newlash09

Any ideas or pointers to building a media cabinet

27 minutes ago, newlash09 said:

By the way...that system is not mine. It was just one of those random pics I found on Google,  looking for cable management. Just goes to show how it is not to be ignored :D

Below is the actual pic of my system before it was packed under my daughter's bed. So the plan is to get all that kit into a state of decent permanency on a rack. Apart from what is already in the picture, there are some new additions too, a dedicated pre amp, a separate CD player, a tuner and some tube mono block amps. So Iam planning on going vertical with the design to keep everything in one compact rack. As it is actually my daughters bedroom, wanted to keep it as compact as possible, with minimal foot print. 

IMG-20190323-WA0009.thumb.jpg.e01e99926bd3a861fff1bccd1edc01a9.jpg

That actually looks pretty nice I think. I'm amazed you were able to shave a polar bear. 😊

The downside with vertical IMHO is that you'll have power cables going all the way up, and ideally you want to keep them away as much as possible from your interconnects and speaker cables.

My next cabinet, which is still firmly in the dream-on phase, will have 2 or even 3 vertical layers of mesh on the rear, to allow cables being tie wrapped firmly into place and away from the other cables. No more spaghetti for me.

1 minute ago, Tin said:

That actually looks pretty nice I think. I'm amazed you were able to shave a polar bear. 😊

The downside with vertical IMHO is that you'll have power cables going all the way up, and ideally you want to keep them away as much as possible from your interconnects and speaker cables.

My next cabinet, which is still firmly in the dream-on phase, will have 2 or even 3 vertical layers of mesh on the rear, to allow cables being tie wrapped firmly into place and away from the other cables. No more spaghetti for me.

Thanks a lot Tin :)

Yeah there certainly will be a problem with power cables, interconnects and speakers cables, all vying for space in the back. But I will have to see how best to segregate them once in place. Especially with  every box having its power and line inputs at different sides from left to right . So will be challenging to get it right :)

By the way the shaved polar bear was on sale on Amazon :D