Craig

Gorillapods - anyone use them for travel ?

I'm heading away for a few long weekends in the coming weeks, and I'm trying to keep it all to carry-on luggage. I quite fancy doing some big-city night-photography, which requires a tripod 

I 'could' pack and walk-around with my wee-ish 3-legged-thing tripod, but I'm wondering whether I should instead use a gorillapod. 

I have an old one from years back which I ever really used then, and can't use now as my kit is much bigger / heavier (relatively) and my main conern is that if there's nothing to sit the Gorillapod on or around, then I'll end up getting down on my knees to take shots with it on the ground, which seems like a royal pain in the ass in waiting.

Has anyone been happy to use them for city work, or is it just too much faff to find something to which it will attach / sit upon? 

I’ve never got away with one to be honest, very much like my Manfrotto Pixi which is really good I think. Worth a look at, slips in your pocket and is stable.

I'd looked at that too, and as good as it looks, I figured it offered less flexibility (I.e. I can't attach it to a post / railing) and I still have to go doggy style if I want to set a shot up from the pavement.

Do you do that, or just look for something to plonk it on? That's my main concern; that there would be insufficient things to rest such a tripod upon

Posted (edited)

I’ll stand it on a wall or anything else available, you can hold it against a fence for support if your exposure isn’t very lengthy. If you are shooting pavement level  admittedly it’s a bind with a bad back :)

The Gorillapod won’t necassarily fasten on every fence or what have you. Sometimes I carry a carbon lightweight tripod which in reality gives you the best flexibility - this is what I use https://www.parkcameras.com/p/T3730107B/carbon-fibre-tripods/3-legged-thing/punks-billy-airhed-neo-carbon-fibre-tripod-kit?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=pricecomp&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjwkoDmBRCcARIsAG3xzl8v9I3s2zs54u03XH_xR6QHBMMHraSMuzO2TxKMYXRXpPRP2HLIdVYaAiAOEALw_wcB

Is that the one you use ?

Thats not a cheap option though - it’s very light and folds up small and is easily attached to a backpack. I use mine with a Manfrotto ball head - the included one is OK but I prefer to swap my favourite ballhead  across my 3 tripods - my Pixi gets more use than any of the others.

Edited by Sumdumgi

Cheers Les

I have a 3LT Punk Travis, I think. It's not carbon,  and around 15kg IIRC. I could take it at a push, but I'd rather not cart it around with me attached to my bag TBH. Olly in a pouch and Joby in the back pocket 

Have bought the Joby now, it'll come in really handy for when I go wild camping in a few months time. Weight is king so that vs the 3LT tripod is a no brainer 

Thanks for your help, as always 

• Like 1

I have the Manfrotto Pixi too and have used that quite a lot. I also take the Gorillapod but I tend not to end up using it much, more often than not I just need a stable level base and the Gorillapods are tricky to level I find. But they are light - my main travel tripod is a manfrotto BeFree Carbon. Have fun on your travels 👍

Had a Gorillapod, gave it to my nephew - I thought it was crap. Still have a wee Chinese gorillapod copy somewhere but never use it. I use a Manfrotto monopod compact (MM COMPACT RD)...and a 1960s Minolta mini-tripod which cost me £3 at a charity jumble...

The tripod is really handy and when folded away both that and the monopod take up very little room. I use my Minolta and Lubite 6x6 regularly so often support is required. The 'pods combined weight is negligible.

Have a look on Rocky Cameras...https://www.rockycameras.com/,  he has a good/bad reputation online. I only had problems once when he was still with Paypal, it was resolved immediately. If you buy anything, make sure that you know exactly what you want/need and there should be no problems. Been buying stuff from him for years, usually in his regular sales - eg Minolta XE+1.4mm Minolta lens £25. ZeniT C  plus lens £30 (A rare camera). He mat have an old lightweight monopod or mini tripod like mine. Worth a look...

Smithy

WP_20190503_12_27_27_Raw.jpg

WP_20190503_12_30_14_Raw.jpg

WP_20190503_12_27_41_Raw.jpg

Posted (edited)

Well, I won’t say it was a simple experience, but I managed to get by with the gorilla pod on the Brussels trip.

Certainly a damn sight easier than taking a small ‘proper’ tripod with me, and - in addition to the sitting on a hedge shot below - the gorillapod excelled at allowing me to affix it to a railing or a post, which the other 'mini' options wouldn't have done 

03b5e863b249e1cff93daad5751eca24.jpg

8614a1e8390777f684bb3b88ec797b09.jpg

Edited by Craig