Craigas

And Now for Something Completely Different

Always wanted to better what I had from the mid 70’s right up to my current set-up which could be my last. My mother bought me a cassette player with twin separate speakers for my birthday and I signed up to a mail order music club that allowed my to pick 4 free cassettes. I can remember two of them, Crime of the Century by Supertramp and Abraxas by Santana. The only local dealer to me at the time was a furniture and electrical shop and when I got married in ‘76 I purchased a BeOLab system with separate turntable. I remember ‘renting’ our colour TV from the same shop. Like others here, I started to read Hi-Fi magazines, mainly Hi-Fi Answers, and unable to afford an LP12 purchased a Thorens TD160 with Ortofon cartridge in an arm that I can’t remember the name of. Amp was a Tecnics and speakers were Celestion Dutton 33’s. Amp was soon changed for a Sugden A20. Speakers changed a few years later to Kef Concordes. When the digital age started and CD’s appeared, I heard a friends setup, hearing my first CD track (Domino by Genesis) and I was hooked. Sold the turntable and all my vinyl (cringes at the memory) and purchased an early Philips CD player, a 140, which I still have up the loft somewhere. When I moved to my current home in 1987 and ended up with a 4mtr x 10mtr room with no neighbours to consider, it was time to up my game. When Linn released the Linn Classik with good reviews in the Hi-Fi press I auditioned it along with a pair of floor standing Mission speakers. I bought them both and this started my Linn journey. A few years later I got myself a lovely pair of Keilidhs followed closely by K400 speaker cable. I now had an all Linn system. eBay was my friend for a while and I stuck a pair of 280’s with Spark between the Classik and the Keilidhs. A friend, who had at one time the full LP12, Naim and Isobariks system, introduced me to his new toy, which was a Linn SneakyDS. I started to save my pennies for this new digital way of playing my music, meanwhile ripping my CD’s to flac format on my laptop. I discovered that connecting my laptop to the Classik and playing back the flac files was way preferable to listening to the CD on the Classik. My friend liked the SneakyDS that much he upgraded to a MagikDS and I promptly purchased the Sneaky from him. A 2250 then replaced the 280’s and AkurateDS/0 replaced the Sneaky. A lightening strike in 2018 wiped everything out except the Keilidhs and once the insurance paid out, I ended up with my current system of ADSM/3, Akurate 4200 and still had my beloved Keilidhs. Unless I win the lottery, this is me for ever unless I  decide to change the Kefor some Kudos speakers.

Edited by Billz
  • Like 1

1993 I bought a nice Harman Kardon 6500 Amp and MB Quart Speakers. 1994 I changed my Wega Turntable with my father's Technics Sl 1300. He bought his first Lp12 then.  CD Player was a Technics, too. 

Always happy with my Hifi sound till I started a short Odyssey by selling amp for a Denon 5.1 receiver and small Quadral surround speakers with sub. It was a lot of fun watching films, while hearing music was boring, now. 

So I decided to buy an used MajikI and Keilidh speakers with upgrade stands. Then i got 3 LK 100 and the Majik was only the preamp in active mode. Next was a Genki, before I changed the Keilidhs for Ninkas with the better stands. Then my first Lp12 with Akito 2b and Valhalla has moved in. Only a few month later I got a Lingo 1 which I changed to a Lingo 2. The next was a Kairn Pro and a Linto for my new Benz ACE SL MC cart. 

After that I swapped the Lk's to a C4200 and the Kairn with the last  Akurate Kontrol. I had the Kontrol for a year and bought an Akurate DSM Renew instead, before I got a Klimax DSM/1 Renew, an Akurate Exaktbox and a 2200, too. 

Meantime I had Katans and Majik 109 and an old Classic Music in a bedroom system. 

Two years ago I was able to get an ex-dem Akudoriks with Katalyst and the beloved Ninkas, the Exaktbox and the Akurate amps had to leave.

Then I did some upgrades to my wonderful Lp12. 

Now, I have got an AEDSM, the wonderful Akudoriks and a full spec Klimax Lp 12 with Radikal machined, Ekos SE/1, Urika2 and Kandid. 

Time to stop "Upgraditis", now. 

🎶😉

Edited by DB1328

29 minutes ago, Billz said:

Amp was soon changed for a Sugden A20

Wasn't that the A21, Bill? My father had one for a number of years, together with an R51 tuner, and I inherited them from him. In turn, I used them until finances allowed me to buy a Quad FM4/34/606 setup. The A21 was replaced with the more powerful A48, which looked much the same. Both were sweet sounding and responsive Class A amplifiers, but, as is often the case with Class A, they lacked the last ounce of oomph.

While we are delving into Hi-Fi history, It is perhaps worth pointing out that there were two Sugden companies making Hi-Fi, both based in West Yorkshire, but as far as I know completely unconnected. The amplifiers were made by J E Sugden, now known as Sugden Audio, and based successively at Cleckheaton and Heckmondwike. The firm of A R Sugden, based at Brighouse, made the Connoisseur range of turntables, of which the best known models were the BD1 and BD2. I had a BD1 with an SME II arm. The BD1 was belt driven (hence the BD?) and sported  a 7" platter, so the outermost two inches of the LP had no support at all. Not, it has to be said, a favourite among the many Hi-Fi components I have owned.

David

Edited by DavidHB

23 minutes ago, DavidHB said:

Wasn't that the A21, Bill? My father had one for a number of years, together with an R51 tuner, and I inherited them from him. In turn, I used them until finances allowed me to buy a Quad FM4/34/606 setup. The A21 was replaced with the more powerful A48, which looked much the same. Both were sweet sounding and responsive Class A amplifiers, but, as is often the case with Class A, they lacked the last ounce of oomph.

While we are delving into Hi-Fi history, It is perhaps worth pointing out that there were two Sugden companies making Hi-Fi, both based in West Yorkshire, but as far as I know completely unconnected. The amplifiers were made by J E Sugden, now known as Sugden Audio, and based successively at Cleckheaton and Heckmondwike. The firm of A R Sugden, based at Brighouse, made the Connoisseur range of turntables, of which the best known models were the BD1 and BD2. I had a BD1 with an SME II arm. The BD1 was belt driven (hence the BD?) and sported  a 7" platter, so the outermost two inches of the LP had no support at all. Not, it has to be said, a favourite among the many Hi-Fi components I have owned.

David

You are correct David, it was the A21. It had a black suede effect finish. It ended up in my workshop together with an old Sony upright tuner driving a single speaker nailed to the ceiling. It ran for years and years.

edit: I started to doubt my memory and have searched the JE Sugden archives. It was in fact an A28 that I had. 20 watts of A-class amplification, beautiful sound but as you say, not a lot of oomph at loud volumes.

Edited by Billz

59 minutes ago, Billz said:

You are correct David, it was the A21. It had a black suede effect finish. It ended up in my workshop together with an old Sony upright tuner driving a single speaker nailed to the ceiling. It ran for years and years.

edit: I started to doubt my memory and have searched the JE Sugden archives. It was in fact an A28 that I had. 20 watts of A-class amplification, beautiful sound but as you say, not a lot of oomph at loud volumes.

Interesting. I don't think that I have ever come across the A28 before; I was under the mistaken impression that the A21 (which was only 12W per channel) succeeded by the A48 were the only integrated amps that J E Sugden made. They didn't have a suede effect finish, but a shiny back and matt silver front panel, with a row of push buttons lined uup on the transition between black and silver. The A21 pre-amp (and corresponding R51 tuner) had an all shiny black finish. Classic looks which would still not be out of place on today's Hi-Fi racks.

Jim Sugden, with his single-minded promotion of pure Class A amplification, always used to maintain that the first watt of power output was the one that counted. In a way, the Chakra technology used by Linn follows the same principle, though Chakra can deal much better with transient demands for high power output than the early, power-limited Class A designs.

David

Edited by DavidHB