What's yer bits'n'bobs ?

Testure:

I do like the look fo those Revels. Never heard them though. What are they like?

hifiwigwam wrote:

Testure:

I do like the look fo those Revels. Never heard them though. What are they like?

Very neutral and clean, with good bass for the size. In fact I think the midrange is slightly better balanced than their brother the F30 floorstander. I'll dig out my mini review I posted last month on the sloooww forum ( back in 2 weeks :Dthen)

Here it is:

IMHO they are quite neutral sounding, with good detail retrieval. Even though they use a 1 inch aluminium tweeter, the sound is refined and not bright or harsh, but I would say they can bring the treble of some recordings very slightly forward. They are not ruthless with bad recordings, but don’t expect them to smooth over any imperfections either. Bass from the 6.5inch woofer for a standmount is good: nice and clean with a fast response, but don’t expect the deep bass you might get from a floorstander like its cousin the F30. Actually you do have to be careful with their placement as it has a large rear facing bass port, which does need some air to breath, to avoid the bass overwhelming the room.

We only have a small flat and they are situated in a very small space (about 3m x 5m). I have had to put a bung in the ports, to tame the bass response. The M20’a also allow you to fine tune their placement with 2 controls at the back, 1 for boundary placement (on stands or in wall) reducing the bass, and the other for cutting or increasing the treble response by 1db in increments of 0.5db.

The off-axis response is very good, with little change, so not just a sweet spot speaker. The only thing to be a bit careful about is the height of the stands, it’s best to get the tweeter level roughly at ear level, it doesn’t sound too bad if the you are below the tweeter, but you definitely do get a noticeable change in tone if you are listening above the tweeter. Revels own stands were designed to be at the right height and can be screwed into the bottom of the speaker. However, they are hollow and not really designed to be sand filled unless you want to drill some holes. I don’t think there bad and haven’t heard them resonate while playing music, but I have read other opinions that using 3rd part heavy mass loaded stands, brings an even better response.

I think they look gorgeous especially in sycamore with grey baffle and feet. All other colours come with black baffle and feet. They are really well built with 1inch think cabinet and internally braced, explaining a weight of 20kg each without stands. The quality of the wood veneer is great, it’s just annoying that the veneer is not matched as a pair.

I have found them easy to drive using a 60w Densen Beat 100 integrated, but I’m sure if you give them more power, they will lap it up.

Hope that helps, otherwise I suppose I'll have to bring them to the next bake-off then :cool:;)

Guest adam

Adam - is that IKEA-esque rack from IKEA? And if so, do you recall the name?

Hi Craig.

It's not actually Ikea,though it does look very similar.I actually bought it in a local paint/furniture shop.It seems to be a common and popular style.

Ok, here's my goodies:

PICT0888.jpg

PICT0791.jpg

Naim CDX CD player

Manley Stingray integrated valve amp

Monitor Audio Studio 20 sec's

Audiophile Base supports

The Mithril silver speaker cable

Coherence Systems Cuivre Profond interconnects

B&Q paving slabs ;)

Guest Tourmaline

supercapman wrote:

Ok, here's my goodies:

PICT0791.jpg

Naim CDX CD player

Audiophile Base supports

B&Q paving slabs ;)

Hi Chris - is it Christmas already and nobody told me ?? :D

Guest Effem

supercapman wrote:

PICT0888.jpg

Naim CDX CD player

Audiophile Base supports

B&Q paving slabs ;)

You haven't told us yet how well the Stingray amp drives the 'speakers' Chris :D

MA Studio series and valves are allegedlley a lovely match. Spill the beans SC

Hi Frank/Duvet,

the Manley has everything the old Icon lacked, it has the power to control the Studio 20's beautifully,a very tight bass which goes a lot lower to boot.The top end is a lot cleaner too but it's the mid range/voices where it really excells in my system, very natural sounding.

I would say it's drier than the Icon audio I used to have, maybe slightly more solid state sounding.

Best thing.......it kicks ass when you turn up the wick ;):D:D

Negatives........ it's too bloody big for my rack and it's hot in the summer :(.