The site will be out of service again for further upgrades regarding security fixes. Work will be carried out between 4.30am and 5.30am tomorrow morning. We apologise for the inconvenience.

robbie010

Impressions of KEF LS50?

3 minutes ago, newlash09 said:

Pleaae stop blushing and break the suspense  Nopiano :D

NP is the taller one, receiving the handshake and bottle of bubbly....having (I think) won the system in the picture.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CnoEvil said:

NP is the taller one, receiving the handshake and bottle of bubbly....having (I think) won the system in the picture.

Haha...Thanks for that Cnoevil :)

Always nice to see the face behind the voice and the wisdom after 7 years :)

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, newlash09 said:

Haha...Thanks for that Cnoevil :)

Always nice to see the face behind the voice and the wisdom after 7 years :)

Sorry, I’ve been watching the telly.  Cno is correct - JA is on the left.  I think he’s turned 70 now, whereas I’m a bit younger, and he’s average height, whereas I was about 6’5” back then!

Edited by Nopiano
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

Sorry, I’ve been watching the telly.  Cno is correct - JA is on the left.  I think he’s turned 70 now, whereas I’m a bit younger, and he’s average height, whereas I was about 6’5” back then!

Wow..6'5"...I could hold your speakers on my shoulder to get the tweeters to your ear height :D

And no need for sorries  Nopaino...I thought you had gone into hiding blushing :)

But nice to get to see how you look. We are all existing as virtual avatars. And seeing a pic is a pleasant break from the norm 

Super Wammer

Anyway, back to the OP...   I decided to put my money where my mouth was and get a pair - of LS50s I mean! - so, I should shortly be collecting some nearly new Black Edition models. 

They might well be great one day in a study system, with the Linn Sneaky powering them, but they’ll have to earn their keep in the main system first.  Firstly, a trip to the garage to rescue my Cliff Stone Foundation stands and give them a clean up. I recall they are 24” tall, as KEF recommends.  A bit of Vaseline on the threaded spikes and we should be good to go.  

D114C852-77BC-421C-BA47-6CF8DB3B6F29.thumb.jpeg.6b13a3aecaec1b7f7f02bdec6f3b6269.jpeg

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

Anyway, back to the OP...   I decided to put my money where my mouth was and get a pair - of LS50s I mean! - so, I should shortly be collecting some nearly new Black Edition models. 

They might well be great one day in a study system, with the Linn Sneaky powering them, but they’ll have to earn their keep in the main system first.  Firstly, a trip to the garage to rescue my Cliff Stone Foundation stands and give them a clean up. I recall they are 24” tall, as KEF recommends.  A bit of Vaseline on the threaded spikes and we should be good to go.  

D114C852-77BC-421C-BA47-6CF8DB3B6F29.thumb.jpeg.6b13a3aecaec1b7f7f02bdec6f3b6269.jpeg

I have heard the LS50s driven by the Sneaky - whereas the DSM version does a bit better - it did better than I thought it would ie. at sensible volumes in a smaller room. I think they will thrive on ADS/Primare in the short term.

I look forward to your thoughts.

Is the ADSM settling in OK and delivering the goods...or is there more tweaking to do?

Super Wammer
4 hours ago, CnoEvil said:

I have heard the LS50s driven by the Sneaky - whereas the DSM version does a bit better - it did better than I thought it would ie. at sensible volumes in a smaller room. I think they will thrive on ADS/Primare in the short term.

I look forward to your thoughts.

Is the ADSM settling in OK and delivering the goods...or is there more tweaking to do?

I think I remember you trying that combination with a friend and doing a write up on the old WHF forum?

Have been away for a few days, but the ADSM needed the SO sorting out and normal service has resumed.  Yet to try the Linn interconnects...so things can only get better!

22 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

I think I remember you trying that combination with a friend and doing a write up on the old WHF forum?

Have been away for a few days, but the ADSM needed the SO sorting out and normal service has resumed.  Yet to try the Linn interconnects...so things can only get better!

@Nopiano Nick are also from Wales? If you happen to go near here in Swansea you’re more than welcome to visit and have a listen to my humble system.:)

• Like 1

Super Wammer
8 minutes ago, Iceman 16 said:

@Nopiano Nick are also from Wales? If you happen to go near here in Swansea you’re more than welcome to visit and have a listen to my humble system.:)

That’s very kind, thank you.  Likewise if you ever stray to the Brecon Beacons National Park, let me know!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Nopiano said:

One friend tried and bought the DSM version....with some LS50s

One friend compared the Sneaky with the Majik DSM. In case it's of use, here is the write up.:

Linn, Kef, Rega.........and a Friend (15-3-2013)

Well, I spent the day doing what I love to do (sad git that I am) ie. pottering around one of my local dealers, listening to good music on a variety of different stuff, while drinking coffee and scoffing buns........and more importantly, spending somone else's money.  :twisted: 

My brief (on his behalf) was to put together a quality streaming system, that could act as media hub with a good variety of digital socketry including HDMI, and a pre-out for a sub......and all operated by iThingys / PDAs etc.

After several hours of intensive and exhausting research :roll: , I came up with a Linn DSM (Sneaky or Majik).

The speakers would be from Kef (LS50 / R300 / R500), Rega (RS5) and Linn (Majik 109).

We arrived shortly after 10am, where we immediately set about getting our priorities right.......and sorted cappuccino and cake. :cheer:  The following "sugar high" and "caffeine fix", stimulated the brain cells enough to put together a playlist from the extensive catalogue on the dealer's NAS.

The Sneaky DSM has been held back a week or two, so we used the DS version instead; and for comparison as to what extra money would get you, the MDSM was also used.

We started with the Sneaky, and alternated it with the MDSM through each speaker....so we could hear what the better streamer/amp would bring to the equation........

Rather than giving a blow-by-blow account and bore your respective socks off - here is a synopsis of what I thought, which pretty much matches that of my compadre:

Sneaky DS vs Majik DSM

What a good piece of kit the Sneaky is, and when using it's own amp, it sounds way better than it has any right to (imo). With all the speakers tested, it always sounded accurate, detailed and fun; as well as loud enough if used with reasonably sensitive speakers and at sensible volumes.

It got a touch ragged at high volumes, with a slight loss of bass control and a little hardening of the sound. It would make a great second system, or even a temporary solution while making up one's mind on an amp. The more bass a speaker was capable of, the more one realized the control wasn't quite there. The front ported Rega RS5 highlighted this on bass heavy music, but being the easiest to drive it could achieve fairly high volumes. So overall, nothing to complain about for the money.

With the insertion of the MDSM, everything improved. There was a greater ease and naturalness. Gone was the slight flabbiness of the bass and hardening up at volume....the extra control was noticeable, along with poise and finesse. In fact, as a result of what I heard, I'm going to have to (somewhat) eat my words on Linn amplification. Matched with the right speakers, the slightly cold, lean and analytical presentation of the amps can be greatly mitigated.

Speakers (In reverse order)

1. Majik 109 - These were pleasant enough, but not exceptional in any area. The didn't do anything to annoy, but also didn't do anything to excite either...a bit Meh.

2. R300 - I have a strong feeling that these would have moved up a place if they had been properly run in. They were almost out of the box, but had around 24 hours of continuous use before we heard them. I could certainly hear the enormous potential in them, and the tremendous scale they are able to deliver (for their size). I would say they would be better all-rounders than the Regas. Being new, I felt they were not yet at full potential.

3. Rega RS5 - I liked these, but imo they worked better for certain types of music, like acoustic, vocal and chamber music. They can produce plenty of scale, have enough life to be fun, and seldom sound harsh or bright. Although they are easy to drive, it takes an amp with with a bit of current behind it, to control the bass.

4. LS50 - It will come as no surprise to anyone who has heard them, that we both loved them......these were the clear winner up to this point. They were superbly balanced, and just  played music with consummate ease and insight......they just sounded "right"......a Reference speaker at affordable money, which had just the right  touch of forgiveness.

5. R500 - These were the last to be connected up, as they had to be picked up from someone local, who had them out on dem.....and wanted to swap them for the R700s.

From the first note, we both knew that these were the ones we preferred......there was just no substitute for the scale they brought to the music. They sounded fine on the end of the Sneaky, but it took the MDSM to make them sound great...........what an exceptional match they (and all the R series) are with the Linn, as they complement each other beautifully.

IMO. The R Series are so good, that it won't be long till they will have to improve the Reference series.

Conclusion

The R500 was the preferred choice, with the LS50 pushing hard on its heels; but in the end it was the extra scale that won us both over (I have always liked floorstanders). It's just as well the R700s were removed, or his wallet might have suffered spontaneous combustion! >)

As for amplification, we will wait to see how close the upgraded Sneaky DSM can get to the MDSM (it will be about £1k cheaper)........so we will be back in a few weeks to make the final decision.

Edited by CnoEvil
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nopiano said:

That’s very kind, thank you.  Likewise if you ever stray to the Brecon Beacons National Park, let me know!

Another South Walian here - from Cardiff:cool:

Super Wammer
9 hours ago, Nopiano said:

Looking forward to hearing what you think, these speakers obviously split opinions somewhat!! 😂

Super Wammer
43 minutes ago, robbie010 said:

Looking forward to hearing what you think, these speakers obviously split opinions somewhat!! 😂

I’ll let you know in a few days!  

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, robbie010 said:

Sorry, double post.

Edited by Nopiano

1 hour ago, robbie010 said:

these speakers obviously split opinions somewhat!! 😂

Not sure they do in any major way. I was impressed with the LS50s, very little to fault. In my case I just didn't think they did quite do enough to topple the PMCs. That was, I believe, just a synergy foible.