1 hour ago, DB1328 said:

You can use every MC cart.... Cartridges that that are not listed above can be added with with GAIN, Input Resistance and Input Capacitance values. (The preset cartridge settings can be changed after cartridge selection

This I did not know, so thank you. Every day's a school day ...

Are the gain, input resistance and input capacitance values typically available as part of the published specification of cartridges? Though I remember some discussion of these on the old Linn forum (primarily in relation to Uphorik settings IIRC), this is not an area in which I have any knowledge. Again IIRC, MM cartridges tend to have the same values, so the issue is not the same for MM users like me.

David

On 16/04/2019 at 16:23, Smokestack said:

...but the noise was fantastic when you were 12 years  old :D.

Ah explains why you can’t hear properly 

😊

really loving the new Ulrika 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Nrwatson said:

Ah explains why you can’t hear properly 

😊

really loving the new Ulrika 

Probably :D

But I've stopped listening to  Hi Fi .

These days I just play records and  enjoy music .     

Just as there are many avid music lovers who've never become interested "Hi-Fi"....there are  lots of "audiophiles" who have no real interest in music.   [... present company excepted of course ;) ]  

Edited by Smokestack
  • Like 1

On ‎16‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 21:50, DavidHB said:

As I said when I was still on topic :oops:, my reason for not getting the Urika II is that I don't really want to commit to using MC cartridges.

David

David,

Like me, but perhaps for slightly different reasons, I know that  you're currently committed to the use of good MM cartridges with affordable "needle" costs .

That said, if you would otherwise be keen to go with a Urika , had you considered looking at low cost moving coils from folks such as Audio-Technica ?

Replacement costs for those are comparable with stylus costs for the better moving magnets .

[ Yes, there's a bit of the Devils Advocate in my question...because  for my tastes it takes a very good moving coil to better the musical performance of some moving magnets]

Edited by Smokestack

1 hour ago, Smokestack said:

[ Yes, there's a bit of the Devils Advocate in my question...because  for my tastes it takes a very good moving coil to better the musical performance of some moving magnets]

That is certainly true, especially for combo as good as the Adikt and the Lejonklou Slipsik 7 preamp...

7 hours ago, Tendaberry said:

That is certainly true, especially for combo as good as the Adikt and the Lejonklou Slipsik 7 preamp...

Which is something I really want to discover for myself. There's a kid of calculated risk here. In effect, I'm betting that, in my system, £1,100 for the Slipsik 7 to use with my Adikt will be a better buy (in the sense that it will give me the degree of enjoyment I am looking for for a long enough period to justify its cost) than £3K to maybe £4K+ for a Urika II and a suitable MC cartridge. So, having heard the Slipsik 6 in my system, I've ordered the Slipsik 7.

The trouble is that I don't know when I will see the Slipsik. All Fredrik's attention seems to be focused on the SINGularity at the moment. And while heroically engineered electronics encased in a sold copper shell are, to say the least, an interesting concept, I think that, so far, only two or three pairs of this dual mono phono stage have actually been completed, and £32K a pop for the pair is a bit outside my price range ...

David

Fredrik is just waiting on the next batch of parts to make more Slipsik 7s.  I've been told that he expects those parts by middle of next week and will then start cranking them out.  So you should be seeing yours pretty soon.

20 hours ago, ThomasOK said:

Fredrik is just waiting on the next batch of parts to make more Slipsik 7s.  I've been told that he expects those parts by middle of next week and will then start cranking them out.  So you should be seeing yours pretty soon.

Thanks, Thomas, that's good news. I have been most interested to read of your experiences with Fredrik and the SINGularity at the Axpona Show, and was sorry to hear that your health has not been too good lately, but glad to learn that you are on the mend.

David