The site will be out of service again for further upgrades regarding security fixes. Work will be carried out between 4.30am and 5.30am tomorrow morning. We apologise for the inconvenience.

What's yer bits'n'bobs ?

1 hour ago, akamatsu said:

Nice system! I really like the Sound Org stand as I'm looking for a two or three tiered one. I used to have a three tiered model ages ago. Looks like your LP12 plinth is the old one without corner bracing. I was thinking you could use a Trampolin. However, it takes some work to make the modifications necessary to make the new Trampolin fit on the old plinth. I had a modified Trampolin 1, but it recently sold, cheap.

Your Linto will be there on February 12.

P.S. I also noticed the Onzow. What a great little accessory that is.

Thanks akamatsu! Yes, the plinth is an early one in fantastic shape. I was just looking at a Trampolin 1 on Ebay and also the newer solid base plate and was thinking about getting one of them. Thanks for telling me the Trampolin could be a chore to get it to fit. I was gonna try it maybe. My Linn dealer is about 135 miles from me , Accent On Music. David Wilson tuned this table and installed the Lingo 3. I'm planning on making trip down there in mid-spring for Cirkus/Kore upgrade. 

Looking forward to installing the Linto!

Edited by HDMan72
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, boardsofcanada said:

Looks to me like a Frank Fischer painting on the wall :)

Afraid not, just some rip off job from an art market in Brussels, IIRC

That pic is flipping donkeys years old - what were you doing back in the pics from 2005 !!?? :-) 

46968812922_f3485b2c34_c.jpg

I built this clone of a Concordant preamp about 30 years ago.  It'a not the Excelsior, but a slightly earlier version, but then Doug Dunlop hardly built two the same!   It has sat in the loft for about 20 years with no PSU, but as I was building a PSU for my 01A DHT pre, I thought I might as well make one for this.    It's not valve regulated, but at least I used better heater regulators than the original, and made them parallel not series.  It cost nothing but some time (and a big lump on my head where I banged it on a loft beam!), as I already had everything.  But I will have to buy some better knobs; I only had chicken heads.

The preamp case is brass, but instead of trying to polish it, I used some gold film I had left over from a sign writing job, and found some more for the PSU case.  

And you know what?  It worked first time and actually sounds pretty good.  It even has a decent phono stage.  I'm running it into the little EL84 power amp and the Heybrook HB3s.

I love it when a plan comes together. :D

Edited by awkwardbydesign
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Craig said:

Afraid not, just some rip off job from an art market in Brussels, IIRC

That pic is flipping donkeys years old - what were you doing back in the pics from 2005 !!?? :-) 

When I'm in tourist-mode I can go real deep!.. lol!  

That’s it for now3FE16A58-7538-439B-88C7-BD62516BCE70.thumb.jpeg.4f4a9accfd778a253349e346d5135a1a.jpeg

Edited by Iceman 16
Double post
  • Like 10

Super Wammer
On ‎05‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 16:41, Richard A said:

Looks great David. Be interested in your thoughts as Hegel get a good Press. Which model is that?

Early days I suppose, but I'm very pleased with it. The sound is very clean, especially in the treble, but not at all rolled off. The bass is tight and controlled, and I suppose with small speakers it wouldn't disguise their lack of bass, but with my large speakers it's very good indeed. I'm impressed, and it won't get changed for a very long time, if at all (unless it spontaneously explodes I suppose).

Super Wammer

Lack of change is always a good sign David! Thanks for the report - I’m very happy with my  Modwright amp but have always liked the minimalist look of the Hegel, though I have never heard one, Hence my request. Maybe someone will have one at Kegworth.

Have fun with it.

18 hours ago, awkwardbydesign said:

46968812922_f3485b2c34_c.jpg

I built this clone of a Concordant preamp about 30 years ago.  It'a not the Excelsior, but a slightly earlier version, but then Doug Dunlop hardly built two the same!   It has sat in the loft for about 20 years with no PSU, but as I was building a PSU for my 01A DHT pre, I thought I might as well make one for this.    It's not valve regulated, but at least I used better heater regulators than the original, and made them parallel not series.  It cost nothing but some time (and a big lump on my head where I banged it on a loft beam!), as I already had everything.  But I will have to buy some better knobs; I only had chicken heads.

The preamp case is brass, but instead of trying to polish it, I used some gold film I had left over from a sign writing job, and found some more for the PSU case.  

And you know what?  It worked first time and actually sounds pretty good.  It even has a decent phono stage.  I'm running it into the little EL84 power amp and the Heybrook HB3s.

I love it when a plan comes together. :D

Very nice!

Seen the amps in an Austin Powers film.:)

23 hours ago, unomelodica said:

Just in a  state of Flux currently,  office system ;

IMG_0108_zpse9rjimlh.jpg

IMG_0110_zpslr0unv6w.jpg

G

Please recruit me :D

• Like 4

On 27/01/2019 at 19:28, knaithrover said:

Think I'm about there with my living room system:

Peachtree Nova 125

Thorens TD150

Kef LS50 on Atacama stands

Bluesound Node 2i

Schiit Loki EQ

Schiit Mani Phono 

IMG_2871.JPG

Wow..your setup looks so neat. High fidelity without the noodles and all the stuff that's visually upsetting.

My wife would be immensely happy if my system had any degree of resemblance to yours :D

Indeed very well chosen and setup Sir :)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer

Just acquired this cartridge, a Highphonic MC R5 with ruby cantilever & line contact stylus. Mind you I can't listen to it yet, output is a miserly 0.12 mV & my 6:1 Partridge SUT is not a good match to say the least, so if someone has a 20:1 SUT or a head amp I could try with a view to purchase then I am open to offers!

IMGP8285.JPG

IMGP8275.JPG

20 hours ago, newlash09 said:

Wow..your setup looks so neat. High fidelity without the noodles and all the stuff that's visually upsetting.

My wife would be immensely happy if my system had any degree of resemblance to yours :D

Indeed very well chosen and setup Sir :)

That was the aim aesthetics and sound equally plus bang for buck (all 2nd hand apart from the schiit kit which is buttons anyway). Very minimalistic and sounds ab fab, quite stunning in fact. On the other hand my music room set up is another kettle of fish entirely - I will post pics of that shortly 

Thanks for your kind words newie!!

• Like 1

Super Wammer

Recently updated with newer Rega phono stage and Quadraspire bamboo platform (won at Oxford Audio Consultants’ anniversary bash). 

Nopiano’s Hi-Fi in February 2019.
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Nopiano said:

Recently updated with newer Rega phono stage and Quadraspire bamboo platform (won at Oxford Audio Consultants’ anniversary bash). 

Nopiano’s Hi-Fi in February 2019.

Wow....your system also looks damn neat and tidy Nopiano :). Another nice example of a high fidelity system, looking equally pleasing to the eyes :)

Just out of curiosity, are the SCM40's on some kind of plinths or isolation platforms.