newlash09

To preamp or not

Townshend gear is expensive but does seem to be of very good quality and well engineered ( I have their supertweeters). I would like to here the preamps but won't change mine as am very happy with it. I did look at them at the time but were a bit over budget. Very nice products :)

On 12/04/2019 at 15:29, hifinutt said:

had a chap here a few weeks ago to try some of my pre amps with his mono blocks , schiit freya was superb and its passive . costs half the price of allegri . at the time my freya was not for sale and he got an allegri and is happy with it  

Home built DIY passive here... Silver S&B traffos and a direct input which bypasses the selector switch, also the S&B plus 6db permanently wired in, not switched.

Exceeds any active pre I've had in the system.

I think the active/passive debate is a bit like LED screen versus a projector...once your'e used to a projector, then screens, even good ones, look unnatural and hyped. Space, a clean as a whistle top end and a lack of congestion when things get complicated. And outstanding delineation and propulsion in the bass. It would take something both special and untypical for me to return to active.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Finally finished my silver slagle, one input only and a thirty step tkd switch, so a little on the hair shirt side of life. Nothing I heard comes close for the money, although it does mean that I have to finish my valve amp rebuild as it is definitely holding the pre back.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, moo-fi said:

Finally finished my silver slagle, one input only and a thirty step tkd switch, so a little on the hair shirt side of life. Nothing I heard comes close for the money, although it does mean that I have to finish my valve amp rebuild as it is definitely holding the pre back.

Gotta hear that Fred!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

For what its worth for a long time I was 'pre-amp-less' connecting the Schiit Yggy directly to an ATI 6002 power amp with passive Rothwell attenuators (-20db :) - I controlled the volume in the digital domain and it sounds great. The downside of digital volume control (done at source) is loss of dynamic range.

Then Schiit came out with the Freya so I had to try it, the Passive sounded great then I realised that their active sounded a bit better and then I discovered tubes that although a little noisy (now have PAP Horn1 speakers, with horns) just sound amazing. For years I was against pre-amps, definitely against active and most tube gear I had a chance to hear was uninspiring - I guess there's always value in trying new things... 

Edited by YellowRoll
  • Upvote 1

The freya certainly is marvellous vfm and well  equipped.  The new range of freya will be worth looking at too 

Posted (edited)

Sorry, just realised I was repeating myself so deleted post!

Edited by Rayymondo