The site will be out of service again for further upgrades regarding security fixes. Work will be carried out between 4.30am and 5.30am tomorrow morning. We apologise for the inconvenience.

Radioham

Hearing Loss

Thirty years working down the pit did for my hearing, btw I always open the battery clip when not in my ears to prolong the battery life, hope this encourages those who may have doubts about hearing loss to get sorted, it did make a difference to my life, although  I do have deaf periods when SWMBO is talking.B|

• Upvote 1

You poor bugger, that’s a worse way to lose your hearing than mine, which was largely self inflicted. I must say I was amazed when I was told to turn it off by opening the battery door- surely a little micro switch would have been better. I’m going to dig mine out this evening for some serious listening!

Having found my aid after a lot of rummaging, I put in a new battery and it sounded..........absolutely terrible! Just as I remember, even on the lowest volume, it’s intrusive, like a poorly fitted single headphone, bright, thin and liable to pick up a ticking clock, a turned book page etc. Maybe it only works with music if you have a pair,or maybe like hi fi, you have to go upmarket to get a good one? Very disappointing.

In my experience the actual type of dome (the interchangeable earbud) drastically effects the sound quality. Every manufacturer has a wide variety of domes for each hearing aid type. The types of dome relate to the amount of natural sound allowed to enter the ear canal. The more open the dome, the more ambient sound available which effects bass the most. Also the type of hearing aid is important. All makes offer RIC (reciever in canal) which provide the best sound quality for music. PM me if you want more advice.

• Like 1

Different type then? Mine hasn't got interchangeable buds- it's a sort of open silicon umbrella, which seemed to let in a loud version of my wall clock and created a 10 foot wide ride cymbal on the track I was listening to! Thanks for the offer Keith- I'll be in touch

My guess is you have a Siemens Teneo plus. The silicon umbrella just pulls off. If I am right you need to upgrade from Behind the Ear (BTE) to Reciever in Canal (RIC) for better sound quality.

21 hours ago, mr neds said:

.... turn it off by opening the battery door- surely a little micro switch would have been better....

Hearing aids use Zinc Air batteries, which have a very high capacity for their size, but once the little sticker is removed & and air enters (this 'turns on' the battery) it starts to discharge even if it is not being used. It will discharge faster when in use, so opening the door will help a bit, but once the sticker is off the clock is ticking.

Posted (edited)

It is strange isn't it that it is mostly people over 50 years old into HiFi when their hearing is obviously deteriorating. People paying a fortune for equipment, cables, etc trying to squeeze a slight improvement in SQ out of their systems, when its their ears that could be the weakest link.

Its a bit like someone with cataracts buying a 4K television.

:sofa:

Edited by AntA
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I have HF hearing loss typical of my age. (60).   I have done two or three things in the last 5 years to brighten my system slightly. ( But it is not a bright system)

I had a few problems with perforated eardrums until my early twenties. As such, I've been tested pretty regularly. I always pass hearing tests, despite me not being entirely convinced that I will. However, I've had issues for years. Any kind of significant background noise tends to leave me unable to hear voices properly (or at all). I can really annoy work colleagues and I've had a few interesting encounters in pubs and clubs because of it. In the last ten years or so, I've also encountered issues with directionality. Hi-Fi systems invariably sound louder on the left channel to me. I don't have the same problem when listening on headphones. It irritates me quite a bit having to make use of a balance feature to even things out, but it's better than the confusion of not being able to figure out what was going on. It took quite a few years to suss out.

Ant, come out from that sofa- I totally agree! My dealer said a few years ago, that, even with hearing issues, you can still tell a good system from a bad one, but it’s ironic that most people only have disposable income in later life when their hearing is faltering. Sam, my friend has worked in hi fi for years, but only mentioned a few years back that he needs the balance control! What still worries me is that, even with the best hearing aid, one ear is processing a signal coming through the air, whilst the other one is having that signal processed, then fed into it directly. I can’t see how that will ever sound balanced?

• Like 1

Hi, 

I have been waiting to hear (no pun intended) of someone in a similar situation. The major thing for me was getting used to them and the new inner voice that sounds a bit like sparky’s magic piano. 

The sound doesn’t sound immediately natural but detail has returned and the more you wear them the more it’s the norm.

For me they initially caused headaches and certain sounds were unbearable, the washing of dishes and crisp bags. Once accustomed to them, when they are removed you feel your hearing is worse.

The benefit is that you can turn down noisy children in cafe’s!

And I now hear flowing water and cicadas. 

I will dig out my traces to see how thay compare. 

Inner ear phones are now useless and I’m looking at overear tuneable cans.  

I think it’s very different if you have a pair of aids, but with just one, I think there’ll always be an imbalance. I wonder how much you have to pay for “good” quality ones? Why haven’t hi fi manufacturers got on board? I seem to Romberg being part of a thread like this a few years back, which quickly fizzled out- let’s keep this going, because it’s important for all of us!

Indeed - a pair of Quad electrostatic hearing aids would be the dog's doodahs... :rockin:

Seriously though...I'm not ready for hearing aids just yet, but with the high end of my hearing range noticeably deteriorating (~13 kHz these days) I can understand that it may become a requirement before long. The thought of inserting a potentially low-fi device between me and the music system isn't something I look forward to, so some attention by the high end audio manufacturers would be great.