newlash09

Any ideas or pointers to building a media cabinet

Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, jas0_0 said:

Hi @newlash09, I thought I'd share a couple of pics of my custom-made equipment unit in case they're useful or inspire something.  I drew up the design for a free-standing metal frame and gave it to a local welder.   Then I just laid the scaffold plank shelves on top, using blue tack to keep them in place.  I quite like the rough edges for now, but eventually I'll sand them properly, or get some reclaimed hardwood if I can afford it.  

IMG_2790.JPG

IMG_2795.JPG

Thanks Jas :)

That looks like a good idea. And I can expand it further if required as the kit grows. I guess I will design something similar as per my requirements, and just wrap the frame in vinyl..Thanks for sharing this :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, newlash09 said:

Thanks Jas :)

That looks like a good idea. And I can expand it further if required as the kit grows. I guess I will design something similar as per my requirements, and just wrap the frame in vinyl..Thanks for sharing this :)

Very welcome, glad to be of help!  Powder coating might also be an option if you’re not into the bare metal look.  I got a bike sand blasted and powder coated in London for less than £100 so doesn’t break the bank

J

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/04/2019 at 18:45, jas0_0 said:

Very welcome, glad to be of help!  Powder coating might also be an option if you’re not into the bare metal look.  I got a bike sand blasted and powder coated in London for less than £100 so doesn’t break the bank

J

Hi again jas...just needed some advise. Will powder coating be a more rugged finish that can take some abuse or will it be better to go with a standard automotive painting job. Thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, newlash09 said:

Hi again jas...just needed some advise. Will powder coating be a more rugged finish that can take some abuse or will it be better to go with a standard automotive painting job. Thanks 

I had the top cover from my now sold Marantz PM4 powder coated and it looked amazing. All finishes will scratch if that's what you mean by rugged but powder coated is always baked so should be pretty rugged. It's also normally cheaper to get items powder coated as the process is simpler. Sandblast, clean & then apply the material, bake and voila...

Lots of finishes and colours too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, newlash09 said:

Hi again jas...just needed some advise. Will powder coating be a more rugged finish that can take some abuse or will it be better to go with a standard automotive painting job. Thanks 

I’m no expert but I think powder coating should be tougher - you’re effectively adding a layer of plastic which is less prone to chipping than paint.  I had my bicycle done 5 years ago and it still looks great (when I get around to cleaning it).  

You can also get powder coating in metallic finishes - my bike is a sort of metallic steel grey.  

Might be worth asking on something like a custom motorbike forum for more experienced opinions though.

Hope that helps,

J

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, parcelmonkey said:

I had the top cover from my now sold Marantz PM4 powder coated and it looked amazing. All finishes will scratch if that's what you mean by rugged but powder coated is always baked so should be pretty rugged. It's also normally cheaper to get items powder coated as the process is simpler. Sandblast, clean & then apply the material, bake and voila...

Lots of finishes and colours too!

Great....Thanks a lot for the advise. Actually just looking at normal wear tear during transportation. Once in place at home, should be abuse free.  Iam looking  for a metallic chrome finish. Iam a bling addict :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, jas0_0 said:

I’m no expert but I think powder coating should be tougher - you’re effectively adding a layer of plastic which is less prone to chipping than paint.  I had my bicycle done 5 years ago and it still looks great (when I get around to cleaning it).  

You can also get powder coating in metallic finishes - my bike is a sort of metallic steel grey.  

Might be worth asking on something like a custom motorbike forum for more experienced opinions though.

Hope that helps,

J

Thanks a lot for the advise jas...I was thinking of automotive finish for a superior finer finish . But will explore powder coating now as it seems to be flexible with finish options. Thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, newlash09 said:

Great.... Iam looking  for a metallic chrome finish. Iam a bling addict :D

http://www.hmgpowdercoatings.com/powder-coating/signature-finish-collection

Just a quick search brings up this site so your preferred finish should be just around the corner. Lots of shiny finishes available. You might just start a trend, you never know!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, parcelmonkey said:

http://www.hmgpowdercoatings.com/powder-coating/signature-finish-collection

Just a quick search brings up this site so your preferred finish should be just around the corner. Lots of shiny finishes available. You might just start a trend, you never know!

Really thanks a lot for sharing that sir. Much appreciated. Will go through the available finishes now. More bling is always better :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Tin said:

I designed a rack for my equipment about 10 years ago, and for me the lessons learned would be:

- better attention to cable management

- better airflow

- vibration controlI  

I still like how it looks though:

20190603_205941.thumb.jpg.2f88712c8c8862ea7ba87d6a78486485.jpg

Thanks for sharing Tin :)

It does look fantastic indeed. Very well done sir :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tin said:

You should see the back.. all those cables.. the horror, the Horror! 😁

But I'll gladly accept the compliment; thank you. 😊

Does it look as bad as this :D

images (47).jpeg

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Tin said:

Darn... no it doesn't.. I'm shocked..

By the way...that system is not mine. It was just one of those random pics I found on Google,  looking for cable management. Just goes to show how it is not to be ignored :D

  Below is the actual pic of my system before it was packed under my daughter's bed. So the plan is to get all that kit into a state of decent permanency on a rack. Apart from what is already in the picture, there are some new additions too, a dedicated pre amp, a separate CD player, a tuner and some tube mono block amps. So Iam planning on going vertical with the design to keep everything in one compact rack. As it is actually my daughters bedroom, wanted to keep it as compact as possible, with minimal foot print. 

IMG-20190323-WA0009.thumb.jpg.e01e99926bd3a861fff1bccd1edc01a9.jpg

Edited by newlash09
Added content

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.