plasticpenguin

Any musicians on the forum?

Anyone play instruments? Drums/percussion, wind, guitar, paper and comb...?

I tried playing the guitar and realised I had no aptitude, even after six months of paying for a tutor. My acoustic guitar is hanging on wall brackets, collecting dust.

Posted (edited)

Time to try again. Learning to play a musical instrument is thought to be an excellent way of helping to slow down dementia ...

http://www.jneurosci.org/content/37/24/5948

Edited by chebby

Surprised not to see more replies, as there is at least one pro musician on here, and probably more. Plus a few who used to be.

I'm a happy amatuer. A little brass, and that's not a euphamism (or a euphonium) and keyboards. We have a stupid collection of guitars and similar and we are fairly hopeless. We went through a phase of buying stuff because it can be stupidly cheap. We also went through a phase where if I bought a bit of hifi, Anne could buy a musical instrument. That had to stop because the place was starting to look like a cross between Regent Sounds and the LSO rehearsal rooms.

Posted (edited)

@rabski Agreed: I was banking on there being a number of pros and tinkerers who'd partake...

One of the reasons, according to Mrs. P, why I like hi-fi so much is because I'm a frustrated musician. It's hard to disagree. 

Edited by plasticpenguin

Over the years I have become quite proficient on the Air Guitar and quite good on the Air Drums.   Tried a couple of times in my life at the Real Piano.  8 to 11 years old ( forced) and again round about 50 y.o. ( voluntary)  Not only was I not very good it, wasn't much fun. 

• Like 1

I used to dabble years ago. I think I liked the idea of being able to do it but found the practice boring, especially after a lesson. Relatively recently I was asked to store some stuff for a mate who has been going through some shit with his ex Mrs. Among the usual junk and stuff was one or three guitars. I thought why not and with the help of Andy Guitar and others on YouTube I've been having a bit of fun. I've made more progress in a short space of time than I ever did thanks to the internet. Having the guitar on a stand in the living room and the use of one better than I had previously helps quite a bit. Only on Monday morning I awoke in a state of alcohol fuelled confusion and decided to have a strum. A couple of new songs later I was ready for a bite to eat and a walk outdoors. These two songs struck me as being similar in some way or the other so I decided to look into it and they were, with the help of a capo. Usually I just learn the gist of a song and then content with that move on. However if I'm going to play with others for a bit of a jam then more effort is required. I can take it or leave it. I've no real musical ambitions which is just as well as I have no real musical talent but its my latest flavour of the month.

Can’t  play a note on anything, but spent 20 or so years building these things for people who can 😂

1F464C25-D374-4EB2-89F5-BF2543EFC548.thumb.jpeg.796e609ec712946c751df2dbf7349bc7.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, TigerTiger said:

Can’t  play a note on anything, but spent 20 or so years building these things for people who can 😂

1F464C25-D374-4EB2-89F5-BF2543EFC548.thumb.jpeg.796e609ec712946c751df2dbf7349bc7.jpeg

That's beautiful.

1 hour ago, Pete the Feet said:

Is the bottom one left handed?

No..it’s merely smaller, the first one is around a meter + more strings. But proportions are better.

Did when I was young, started trumpet at about 12.

Soon picked it up and had time to practice so played in a few chamber groups, town orchestra, school orchestra and a military band.

Got to Grade 8 and started LRAM; then got a job which took too much time.

If i'd been able to get to my first audition offer life could have been different.

Played occasionally since and did a series of alto sax jazz based improv classes but i'm terrible at playing by ear; more a mental block which I sometimes feel is at the end of my fingertips.

Dictation was strange, sometimes just wrote it straight down, other days couldn't tell a 3rd from a 5th.

Ultimately not that talented and not quite driven enough; I appreciate Mrs P's insight.

Interesting that you mentioned your inability to improvise or play by ear. Another highly trained and accomplished player I know has the same issue. He is a sometime teacher, plays trumpet in premier brass bands, West end shows, the London philharmonic etc and can only play the notes put in front of him.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Just purchased some new strings for the guitar. Once on I'll give it a good go, but because I haven't played for so long it'll take a while for the fingers to work to a decent level.

I come from a musical family: My dad played the piano, brother the drums... even our sewing machine is a singer. :whistle:

More seriously, let's see how the guitar sounds once the strings are fitted.