forgot-my-id

Wanted - bloody good speakers for little dosh

Top quality, or close to, large, full bass, the lot. Budget low. Can spend dont want to. Any suggestions ? 

S/H Kef 104/2. Had mine for 25 years +. Available for ridiculously low prices now.

You really need to give a budget .. 

Super Wammer

I am sure this not what you meant but have to say Goodmans Maxim 2 - Lurch recomended them and they sound superb .

Super Wammer

Any of the Dali speakers new or s/hand

https://www.dali-speakers.com/uk/

Older Kef, but be wary of rubber rot of bass drivers  and ferrofluid in tweeters turning to goo.

Alan

Super Wammer
4 hours ago, bencat said:

I am sure this not what you meant but have to say Goodmans Maxim 2 - Lurch recomended them and they sound superb .

That reminds me, I must get the pair I have here put in the classifieds, along with the Ditton 15s, 400X, and Sony CDP-791 I have leftover from the Kegworth bring & buy sale. 

JPW AP3. Message me if interested.

Posted (edited)

I have a pair of mint kef reference model 2 with original boxes. The bass drivers were refoamed about three years ago. If I told you they were 2 weeks old you would believe me they are in that good condition. They are in Santos rosewood finish. Which has a zebreno type of grain which makes it a bit more modern looking than the other finishes. I may sell?

Edited by Dvddvd

If youve got a good room for them to put them in a little space an absolute bargain speaker that performs fantastically with some good drive is an Acoustic Energy AE109. Ive seen these go for as little as £50. They look nice dont need stands and are a great all round speaker. Just dont work too well if the space is tight thats all.

Posted (edited)

I have a pair of Elac Debut B5 for sale if interested, mini review here,

They’re too bassy for my room so going cheap.

Edited by JezR
Wrong model stated last night, not the B6

I heard there big brothers, the 52s years ago and mightily impressed.

Come on give us a clue - without knowing exactly how much you want to spend any recommendations are just a shot in the dark.  

If you have the money there is the argument you get what you pay for .. there are some bargains to be had but a bargain still depends on how much you are prepared to spend.

If you are lucky you might pick up a pair of Time Windows 3 or a different pair of loudspeakers that cost nearly a grand new for £100 (like I did) and whilst they were a bargain they would never come close to replacing my Art Impressions ..   Hence, it still comes back to how much are you prepared to spend.

There are also other considerations such as size of room and genre of music that you listen to most of all.  Sure a great loudspeaker performs equally well on all types of music but even second hand they come at a price.  However, if you never listen to Classical or only listen to Rock then there are speakers out there that excel on certain music types and as such may be had for a bargain.

Without that kind of information and also your amp details ..  (which Beard amp do you have? . the Radford if valve is limited in power so that too has an impact on any recommendation also this is where room size is even more crucial as inefficient in a small room may be fine but in a  large room would be short on oomph) 

Without this data for me I am afraid,  this thread sucks ..

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, uzzy said:

If you have the money there is the argument you get what you pay for .. there are some bargains to be had but a bargain still depends on how much you are prepared to spend.

Agreed. Put your hand in your pocket man, spend a bit more and you will almost definitely get something better :)

temporarily taken leave of my password, cant be expected to remember everything.

This is a simple pot luck thread, see what people suggest. If I name a price some of you will suggest things about that figure, I dont have a want-to-spend number,  I have a want very good for my ears. 

Some great suggestions so far. Lets go up in size, big standmounts or proper floorstanders, must do proper bass, also must do mid- and top- properly as well. I cant stand sibilant shrieky tweeters. Theres bound to be lots out there I've never heard, open to ideas