Paulq

Lumin vs Moon (and maybe Auralic)

Posted (edited)

Also posted elsewhere.

I have recently discovered Roon and it’s given my music listening a completely new dimension. It coincides with my almost annual consideration of upgrading my kit (Linn Malik DSM and Acoustic Energy AE1 Actives). I had always felt that my next upgrade would be to an Akurate DSM with Katalyst but am somewhat put off by the cost and also the limitations of that particular unit, good as it is.

In looking at alternatives, and with Roon in mind, I have been looking at the Lumin A1 and Moon 280 D and can’t really decide between them. The attraction of them both is their DSD and MQA support and the fact that they are more cost-effective than the Akurate. 

Before I demo just wondered whether anyone had heard both/either and had a view as to relative merits?

Cheers.

Edited by Paulq

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

Are you looking only for a player, or also for full preamp facilities, including a phono stage for your turntable?  

I understand your position in the Akurate pricing.  In the last few days I’ve bought an ex-dem ADSM/2 for under £3,000 so there are some more affordable options if you’re not in a hurry.  Katalyst is a £1,800 upgrade, but the new price is £7,500 (and they’ve discontinued the DS models).  

Too early to comment with any confidence on the sound, but it operates very nicely. 

Moon and Lumin are both highly regarded brands but I’m not really familiar with their current ranges. 

F11D328E-669E-4F71-B1F7-075311AFA940.thumb.jpeg.99de276262f38927597ff4853e29e62d.jpeg

PS. The Katalyst does DSD I believe, but it’s not relevant to my listening. As you doubtless know, Linn are not keen on MQA, and I must admit to me it’s a solution looking for a problem (but nice for Bob Stuart’s pension!).

Edited by Nopiano
PS. added
  • Like 2

Hi PaulQ 

Sorry I haven't heard either. But the best part about roon  is the plethora of end points it offers. All offering varied flexibility. 

Iam personally using a metrum Ambre as end point, that I am really happy with. But it doesn't do DSD. So I down sample everything to 24/192. My dac doesn't do MQA, so never tried it. But the metrum ambre is supposed to be compatible with MQA. But still check again before you buy one . And if you also want a change from the linn to a different dac, then metrum offer their dac's  with an I2S input compatible with the metrum Ambre. There are rave reviews about the sound quality of this combination. I recently tried metrum's entry level dac, the amethyst and was very impressed with its detail retrieval, clarity, and analogue sound. So the metrum dac's higher up the ladder should certainly be something special. 

Sorry to rant off in a totally unconnected direction, but just thought I'd hint something you might have possibly over looked. All the best.

Are you looking only for a player, or also for full preamp facilities, including a phono stage for your turntable?  
I understand your position in the Akurate pricing.  In the last few days I’ve bought an ex-dem ADSM/2 for under £3,000 so there are some more affordable options if you’re not in a hurry.  Katalyst is a £1,800 upgrade, but the new price is £7,500 (and they’ve discontinued the DS models).  
Too early to comment with any confidence on the sound, but it operates very nicely. 
Moon and Lumin are both highly regarded brands but I’m not really familiar with their current ranges. 
F11D328E-669E-4F71-B1F7-075311AFA940.thumb.jpeg.99de276262f38927597ff4853e29e62d.jpeg
PS. The Katalyst does DSD I believe, but it’s not relevant to my listening. As you doubtless know, Linn are not keen on MQA, and I must admit to me it’s a solution looking for a problem (but nice for Bob Stuart’s pension!).
Kept that on quiet nopiano (unless I've missed it on another thread). Congratulations - will be interested I hearing your thoughts on the upgrade from the sneaky (without wanting to hijack this thread).

I'd agree with the OP the pricing of the linn players seems high for what they offer (hands up, I've never heard one .... So just speculating).

Sent from my BND-L21 using Tapatalk

Linn pricing seems to consist of 'think of a figure and double it', but on the other hand not many companies will update a 10 year player to current spec, abait at a not inconsiderable cost. Kalayst upgrade does seem worth it, after just having mine done.

I like Linn stuff but have never been comfortable in spending another 2k on something I already paid 6k for - but that’s just me,.  I am ambivalent about DSD/MQA so it’s more a question of what’s the best value for money at a certain price point.

There is no single best out there. It is always a comprise. If you were buying from scratch it would be the Lumin, which I have heard against the Linn and I thought it was a clear step ahead. The katalsyt turned that around for less than replacing the while unit, so for me it was the right answer. If you reallt want MQA then possibly the Auralic is the right answer.

4 minutes ago, moo-fi said:

There is no single best out there. It is always a comprise. If you were buying from scratch it would be the Lumin, which I have heard against the Linn and I thought it was a clear step ahead. The katalsyt turned that around for less than replacing the while unit, so for me it was the right answer. If you reallt want MQA then possibly the Auralic is the right answer.

Thanks I agree. I think Lumin and Moon also support MQA.

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Nopiano said:

Hi Nopiano - long time. Hope you are doing ok?

Essentially yes I am after the full preamp/phono capability so am having a nosey around to see what is out there.  I really like the look of the Lumin kit and everything I have read suggests that it’s very analogue sounding so that’s quite appealing.

Glad you like the Akurate - congrats on your new kit :)

Edited by Paulq