Jester 7

Sat 8th June, Oxfordshire Bake Off; M4 Jn8/9, Henley on Thames RG9 2AR

Super Wammer

The Linn vs Brinkman turntable was a direct A vs B comparison using similar 470ohm loaded cartridges.  Both fed into the same PS audio Phono stage which then did ADC digitally to input via high quality digital coax to the Kii3+BXT speakers. We just switched the Phono leads between both turntables. (the Phono leads are considered part of the turntable set-up)  

Both turntables sounded well set up with no obvious lack of bass or treble and a well integrated musical presentation. 

Yet as the owner of the Linn I was happy to agree with everyone that the Linn was trounced. 

In my opinion the Brinkman had a more solid and tighter bass, more inner detail and more nuance with the singer's and instruments. 

However in my opinion the differences were not massive. 

Now I  wonder what would have happened if we did the test as a double blind like the the Toslink cable test?  Would the Linn have come out on top? 

Would some in the audience have given different scores back to back, even if we did not change turntables on the same piece of music? Which happened for 12 out of 15 members on the cable test.

Hence my conclusion that there must be a better test for comparing hi-fi than this (in my opinion) flawed double blind test. 

Please can I ask who in the audience thought that the Linn was better than the Brinkman?  (Please PM me if you want to express your opinion privately? )

Edited by Jester 7
Clarification

Just to clarify something, I was actually joking in my last post.

And there should be more blind tests, even if nothing conclusive comes out of it, its fun!

Super Wammer
2 hours ago, joolz said:

In the A/B Brinkman to LP12 test, i think everyone agreed there was only one star of the show.

Even though I was not able to make this bake off, I know the Brinkman would have been my choice of TT, because I started MY hI-fI journey in the 70's , when every British Hi-Fi magazine told you the Linn was the only turntable worth considering, which of course was rubbish. So I immediately wrote it off, as something I would buy, and that has stuck with me ever since. I wonder how many people at the BO had the same bias, one way or another.