Radioham

Hearing Loss

Super Wammer

Hi All,

Got the new "Aids" today.The design of the in ear capsule is like an umbrella frame without the fabric and the transducer is in the middle. That allows some real sound directly into the ear canal.  The first part of the programming was to put in the inverse of my hearing loss. A small adjustment was then made for the volume of my own voice. The aids are capable of storing 6 different programs. The audiologist suggests I come back every 2 weeks for the next six weeks for minor tweaks and to enable other features. (All FOC). 

TV sound is a lot better. Speech in particular and I have TV sound down a lot lower (Keeps the wife happy).

The Hifi is very much as before. My fear of listening down a small tube is unfounded. Percussion is enhanced but bass and mid seem much the same, although I need less volume.

So far the control button is just programmed to increase/decrease the amount of amplification which controls both aids. 

The ultrasonic response seems a bit on the high side, the rustling of crisp packets is a bit too loud as is the sound of running water. or pulling sellotape off the reel.

Will send a further report in the next couple of weeks.

Alan

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Good news Alan. If you don’t mind me asking, how  much is “Quite expensive”? I just want to see if they’re in my ballpark. I’m also interested in this side of Specsavers- I’ve always found them good with specs, although they failed to detect my wife’s glaucoma last year, saying that she “ wasn’t trying hard enough” in the test. Anyway, keep us posted!

Posted (edited)

Having gone through all this myself your experience is normal. The ultrasonic response is probably not on the high side, it is just that your brain has not heard these sounds for years and will adjust itself over time. It is very important to keep the tweaking appointments to fine tune everything as you and your brain get used to the aids. Do play with the volume over those weeks until you find the best overall setting which can then be programmed into the aids as the new default.

As far as hifi is concerned your experience is the same as mine. It was the high frequencies which were lost and have been boosted so percussion would be better and as the mid and bass have not been boosted they would be same. Likewise my wife is happier too as I do not have everything turned up as high. :)

Edited by Bit Perfect

On 29/03/2019 at 16:26, Radioham said:

Hi All,

For the past couple of years, I have had some trouble with TV sound (Missing words/Mumbling etc) anyway decided to get a hearing test done. The first test was done in store using a Tablet and headphones, to determine if I needed to see the audiologist for a full test. 

Had the results today from the full audio test and decided to "invest" in a pair of hearing aids.As you see the main loss is some 15dB from 1.5 to 3KHz. The multiple plots are left and right ears, fed via headphones and also bone conduction tests.

I wonder if the hifi will sound better ?

Anyone had experience of hearing aids and HiFi

Fitting & programming will be in a couple of weeks time. I decided not to go for the Bluetooth streaming option.

As mentioned before on this forum I wonder what the plots of HiFi reviewers look like ?

I also wonder if the reason many newer speakers sound over bright (treble lift) , is that the designers and target audience are perhaps no longer spring chickens.

Will report back in a couple of weeks.

Alan

hearing loss.jpg

I'd like to show that graph to my wife, and claim it to be mine :)

Alan, how are you getting on with your new HAs? It sounds like you have RIC type aids, reciever in canal. Which make and model?

Is there anyone else out there who just has one aid? I think that’s why I’ll always have a problem with music. I tried mine again last night after having trouble with mumbly tv dialogue. I used the noise reduction setting, with the volume as low as possible. It helped, but also unbalanced my surround sound.

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

Hi,

In reply to a few questions. They are on the ear type made by Siemens and the cost was just over £2K for the pair

Alan

Edited by Radioham

Hi all

Very interested to read this topic - I suffer from tinnitus in both ears (far worse in one than the other though) and have been toying with the idea of getting hearing aids to help with this. The damage is totally self-inflicted - so sympathy is not appropriate! Nevertheless I recognise the symptoms that many of you describe, being unable to hear conversation in environments with a lot of background noise, turning up the TV too much, etc

So how are you getting on with your new aids, Alan? Have you been back for further "tuning", and have you now got used to the revised frequency response that you're hearing?

Jules

I frequently only wear one aid, usually the one in the ear nearest the other person in the car(driving or passengering ) as appropriate, although usually none in my car if the roofs down, the wind noise is horrific, this can happen outside too, to a lesser degree, so aids out till I reach destination then re insert, normal service restored.