Sign in to follow this  
hifinutt

bel canto 3.5vbs dac with psu [mark one]

very nice volume controlled bel canto dac owned from new 

power supply included 

this can power power amps direct if you want and has loads of inputs , for computer i use a usb adaptor for this dac

46643935064_4beffbe1e9_z.jpgP1060498 by , on Flickr

46643935124_23df34d19c_z.jpgP1060496 by , on Flickr

can post at cost but collection would be good from brum too as its fairly heavy 

this is a review with reference to a benchmark dac 

It was relatively easy to distinguish these DACs from each other. While I'm a huge fan of the Benchmark at its price point and find it to outperform several more expensive DACs, the Bel Canto is the clear winner here. First off, the Benchmark sounds a bit lean in comparison. On the great Dave's True Story's self-titled album, Kelly Flint's vocals on "Marisa" had a nicer ambience around them via the Bel Canto—she sounded bigger and more lifelike. Another great recording, 'St. James Infirmary' by Hans Theessink on Songs Fom the Southland, made clear the greater resolving power of the Bel Canto. I would be curious to hear how the latest Benchmark with upgraded output stages compares the DACs discussed here.

Bypassing the Ref 5 and driving my amps directly with the Bel Canto was a surprise. Though the sound was excellent, I expected a bump up in detail that I did not detect. Putting the Ref 5 back in yielded a more 3D presentation and a sense of notes emerging from the void as if in a darker room. The 'darker room' phenomenon helped sustain the dramatic tension on such tracks as the Cowboy Junkies' cover of "State Trooper" on White's Off Earth Now. The above is less a knock on the Bel Canto than an endorsement of the $12,000 Ref 5. Sometimes there is addition by addition.

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue55/belcanto_dac.htm

mark 2 version costs around 2.5 k so this is quite a good price i think 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323738698668

these lns1 are rather rare these days 

40548883143_35406d92d2_z.jpgP1060507 by , on Flickr

this is a vb ref cable , think i paid 250 for this once in my mad days , its better than standard bc ref cable 

46599425235_9dcfa0a7a0_z.jpgP1060506 by , on Flickr

46791092154_3b3d4afe94_z.jpgP1060505 by , on Flickr

thanks , still got plenty of bc kit but spent a bit too much on hifi recently so need to reduce. someone else can enjoy it perhaps 

still available , brilliant volume controlled dac 

Would you be interested in selling the VB Ref cable, I have a mint condition standard VB cable as part ex.

Quite possibly , although I paid 250 some years ago I have no idea what it's worth now 

Posted (edited)

this will now have a standard vb cable but i will include delivery by DPD for nothing if anyone interested . 

Edited by hifinutt

Reduced to 799 for easter which is a bargain for a volume controlled dac with xlr inputs and outputs and well equiped . separate psu 

Posted (edited)

withdrawn currently 

Edited by hifinutt

available with standard cable , lns1 for 699 plus postage 

beautiful dac and well equiped with analogue input and various other inputs . can also be used as a pre amp if you so wish as it is volume controlled 

There are DACs that advertise themselves as 'analog-like' or its corollary, 'warm'. The warmth of analog restored to digital! Disclosure: that ain't my cup of tea at all, and I'm a huge vinyl fan. It strikes as a wrong-headed way to design. Instead of making digital the best it can be, let's try to shape it into something else. Try that with your spouse.

Further, everything's a trade-off. While the above approach might help bad recordings, it will almost certainly diminish the thrill of your best recordings by watering or warmingthem down. I'd rather not raise the average height if it means lowering the summit.

The point I'm laboring toward: the Bel Canto 3.5VB strikes as a fundamentally honest DAC. Which is to say that while no doubt a lot of listening went into the design, this isn't a DAC that sounds voiced. It's more about fidelity to the source. I'll guess it measures very well, and that's a good thing, especially for a DAC.

The 3.5VB has a super-clean, upfront presentation—this should not be confused with 'sterile'. It sounds full-blooded, yet not afraid to the let the sharp, edgy attack of Lou Reed's opening guitar hits on "Turn to Me" from the underrated New Sensations, be sharp and edgy. This increases the jump factor which I value highly, but may not be the top choice for those who prefer a more laid back, mellow sound. Which, by the way, is often the result of subtle compression.

I believe two factors are at work here. First is the utter lack of noise present in the unit. What's meant by super-clean is a lack of muffling on either a macro or micro level. What's there is heard. Great detail with no slurring anywhere in the frequency spectrum.

Second is the lack of roll-off at high frequencies which was apparent compared to some of the aforementioned DACs. Low noise plus high frequency purity and extension yielded the best sense of attack of the bunch

https://6moons.com/audioreviews/nanotech2/pro.html

This lovely versatile dac is currently still available , notice it has WBT rca onnectors at the back compared to some lower models from Bel canto . sounds very very good indeed