things are likely alright). I am not at all familiar with the construction of the Akurate amps, but looking at your picture, I would be concerned about any stresses that might have been placed on where these small printed circuit boards connect together. I can't see from the photo (I'd need to see one from a different angle, such that I can see how the horizontal and vertical boards are electrically and mechanically connected) as it could be that the way in which the vertical boards (through which the speaker terminals are mounted) are attached to the horizontal boards means that the flexing has done no harm (it might have effectively resulted in a slight bending of some wire or pins, which would indeed be harmless) but I think you should get that photo sent to the Linn helpline such that one of their engineers can advise on whether that is likely. In general, PCBs can be slightly flexed without any damage happening, but depending on the exact construction, there is always the danger of partially cracked a PCB track and/or stressed solder joints (where that vertical board connects to the horizontal board, which looks to be well attached to the base) so that is why I would at least ask them that question.

I also note that the right hand vertical board appears to have a significant bend (between the two extreme right terminals) but I spspect that might not be a problem as there will likely not be any electrical track crossing that bent area (or likely any components between the +ve and ground pair of terminals) so the whilst the bending of that board looks rather bad, it's probably not at all detrimental. Again though, it would be best if someone from Linn (who knows what's on these boards; I just cannot tell from the angle of that photo) could confirm that hypothesis.

To be honest, I would be for exploring the insurance situation and thus it gives you the option of getting that amp back to Linn to have these smaller boards closely inspected (or even just replaced) but at the very least, I would at ask Linn (or a very knowledgable dealer; one who is capable of electronic repair jobs) whether they think - with them better knowing the exact construction better than I do - that bash has likely been trivial, or whether it is one that might merit closer inspection.

Briain

Edited by Briain

I think Briain’s suggestions are, as ever, on the nose. The amp could well have been dropped to cause this damage and problems may be being stored up for the future. 

Mick

Sign in to follow this