neiloxford

Linn Majik with Chord Qutest Vs Linn Klimax Renew DS/1

55 minutes ago, sunbeamgls said:

I've heard the passive version driven very well by a "mere" Lejonklou and sounded very enjoyable.  Would like to hear them Exakted with 5x Tundras though.

Or 10 Tundra Monos for that matter :cool:

1 hour ago, sunbeamgls said:

I've heard the passive version driven very well by a "mere" Lejonklou and sounded very enjoyable.  Would like to hear them Exakted with 5x Tundras though.

Chris of Hidden Systems did demo a Tundra in my system. Very detailed and responsive, but I think I prefer the extra grunt of the A2200 in a 5-way system. In that regard, I agree with Tin that the big crossover needs power to drive it properly. However, given that the 200wpc of the A2200 coped pretty well in the passive system I had, I do not share Tin's reservations about the 500wpc Solos.

Incidentally, Chris told me that he currently has a pair of passive Akubariks on demo. I think that he also mentioned that he has 5 Tundras in stock ...

David

59 minutes ago, Tendaberry said:

Or 10 Tundra Monos for that matter :cool:

That's probably most of the production run to date ... ::)

David

• Haha 1

Super Wammer
6 minutes ago, DavidHB said:

Chris of Hidden Systems did demo a Tundra in my system. Very detailed and responsive, but I think I prefer the extra grunt of the A2200 in a 5-way system. In that regard, I agree with Tin that the big crossover needs power to drive it properly. However, given that the 200wpc of the A2200 coped pretty well in the passive system I had, I do not share Tin's reservations about the 500wpc Solos.

Incidentally, Chris told me that he currently has a pair of passive Akubariks on demo. I think that he also mentioned that he has 5 Tundras in stock ...

David

I look forward to the Travelogue...

9 minutes ago, sunbeamgls said:

I look forward to the Travelogue...

I've been to Windsor (not to see Chris) once this month already. I don't need to travel to chase up my Slipsik order ...

David

Posted (edited)
On 23/04/2019 at 23:00, entdgc said:

Hi Briain,

Interesting that your system has changed. So you are happier with ADSM/3 (I presume that means Katalyst) than KlimaxDS/1? But isn't the 345A a sub? Do you mean 350A - I think you used to run these?

Dave

Hi Dave

Sorry, as Tin correctly realised, it was indeed a typo.

The full story is that I first swapped my KDS/0 Renew (for the bedroom system) for an ADS/0, then immediately submitted the ADS/0 for an upgrade to a Katalyst ADSM. I hadn't even heard an Akurate Katalyst, but I had previously heard the difference between a KDS and Katalyst KDS and the difference was so large that I was confident an Akurate Katalyst DS would beat any pre-Katalyst Klimax DS.

At that time, the lounge system comprised a KDS/1 for music and an ADSM for AV sound (both being fed into a KK/1 preamp), so when the above ADSM/3 arrived, I plumbed it into the lounge system (and dispatched the lounge ADSM to also be upgraded to Katalyst) thus ensuring that I had no loss of AV sound whilst the second unit was back at Linn.

When I first switched it on, it was immediately obvious that the TV sound was massively better (I immediately noticed that the high frequencies were astonishingly good) so after running it in (for a few weeks, doing TV sound every evening) a good friend (with externally amplified Exakt Akubariks) and I compared the Katalyst ADSM to the KDS/1 using streamed music (both set to fixed output and feeding into the KK/1) and whilst KDS/1 gave slightly more weight to the sound (which was nice), in all other ways (including bass resolution and bass tunes) the ADSM sounded superior. When we then removed the KK/1 (and enabled DVC in the ADSM) the sound - both in terms of detail and musicality - was further improved (and the slight loss of 'weight' to the sound was also restored) and thus it was a no-brainer, as they say; we were both clearly of the opinion that the ADSM on its own was better than the KDS/1+KK/1 combination, in all respects.

I left it like that for a few months, then earlier this year, I pondered getting my KDS upgraded to Katalyst (going back to using it for music and the ADSM for AV, with both being fed into the KK/1). Before taking the decision, I re-inserted the KK/1 - just to see what difference it made - and the TV sound was significantly deteriorated by its presence (the voices were smeared across the sound stage - it was a bit like switching off the centre speaker in a 5.1 system - and the definition was noticeably reduced). In fact, the preamp lasted in the system for under 1 minute before I'd switched it off and reverted to using just the ADSM! This was a bit of a problem for the final plan as with the key roll of the main system now being to provide TV sound, there was no way I was going to compromise that, just to get the occasional streamed tune sounding good (perhaps; I don't know if a KDS/3+KK/1 would sound better than a Katalyst ADSM, but I now suspect that it might not) and thus the plan to also upgrade the KDS to Katalyst was immediately scrapped. I did seriously consider upgrading it to a KDSM, but in my system layout, by using both RCA and XLR outputs, one 'leg' the balanced outputs would have been linked a few centimetres of cable behind the DSM (at RCA the inputs to my miniDSP) then grounded over 8 metres away (at the 345 sub) which would have been a somewhat technically questionable arrangement. I did come up with a solution - building external balanced to unbalanced buffer amps for the DSP feed - after enquiring abut the KDS->KDSM conversion, I was informed that the option was no longer available, so at that point, I just gave up and sold my KDS.

So, that's where I now am (a very happy chap with the ADSM Katalyst balanced outputs feeding 350A and its RCA outputs feeding the miniDSP, which then feeds the 345 rear sub) and after some recent work with the miniDSP filters (to better phase track the 350A lower bass units; I used a pair of kick drum microphones and an oscilloscope to do so) and then some more SO tweaking (I'm using SO V2 filters imported into Konfig; I needed custom SO filters due to subs not yet being included into the on-line SO V2 system) the system is now sounding really quite respectable (and particularly so at the lager de-fizzing end of the audio spectrum)! :)

Bri

Edited by Briain

If you do not use Space Optimisation then it is definitely worth investigating Qutest as it is a wonderful DAC. If you need the benefits of SO then it is not really the way to go. You can do room correction with a UPnP server such as J River Media Centre, but it becomes quite complex. I run Linn (LP12, TV & streaming) and Chord (CDs, Headphones) systems, but do not mix components as I tend to find each works best with its matching units. I enjoy both systems in different rooms. I wouldn’t say one is better than the other, they are different and both first class. You need to audition various approaches and decide upon the one you prefer; give Qutest a go if you can, it can be upgraded with M-Scaler, which takes it to another level in my opinion,

Picked up an Akurate DSM/1 with the idea of upgrading to Katalyst when funds allow.

What an upgrade from my Majik DS !

I had no idea it would be such a leap.

Thank you.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, neiloxford said:

Picked up an Akurate DSM/1 with the idea of upgrading to Katalyst when funds allow.

Thank you.

Congrats! It’s a nice piece of equipment indeed. Enjoy.

Expect another leap if you go for Katalyst :)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, HansBertil said:

Congrats! It’s a nice piece of equipment indeed. Enjoy.

Expect another leap if you go for Katalyst :)

I would say another leap of pretty similar size!

1 hour ago, neiloxford said:

Thank you.

Congratulations! Enjoy, and let's hope Katalyst is within reach very soon.

And even if it isn't, you have a great streamer now. 😊