rabski

Time of the year?

Just been browsing the classifieds, and I have to say that I can't remember the last time there was quite so much really good stuff at really daft-cheap prices.

Is everyone suddenly skint, or the opposite and everyone is throwing the cash at new toys?

For a few grand, you could put together a system to last you a lifetime. I'm hiding my credit cards. The temptation in there is whispering things in my ear that I must not listen to...

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Links or it’s not true:yeah:

Posted (edited)

I'd get accused of shilling.

But I can see amps and speakers knee deep, a couple of very decent CD players, a handful of good DACs, a couple of lovely older TTs and a decent cartridge or two.

And some racks to stick it all on.

Edited by rabski

Super Wammer

I agree there’s a great selection out there.  I’m sure it’s a good time before the clocks go forward, not that that leaves much time tonight!  Hence most Hi-Fi Shows are in the Autumn or Spring.  But seriously, I find I spend more time outside once the weather is warmer and finer. 

Tomorrow is the anniversary of one of my larger purchases, as it happens. 

• Like 1

Happy birthday to your purchase :testy1:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rabski said:

Just been browsing the classifieds, and I have to say that I can't remember the last time there was quite so much really good stuff at really daft-cheap prices.

Is everyone suddenly skint, or the opposite and everyone is throwing the cash at new toys?

For a few grand, you could put together a system to last you a lifetime. I'm hiding my credit cards. The temptation in there is whispering things in my ear that I must not listen to...

I agree to an extent if you compare to a few years ago but if you go back ten years ago you could pick up so much more cheap.  He closed the shop (due to marital problems I was told) but a guy in Northampton was doing a fine trade in second hand stuff and sourcing most of it from ebay.   The resurgence of vinyl has seen TT prices rise considerably (I bought an original pre Linn Ariston RD11 for £68 less than ten years ago - it would go for well over £300 now.

As my old mum used to say "everything comes to he who waits" so the answer is to hold firm and keep looking if you want a particular item - work out what you think a fair price to pay is - and do not go over it when buying.   Fortunately all the gear I want costs far too much but I keep looking just in case it comes up at a price I am prepared to pay.

If I won the lottery I might be tempted to open a second hand hifi shop just for something to do (if it broke even that would be a bonus).  

Strange time of the year. It's usually coming to the end of the financial year, where either the self-employed are clapping their hands at getting a tax rebate... then find out they hadn't paid enough the previous year, so they have to give a chunk back to satisfy Mr. PAYE.

Factor in the unpredictable weather and a stuttering Prime Minister and the classifieds tend to be busier than usual.

28 minutes ago, uzzy said:

If I won the lottery I might be tempted to open a second hand hifi shop just for something to do (if it broke even that would be a bonus bloody miracle).  

Fixt.

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, uzzy said:

I agree to an extent if you compare to a few years ago but if you go back ten years ago you could pick up so much more cheap.  He closed the shop (due to marital problems I was told) but a guy in Northampton was doing a fine trade in second hand stuff and sourcing most of it from ebay.   The resurgence of vinyl has seen TT prices rise considerably (I bought an original pre Linn Ariston RD11 for £68 less than ten years ago - it would go for well over £300 now.

As my old mum used to say "everything comes to he who waits" so the answer is to hold firm and keep looking if you want a particular item - work out what you think a fair price to pay is - and do not go over it when buying.   Fortunately all the gear I want costs far too much but I keep looking just in case it comes up at a price I am prepared to pay.

If I won the lottery I might be tempted to open a second hand hifi shop just for something to do (if it broke even that would be a bonus).  

Anything vinyl-wise I agree is a lot less 'bargain basement', but some of the amps in the classifieds look serious value.

• Upvote 1

Sadly, eBay is also cluttered with people who have confused retro/vintage with old crap. Swathes of ancient budget tat - “classic” Eclipse CD player, anyone? I hadn’t really thought about people getting rid of stuff at the end of the tax year, but it makes sense. Interestingly, my mate, who moved to Geneva because of his job- I know, don’t all cry for him at once!- continually finds interesting vintage gear for tuppence, which is the opposite of what he expected. Mind you, he can’t seemto stop buying, so is probably known locally as “ le Del Boy”...........

• Upvote 1