mr neds

Systemdek Systym 935 speakers

Hi all. Just won these on Ebay. I seem to remember that they were very well liked when released. I mainly bought them because they look like they've got the same SEAS tweeter as my old Talisman 2'S, which I dearly miss. Anyone got any info/ memories of these? I know that the Dunlop brothers are now ART loudspeakers, but info on this speaker is almost non existent on the web

Cheers in advance!

Neds

I have a pair of the smaller 931.  You have bagged yourself a bargain .. fabulous... slightly larger than LS35A bookshelf that will hold its own up against many an exotic bookshelf.  Both units in it are SEAS .. it will go loud (which the LS35A won't) but has a slightly "warmer" sound to my ears and a more realistic bass (ported enclosure).  They are fairly easy to drive but ideally you want an amp of over 35 watts a side to get the best out of them.  I cannot remember if they have the 19mm dome (which the 931 has) or the 25mm one both are superb tweeters though.  Enjoy - they are a bargain. 

Cheers Uzzy- I remembered that someone on here owned a pair. I ditched my Talismans for Concept 20's, which are good, but I miss the openness of the SEAS tweeter. I had to give up floorstanders due to a bass boom caused by me sitting in my bay window, which is my only listening position. I combined the Concepts with a Ruark Vita 50 sub, which seems to work well, but I'm looking forward to my new £50 friends!

2 minutes ago, mr neds said:

Cheers Uzzy- I remembered that someone on here owned a pair. I ditched my Talismans for Concept 20's, which are good, but I miss the openness of the SEAS tweeter. I had to give up floorstanders due to a bass boom caused by me sitting in my bay window, which is my only listening position. I combined the Concepts with a Ruark Vita 50 sub, which seems to work well, but I'm looking forward to my new £50 friends!

Blow me down - the drive units would cost you more than £50 .. that is a great bargain well done.

The joy of collection only bids! Annoyingly, I'm working 12 minutes away, but can't leave work to get them, which means a 40 minute round trip later this week. Mustn't grumble..........

Managed to collect them today! The dust caps are dented, but I’ll sort that later. Weirdly, they seem to have taken a bit of time to warm up. Not as “open” sounding as I was expecting, but very smooth so far? I suspect that the more I play them, the more I’ll like them. Bigger than I was expecting, but they sit quite nicely on the Concept stands, although that puts the tweeter slightly higher than ideal

2 hours ago, mr neds said:

Managed to collect them today! The dust caps are dented, but I’ll sort that later. Weirdly, they seem to have taken a bit of time to warm up. Not as “open” sounding as I was expecting, but very smooth so far? I suspect that the more I play them, the more I’ll like them. Bigger than I was expecting, but they sit quite nicely on the Concept stands, although that puts the tweeter slightly higher than ideal

Turn them upside down and give it a try .. I did say they are warm sounding and expansive with great bass .. give them a few days listening to let your ears adjust whatever happens you will get more than you paid for them just selling the drive units methinks :) but I wouldn't sell em.

Hi Uzzy- looks like your my only friend on this one! Found the driver specs on another ebay listing, which is handy. I feel that the smoothness is maybe a sign of the tweeter being rolled off? My sharp eared 19 year old daughter said that when I was playing L. Cohen, the voices did sound very clear, but she thought that the rest of the music sounded "less clear". She then added "might just be the recording"! For someone who mostly listens to K Pop, she's very perceptive......

2 hours ago, mr neds said:

Hi Uzzy- looks like your my only friend on this one! Found the driver specs on another ebay listing, which is handy. I feel that the smoothness is maybe a sign of the tweeter being rolled off? My sharp eared 19 year old daughter said that when I was playing L. Cohen, the voices did sound very clear, but she thought that the rest of the music sounded "less clear". She then added "might just be the recording"! For someone who mostly listens to K Pop, she's very perceptive......

I am not aware of any rolling off (you can always give the Dunlops a ring at Loudspeaker-Art (Art Loudspeakers).   I am not sure if this tweeter has ferrofluid .. if it does I guess with age and non use it may have thickened up reducing tweeter output?  Your daughter is on the ball .. try some material with a lot of cymbal splashes perhaps?  

If it is ferrofluid thickening up there are videos on you tube of how to clean and replenish.  I would have chat with the Dunlops first, they can tell you what it should be doing anyway as they designed and made it.

Good call. I did think of emailing them, but I thought that they wouldn’t be that interested in their vintage past! According to the spec, they are indeed ferrofluid tweeters, so there may be issues- these are mid 90s aren’t they? I must try the upside down thing tonight. Maybe that’ll give me a better idea. Thanks for the hand holding! I’m amazed that there are so many bits of vintage hi fi that the web has almost no mention of, these being a case in point. I’ve seen a listing for a brochure, now expired, which shows a six strong range. Have a pleasant evening sir!

4 hours ago, mr neds said:

Good call. I did think of emailing them, but I thought that they wouldn’t be that interested in their vintage past! According to the spec, they are indeed ferrofluid tweeters, so there may be issues- these are mid 90s aren’t they? I must try the upside down thing tonight. Maybe that’ll give me a better idea. Thanks for the hand holding! I’m amazed that there are so many bits of vintage hi fi that the web has almost no mention of, these being a case in point. I’ve seen a listing for a brochure, now expired, which shows a six strong range. Have a pleasant evening sir!

Hope I have been of some help .. let us know how things develop and also how they sounded upside down.  You didn't say where you had placed them in relation to the room .. from memory they like a bit of space ( at least two or three feet away from the wall and not right in the corner but experimentation on placement is key for your personal preference.

Hi Uzzy. Upside down, they sounded more focused, but not as airy, so I put them back. They would also look odd with the logo upside down at the top! My room is a bit of a pain. It's a long, narrow  knock through, with a high square archway at the halfway point, inside which are my speakers and stands. This means no back wall reinforcement. Without the sub, the bass is pretty minimal. I imagine that the lower midrange may be lessened by this position too, but, alas, it's the only place in the room they can be. They're also bigger than yours, which no doubt affects the balance. I don't think I'll go down the ferrofluid replacement route- long job, and not much cheaper than 2 replacements from Falcon. I think the tweeters are actually fine- Ruarks were apparently voiced to be bright? The only other detail is that the woofer dustcaps are pushed in, but I can't see that making much difference to the sound. Cheers  for all your moral support

• Upvote 1

In case you’re still listening mr. U, I picked up a free pair of Atacama SE 24 stands from a local Wammer. This puts the tweeters at pretty much an ideal height and they now sound crisp and detailed. However, with the sub off, I can hear very little bass from them. Maybe due to the free space siting?

6 hours ago, mr neds said:

In case you’re still listening mr. U, I picked up a free pair of Atacama SE 24 stands from a local Wammer. This puts the tweeters at pretty much an ideal height and they now sound crisp and detailed. However, with the sub off, I can hear very little bass from them. Maybe due to the free space siting?

Could be a host of reasons - you need to experiment with speaker placement (try moving closer to the wall or vice versa and closer to the side walls and vice versa) .. the 931s I have do a fair job of producing bass well into freespace (I blew a driver many moons ago winding up too loud in a room that was about 25 feet long and about 17 feet wide) so I am a tad surprised you are not getting enough bass in freespace .. still let me know how you get on with experimenting with position..   

Hi again Uzzy. It suddenly occurred to me that I could send a picture of where my speakers are. I can’t move them anywhere else really! This is taken from the sofa. It’s around 8 feet from me to the speakers. I’ve noticed that the woofers are very stiff and the port seems to be tuned quite high. Possibly, these will only come into their own when driven harder, I.e. louder than I can get away with!

B6FA0BCE-06C3-4853-B496-FF8E2211E2F5.jpeg