The site will be out of service again for further upgrades regarding security fixes. Work will be carried out between 4.30am and 5.30am tomorrow morning. We apologise for the inconvenience.

My LP12 is plumbed into an Akurate System Hub (ASH).  The LP12 is more or less Akurate spec but still using Valhalla.

I am considering a Lingo but fret that I will be shutting the door on an Urika 2.

A search found this ... https://www.transvinyl.com/index_en.html

I have seen a page that suggests a price of 3,000 euros.  It is doing the same job (convert to digital, apply RIAA, output at 24/192) as the ASH and the Urika.

Do we know anything about the TransVinyl device?  How does it compare with the ADC in the ASH and the Urika?  Why aren't there more of these "digital phono stages"?  Am I wasting my time (and yours)?

Either Urika will of course require a Radikal. If you are not getting a Radikal any time soon, the Lingo 4 is a really good stepping stone. In line with the established LP12 hierarchy, getting the power supply and motor combination up to the best standard you can afford should take priority over the phono stage. Your Hub has a very competent phono stage and ADC built in. Incidentally, it is perhaps worth pointing out that the RIAA compensation in the Urika II is not fully digital. Linn couldn't find an ADC that would  directly convert the input from an MC cartridge, so the Urika II does preliminary amplification and compensation in the analogue domain before the conversion to digital, where the compensation is fine tuned.

You also don't say what sub-chassis, arm and cartridge combination you are using, or whether.indeed your LP12 has a Cirkus bearing. Again, all of these are arguably higher priority than the phono stage. Assuming that you are using the Cirkus, and a Radikal is financially out of range, the Lingo 4 should be your top priority, with a Kore and any arm and cartridge upgrade coming next in order (if you don't have them already). 

I'm afraid that I don't know anything about the Transvinyl device. For €3,000, I'd want to hear it in comparison with the phono stage in the Hub (and with the Linn Uphorik, which is cheaper) before making any purchase.

David

2 hours ago, FearOfMusic said:

My LP12 is plumbed into an Akurate System Hub (ASH).  The LP12 is more or less Akurate spec but still using Valhalla.

I am considering a Lingo but fret that I will be shutting the door on an Urika 2.

I have seen a page that suggests a price of 3,000 euros.  It is doing the same job (convert to digital, apply RIAA, output at 24/192) as the ASH and the Urika.

Do we know anything about the TransVinyl device?  How does it compare with the ADC in the ASH and the Urika?  Why aren't there more of these "digital phono stages"?  Am I wasting my time (and yours)?

I wouldn't worry too much about getting a Lingo 4, it'll be a massive improvement and if you do decide to go further, you can always trade it when getting the Radikal. The Valhalla is really holding your current LP12 back.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Tendaberry said:

I wouldn't worry too much about getting a Lingo 4, it'll be a massive improvement and if you do decide to go further, you can always trade it when getting the Radikal. The Valhalla is really holding your current LP12 back.

I fully agree.

• Upvote 1

Thank you, folks.

In other news, I have just ordered the Katalyst upgrade for my Exaktbox ... the Lingo will have to wait ... I'll probably do the Lingo in a few months time.

I like the idea of phono stage that outputs a 24/192 digital stream  ... I shall follow developments with interest.

Posted (edited)

I am delighted with Urika II. I was sceptical about converting analogue LP replay to digital then I heard Urika II.  I have never heard or even heard of Trans Vinyl, but just because it uses similar concepts does not mean it will sound as good as Urika II. It might, but only an audition can confirm. I think you also need to consider build quality and support. I stick with Linn or Chord Electronics these days as I get superb sound, build and support from relatively local manufacturers and dealers. I know some lesser known or smaller companies can make great products, but i am more than happy to stay with two major brands.

Have a listen to Urika II - best phono stage I have heard. Be interested to know if you concur. I wonder if Linn will ever implement a scratch filter similar to the impressive Sweet Vinyl Sugar Cube,  

Edited by Nestor Turton

9 hours ago, FearOfMusic said:

Thank you, folks.

In other news, I have just ordered the Katalyst upgrade for my Exaktbox ... the Lingo will have to wait ... I'll probably do the Lingo in a few months time.

I like the idea of phono stage that outputs a 24/192 digital stream  ... I shall follow developments with interest.

Nice. I am waiting on being able to afford these exakt (if you'll excuse the pun) same two upgrades, though I have a Lingo 2 at present rather than a Valhalla.  Unfortunately I made the mistake of putting the family first and we've just had an extension built, which has completely bled us dry. Take my advice people and always go for the hifi before alterations to your house!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nestor Turton said:

Have a listen to Urika II - best phono stage I have heard.

Me too. It's just a pity that it isn't MM-compatible (and, I guess, never will be). So it's the Slipsik 7 for me.

I cannot help wondering what the SINGularity sounds like. But as only two pairs have been built so far, and one is in Sweden and the other in the US, I don't suppose that I'll get to find out any time soon.

David

3 minutes ago, Solanum said:

Take my advice people and always go for the hifi before alterations to your house!

Doesn't that somewhat depend on the degree of influence your local domestic goddess (or SWMBO as the case may be) has over decisions on priorities? Did the extension at least enable you to improve the listening space, by any chance?

David

On 20/04/2019 at 20:08, FearOfMusic said:

Also, this looks like a really nice device for someone who wants to get a decent turntable, has a good DAC, but doesn't have a phono stage. Being as you (and I), already have most of what it does, it would really have to be something good to make it worthwhile adding in-between the LP12 and the ASH (AEDSM). Also, will the ASH take a (physical) digital input at 192/24 (I don't think it will output digital at that via the physical digital outputs?), or would the transvinyl system need to stream to the network and then be picked up via the control app?

3 minutes ago, DavidHB said:

Doesn't that somewhat depend on the degree of influence your local domestic goddess (or SWMBO as the case may be) has over decisions on priorities? Did the extension at least enable you to improve the listening space, by any chance?

David

Sadly not and, worse, it has reduced my listening opportunities by generating a lot of DIY for me to do!

4 minutes ago, Solanum said:

it would really have to be something good to make it worthwhile adding in-between the LP12 and the ASH (AEDSM).

Just so. The phono stages (MC and MM) in the Akurate System Hub are already pretty good; They are probably not worth replacing with a Uphorik, for instance, unless you need the Uphorik's facilities for cartridge matching. Whichever Urika suits your system configuration is likely, despite the price difference, to be the most worthwhile long term replacement for anyone who uses an MC cartridge in an LP12.

David

14 minutes ago, Solanum said:

Sadly not and, worse, it has reduced my listening opportunities by generating a lot of DIY for me to do!

Think how satisfying it will be to listen when all that DIY is virtuously done for the day ... :)

David

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DavidHB said:

Just so. The phono stages (MC and MM) in the Akurate System Hub are already pretty good; They are probably not worth replacing with a Uphorik, for instance, unless you need the Uphorik's facilities for cartridge matching. Whichever Urika suits your system configuration is likely, despite the price difference, to be the most worthwhile long term replacement for anyone who uses an MC cartridge in an LP12.

David

8 hours ago, Solanum said:

Also, this looks like a really nice device for someone who wants to get a decent turntable, has a good DAC, but doesn't have a phono stage. Being as you (and I), already have most of what it does, it would really have to be something good to make it worthwhile adding in-between the LP12 and the ASH (AEDSM). Also, will the ASH take a (physical) digital input at 192/24 (I don't think it will output digital at that via the physical digital outputs?), or would the transvinyl system need to stream to the network and then be picked up via the control app?

Urika + Radikal + MC cartridge is more than I want to spend so I will be staying with the phono in the ASH ... because I agree that it is more than adequate.

My understanding is that the TransVinyl device functions as a music server and the ASH would find it on the network as it does any other server.  I hope to see more such phono to digital devices ... it might help the vinyl revival.

Hi-FI...just like life....is far too complicated these days.

I think I might start  going in the other direction and upgrade towards a big horn loaded wind up gramophone ...with none of that  new fangled elec-trickery  to bugger the sound up.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1