Millennium

naim 555 ps s//h

Would love to try one but these things cost a small fortune. And its a power supply!

here is what is inside

555PS.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Millennium said:

here is what is inside

555PS.jpg

It's lovely and a nice thought but I'm not sure if I will ever have a disposable 3 grand for a power supply. I don't think I could 'ever' justify that outlay on such an item. But I will say, never say never. 

I did try a Teddy Pardo power supply once on my amp which I thought made it sound worse. But it wasn't Naim and it wasn't this. My DAC would take this PS, but would it change my life, probably not. And considering its 3 grand for something that is a pure luxury / icing on the cake item. It's nuts! 

I have just sold an immaculate condition BMW M Sport convertible for less money!O.o

And even these PS's need an occasional service as well. For 3 grand 'used' you might have thought it would have lasted forever without any need of that.  

Edited by eddie-baby

12 minutes ago, eddie-baby said:

It's lovely and a nice thought but I'm not sure if I will ever have a disposable 3 grand for a power supply. I don't think I could 'ever' justify that outlay on such an item. But I will say, never say never. 

I did try a Teddy Pardo power supply once on my amp which I thought made it sound worse. But it wasn't Naim and it wasn't this. My DAC would take this PS, but would it change my life, probably not. And considering its 3 grand for something that is a pure luxury / icing on the cake item. It's nuts! 

I have just sold an immaculate condition BMW M Sport convertible for less money!O.o

And even these PS's need an occasional service as well. For 3 grand 'used' you might have thought it would have lasted forever without any need of that.  

yeah it's nuts. shocker hey? lolzors

4 minutes ago, Millennium said:

yeah it's nuts. shocker hey? lolzors

But there's still something in me that wants to try and even possibly buy it. I'll shelve that one for now. Not sure if there'll ever be a time I will take the opportunity. But that one is a very nice example and serviced.

be advised - the electrosound psu + audiolab mdac is inpressing me at 2.4 v or so 

!!!

I'm often one of the first to defend high retail prices for audio stuff, based on the costs involved in low-volume naufacturing. However, even I have to say that a 'new' price of close to seven grand for that is verging on joke territory.

• Like 3

That is a very hot topic for debate! 

I would love to try that Naim PS in the right circumstances. But even at their used prices I'm not sure if there will ever be the right circumstances. 

PSU's at the best of times I find a little bonkers, but this is one of the kings of the hill. 

I fell for the hype and added two PSX-Rs to my old Cyrus system.  It still sounded crap. :(

4 hours ago, Millennium said:

here is what is inside

555PS.jpg

I'm not an expert, but  capacitors, £40 each retail? 

Tranformer,   £100?

A few bits and bobs,  £??

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, meninblack said:

I fell for the hype and added two PSX-Rs to my old Cyrus system.  It still sounded crap. :(

Me too, I tried the Teddy Pardo, but luckily my ears told me it sounded worse after extensive A / B'ing. Sold it at no loss. 

But near 7 grand / 3 used there has to be some long term benefits to this 555 other than you can sell it on for perhaps what you paid for it. 

I tried the Cyrus PSU's as well, but it was a very long time ago. I don't think it left much of an impression. 

2 minutes ago, Colinjg said:

I'm not an expert, but  capacitors, £40 each retail? 

Tranformer,   £100?

A few bits and bobs,  £??

To be fair, it's never that simple. Low-volume runs of casework cost a bloody fortune for a start. Nevtheless, seven large buys an awful lot...

1 minute ago, eddie-baby said:

Me too, I tried the Teddy Pardo, but luckily my ears told me it sounded worse after extensive A / B'ing. Sold it at no loss. 

But near 7 grand / 3 used there has to be some long term benefits to this 555 other than you can sell it on for perhaps what you paid for it. 

I tried the Cyrus PSU's as well, but it was a very long time ago. I don't think it left much of an impression. 

Tru dat. However someone (or more than one person) has dropped four grand. For that, you could make I suspect more of a serious improvement than any power supply upgrade will give you.

It's all about the name... :whistle: