plasticpenguin

System for the ma-in-law

I use two Onkyo minis of different vintages in secondary systems, both with monitor Audio Radius 90 speakers, not the last word in bass obviously but a lovely clear midrange and quite discreet. One has a Yamaha Musiccast WXAD10 feeding it with good results.

I am not trying to be a pain in the rear-end.  Given I am an ever-moving ex-pat beholden to many visitors, I consistently recommend Naim's MUSO.  Frankly, I should  be a dealer.  All four of the folks I recommended them to, three while visiting, love them. Personally I am not in love with Naim component gear, but outside of the new KEF LSX, I've not heard anything close in an one for all, all for one system. And before get bashed, yes, I could find a nice little amp and some book shelf speakers better, but that would not be an all in one system.

Super Wammer
46 minutes ago, ChemMan said:

I am not trying to be a pain in the rear-end.  Given I am an ever-moving ex-pat beholden to many visitors, I consistently recommend Naim's MUSO.  Frankly, I should  be a dealer.  All four of the folks I recommended them to, three while visiting, love them. Personally I am not in love with Naim component gear, but outside of the new KEF LSX, I've not heard anything close in an one for all, all for one system. And before get bashed, yes, I could find a nice little amp and some book shelf speakers better, but that would not be an all in one system.

The Naim is a terrific option if you’re fairly well off and literally want one box (and don’t wish to play CDs).  For a mother-in-law, I’d not be sure that a network connected device would be quite so easy to operate, and might require the ongoing cost of, say, a Tidal subscription (though not just for radio).  However, pp’s relative may be internet savvy!

I think there was a thread on the old WHF forum about what separates would beat a Muso.  I think you’d get a pretty good result with a mini system and a pair of carefully chosen small speakers for around half the price of a Muso.  But it wouldn’t look as cool!

Edited by Nopiano

2 hours ago, Nopiano said:

The Naim is a terrific option if you’re fairly well off and literally want one box (and don’t wish to play CDs).  For a mother-in-law, I’d not be sure that a network connected device would be quite so easy to operate, and might require the ongoing cost of, say, a Tidal subscription (though not just for radio).  However, pp’s relative may be internet savvy!

I think there was a thread on the old WHF forum about what separates would beat a Muso.  I think you’d get a pretty good result with a mini system and a pair of carefully chosen small speakers for around half the price of a Muso.  But it wouldn’t look as cool!

Howdie Nopiano.

Think Naim is beyond what she wants to pay.

Let's start at the bottom with the Denon and just play it by ear. The final decision is ultimately hers.

7 hours ago, Nopiano said:

8 hours ago, ChemMan said:

And before I get bashed, yes, I could find a nice little amp and some book shelf speakers better, but that would not be an all in one system.

Yes, I f you want CD's the MUSO is out as is the LSX.  I was thinking along the lines of what we did for the mom-in-law.  A nice wireless speaker, our old I-pad, and a five euro Spotify subscription that comes out of our bank account.

• Like 1

As I mentioned before she's 78 and a bit mutton in one ear, so ultimate sound quality isn't priority on this occasion. I'll drag her - biting and screaming - to the shops over the Easter weekend.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, plasticpenguin said:

As I mentioned before she's 78 and a bit mutton in one ear, so ultimate sound quality isn't priority on this occasion. I'll drag her - biting and screaming - to the shops over the Easter weekend.

Sorry, I didn't catch that about the hearing.  My brother has that old Bose wave radio with the CD player, but even that is still $600 I think. 

17 minutes ago, ChemMan said:

Sorry, I didn't catch that about the hearing.  My brother has that old Bose wave radio with the CD player, but even that is still $600 I think. 

No probs.

Yeah, all the Bose stuff seem to be over-priced. The only Bose equipment I've heard is the system fitted in my Alfa.

Super Wammer
7 hours ago, ChemMan said:

Yes, I f you want CD's the MUSO is out as is the LSX.  I was thinking along the lines of what we did for the mom-in-law.  A nice wireless speaker, our old I-pad, and a five euro Spotify subscription that comes out of our bank account.

A very generous man, you are!

7 hours ago, Nopiano said:

A very generous man, you are!

Get serious.  We needed a new I-pad anyway.  Someone had to get the old one.  They are getting our old car as well.  :)

• Haha 1

Super Wammer
Just now, ChemMan said:

Get serious.  We needed a new I-pad anyway.  Someone had to get the old one.  They are getting our old car as well.  :)

Yes, I gave my wife’s old car to her mother too.  Perhaps I wasn’t so mean back in the day!  Anyway, a nice choice that you made for her. 

Between you and me, the ma-in-law is a bit of a snob. I fear dragging her into the lower echelons of somewhere like RS, she'll stick her nose in the air - she'll probably want to scarper off to John Lewis. Trust me, if Laura Ashley sold hi-fi she'd be off like a rat up a drain pipe.

One can only try. :dunno:

• Haha 1