forgot-my-id

PMC expensive - worth it >?>

2 hours ago, forgot-my-id said:

a few on evilbuy. Will be more as time goes on.

Where? I cant see any R series? I can see the older cheaper R500's and that range but no R series. In fact, I dare say there hasnt been any yet as I have Hifishark setup to email me about any R series since I bought mine and none have come up.

Have you got any links?

19 hours ago, newlash09 said:

The pmc are all top and bottom..  with a lean sounding mid range that just doesn't do justice to vocals. So pmc is only for folks willing to live with 2 systems. One for vocals and one for hiphop/trance. 

My Twenty5 23s seem perfectly balanced in my room with my kit listening to a fair range of musical genres. I certainly don’t fall into that sweeping generalisation.

Edited by Sumdumgi
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sumdumgi said:

My 23s seem perfectly balanced in my room with my kit listening to a fair range of musical genres. I certainly don’t fall into that sweeping generalisation.

I agree my PMC PB1i's have the most explicit midrange I have ever heard, backed up with true deep sub bass to 24hz and a detailed extended natural realistic sounding top end.

What PMC's in general don't have is that upper bass hump that passes for false warmth and bass punch / power like many other brands of speaker .

PMC's especially the i series are a wide open window on the music ime .:)

As I said before you are welcome to come here and judge for yourself if you wish .

49 minutes ago, The Chronicals said:

Huge amounts, they are entirely different speakers, they share nothing really.

I was worried at first that the R5 would be like the boomtastic R500, but they where NOTHING alike. The R500 was nice, but it was never controlled, or natural, I had those as well on demo. The R5 was like listening to a real expensive speaker as opposed to a budget one.

I cant find any R series on eBay.

👍. Thanks 

Edited by Amormusic

15 minutes ago, Electro said:

I agree my PMC PB1i's have the most explicit midrange I have ever heard, backed up with true deep sub bass to 24hz and a detailed extended natural realistic sounding top end.

What PMC's in general don't have is that upper bass hump that passes for false warmth and bass punch / power like many other brands of speaker .

PMC's especially the i series are a wide open window on the music ime .:)

As I said before you are welcome to come here and judge for yourself if you wish .

May take you up on that one day electro. Would love to hear the Electro > PMC setup. 

Ps, thought you had OB1i’s?

I have some upgrade plans v.soon...

scouring the bay - considering OB1’s or 25 23’s. 

Then amp next - have an itch to hear a Abrahamsen V2.0up (hence the interest to hear the electro to PMC combo), but equally may go up the Arcam A range to prob 39, or perhaps a 49 if I can swing it for a good price, and sneak it in past the Mrs. Lol. 

• Like 2

Seems Im confusing the Rx00 with the R.   Fancy not knowing all the kefs. Next I wont know the pecking order of living voice. I think Ill sit by the fire and listen to some music.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, forgot-my-id said:

Seems Im confusing the Rx00 with the R.   Fancy not knowing all the kefs. Next I wont know the pecking order of living voice. I think Ill sit by the fire and listen to some music.

Thats ok, you've learned now. :)

7 hours ago, Amormusic said:

May take you up on that one day electro. Would love to hear the Electro > PMC setup. 

Ps, thought you had OB1i’s?

7 hours ago, Amormusic said:

I have some upgrade plans v.soon...

scouring the bay - considering OB1’s or 25 23’s. 

Then amp next - have an itch to hear a Abrahamsen V2.0up (hence the interest to hear the electro to PMC combo), but equally may go up the Arcam A range to prob 39, or perhaps a 49 if I can swing it for a good price, and sneak it in past the Mrs. Lol. 

You are welcome,  PM me if you want to visit and I am sure we can arrange something.

I used to have OB1's a few years ago driven by my old Electrocompaniet EC 4.7 and AW120 DMB pre- power amp combo.

I now have the PB1i 's that are quite a bit bigger and use the same midrange and tweeter as the OB1 but instead have four bass drivers that are the same diameter as the pair in the OB1's but the magnet assemblies are double the size with a much longer throw and much more power handling capability, they are unique to the PB1i , the crossover is also capable of much higher power handling.

I have also upgraded my amps to the EC 4.8 pre amp and a pair of AW 180 monoblocks.

The OB1's were a great pair of speakers that could handle all types of music beautifully and would be superb with the Abrahamsen amp and also the Arcam's , the 49 in particular.

I suspect that the OB1i' s will give you much larger scale and be far more detailed and powerful sound than the 25 23's, but it depends on the size and shape of you room and your taste which will sound more balanced and lifelike to you.

The OB1's will still work well in a small to medium sized room close to the wall and are easy to position, but the more effort and space you give them the better they get .

• Like 1

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, The Chronicals said:

Thats ok, you've learned now. :)

Yes, the Rx is the brand new range, as the OP now realises, I think!  The Rx00 is the previous range, hence the huge discounts.  It seems like the new Rx range sounds much more like the Reference range, which also use a single digit in their name e.g. Reference 1 for the stand mounted, and Reference 3 and 5 for the floorstanders!

BTW, I’m glad you’re delighted with your R5s!

I just read some reviews of the new Kef  R11's and they have been universally praised. And it does help that they look so sophisticated and Fab. Iam already drooling, Certainly something I will be looking forward to listen to :)

I have a pair of PMC OB1 as a back up pair of speakers.had them for several years as my 2 channel speakers as my listening space is a big space to fill. And you do need lots of depth and height to the room to make the base open up.

I had them serviced a couple of years ago at PMC Bedford as one of the base drivers was losing a bit of definition. PMC did not have any of the original drivers and the new ones' chassis is slightly bigger so they recut the hole...Expensive service but worth it. To do the pair with matched drivers was in excess of £500+

I love em ..

Kindest regards Julian 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, newlash09 said:

I just read some reviews of the new Kef  R11's and they have been universally praised. And it does help that they look so sophisticated and Fab. Iam already drooling, Certainly something I will be looking forward to listen to :)

Try to listen to KEF Ref. 3 aswell:love:

• Like 1

On 15/04/2019 at 23:13, Electro said:

You are welcome,  PM me if you want to visit and I am sure we can arrange something.

I used to have OB1's a few years ago driven by my old Electrocompaniet EC 4.7 and AW120 DMB pre- power amp combo.

I now have the PB1i 's that are quite a bit bigger and use the same midrange and tweeter as the OB1 but instead have four bass drivers that are the same diameter as the pair in the OB1's but the magnet assemblies are double the size with a much longer throw and much more power handling capability, they are unique to the PB1i , the crossover is also capable of much higher power handling.

I have also upgraded my amps to the EC 4.8 pre amp and a pair of AW 180 monoblocks.

The OB1's were a great pair of speakers that could handle all types of music beautifully and would be superb with the Abrahamsen amp and also the Arcam's , the 49 in particular.

I suspect that the OB1i' s will give you much larger scale and be far more detailed and powerful sound than the 25 23's, but it depends on the size and shape of you room and your taste which will sound more balanced and lifelike to you.

The OB1's will still work well in a small to medium sized room close to the wall and are easy to position, but the more effort and space you give them the better they get .

Thanks dude. Good explanation. I will take you up on the listen at some stage - I travel lots with work. Your m25 way ish if I recall?

And pmc have great after sales service too. When I needed new mid range domes for my 20.26. They couldn't find any from their old stock. So I was sent a new stock mid range dome.

And to get the new midrange dome to blend with the old range tweeter, they fabricated 2 completely new crossover boards unique to just my pair of speakers. And the crossover boards, hand made in England were sent free of cost to me.

One look at the huge boards with all their windings and capacitors, And i knew they would have costed serious money to make.

And their own techie visited my place and installed them for me. I just had to pay for his travel expenses, and the service was free. I was dumbstruck at how well they looked after a customer even in a remote country.

• Like 2