Bodgit

PS Audio anyone?

2 minutes ago, rabski said:

You two make me laugh. You're both apologising for being among the most sensible, restrained and thoughtful people posting here :notworthy:

My thoughts exactly.

John Darko has a review of sorts on the DAC / CD Memory player on youtube against Hegal cd  , have a look.

I also hace active atc's with a chord qbd76HD dac, I was considering a ps audio  transport to go with it, may be a different option ( didnt like the comment regarding poor service though).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, greygoose said:

John Darko has a review of sorts on the DAC / CD Memory player on youtube against Hegal cd  , have a look.

I also hace active atc's with a chord qbd76HD dac, I was considering a ps audio  transport to go with it, may be a different option ( didnt like the comment regarding poor service though).

The poor service comment could be hit and miss. My poor service was direct with the distributor. I see you're in Ireland, which the PS Audio website says has no distributor, so maybe you would deal with PS Audio directly - I don't know.

When I had the DirectStream DAC on demo, it was from a retailer. I told them about my experience with the distributor and they said they would write up a warranty that included replacing the unit with a new one if I bought the unit and subsequently found it developed a fault. So it could all depend on where you potentially buy a unit. I suggest talking to a retailer of PSA and seeing if they can ensure timely repair (days, not weeks/months) or otherwise loan you a replacement unit, or swap the unit for a new one in a fault scenario. My personal reasons for steering clear of buying PSA even from a retailer is that it still supports the distributor and my experience was the worst in 25 years in this hobby.

No retailers over here so I would be at the mercy of a distributor, I could only manage a second hand unit due to price and as we all know CD Players / transports do require maintenance and repair.

From what I can see the best sound from the direct stream dac is through the i2s connection from the cd memory player, the inbuilt streamer while good is not as good, at this price point ( 10k)  this would make me very cautious.

I would love to be able to afford a chord dave / blu 2 transport, perhaps this would be a better alternative sound wise.

The innuos Zenith appear to be a safer bet as a dual cd / memory player and streamer!!

1 hour ago, greygoose said:

No retailers over here so I would be at the mercy of a distributor, I could only manage a second hand unit due to price and as we all know CD Players / transports do require maintenance and repair.

From what I can see the best sound from the direct stream dac is through the i2s connection from the cd memory player, the inbuilt streamer while good is not as good, at this price point ( 10k)  this would make me very cautious.

I would love to be able to afford a chord dave / blu 2 transport, perhaps this would be a better alternative sound wise.

The innuos Zenith appear to be a safer bet as a dual cd / memory player and streamer!!

Maybe the Chord approach is better for the money. Certainly the service will be, although I found in 2017 that the retailers were now responsible for RMAs/servicing and going direct to Chord is not an option anymore. I found it curious as the retailers then redirect any returns to Chord anyway.

I2S is not necessary. I could point you as some objective data for that. Generally mag reviews and people who've invested in it say it makes a difference, which primes others to believe it will, then hear it due to expectation. The reason I2S was not initially used outside a circuit board is that the clock signal is not integrated with the data signal, or Left-Right signal. This means it's harder to keep the 3 separate digital streams time (phase) aligned compared to an integrated signal like SPDIF or AES-EBU. 

The PSA transports are good, but I think even older Meridian Gxx units used a large ram buffer, they just didn't develop the party trick of allowing the music to keep playing when the disc was removed, but they still buffered the data in much the same way. You could easily get a Meridian G08 or similar, and use that as a transport. I am confident that in a blind test you wouldn't be able to tell them apart as a source. Personally, I always found that the Meridian players made superb transports and the one I once used at a transport is the only hifi unit I regret parting with.

I own a PS Audio PWT transport - an excellent device which manages (to my ears at least) superb results from CD drives that I can pick up and fit myself for about £15 a pop - customer service/technical support is a very different story - I had a issue with the display/firmware, and found communication from PS themselves worse than useless - I don't think they answered a single direct question and they then insisted I needed to replace a perfectly healthy power supply ($200) which made zero difference - not exactly confidence inspiring.... 

I'm on my third PS audio Dac. 

I bought a Cullen circuits modified Digital link, unheard, from the first owner and was blown away with how good it was. I put it up against some others in the same 2nd hand price point - to my ears it was easily better. I left a lowish bid on a std one on ebay- just to hear the difference - won it, and was still pleased with the sound - although not as good as the Cullen.

I directly auditioned the Cullen against a directstream Dac, and it was night/day better (should be, it was 2k dearer - 2nd hand prices). Very happily lived with that for a year, then downloaded the free updated firmware (to version Snowmass, i missed out on the previous version), and again another clear jump in performance. PS audio release new firmware roughly once a year - it's like getting a new dac every twelve months !

Never had anything to do with the importers as nothing has ever gone wrong. I do subscribe to Paul's blog - i don't always agree with him, but it gives a lot of insight into the company, their philosophy, their goals etc, and i think they are one of the good guys - it's also quite interesting reading.

If you would like to listen to it, you are most welcome.... but it's not for sale.

kind regards,

Julian

• Like 1