Radioham

Hearing Loss

Super Wammer

No doubt there will be an audiologist along in a minute but aren’t there some mis-conceptions here? There are a lot of comments about frequency we hear but actually a lot of what a hearing aid will do is to do with volume i.e amplification. Which matters most - not hearing a pure tone of 12kHz through headphones or hearing leaves rustle? Or birdsong when we can see the bird? The top note on an 88key piano is about 4k and no-one speaks in those frequencies. 

I know about harmonics etc etc. But as long as I can hear a normal vocal range I think i can do without a hearing aid.📢📢

No, hearing aids aren’t crude ear trumpets, they’re programmed to your hearing loss graph, so only your reduced frequencies are boosted. The quality of that boost will come down to the quality of the device. This would hopefully give you back close to full hearing range, depending on how severe your loss is

I went to an engagement party last night. The disco apart from playing totally crap music was so load it actually hurt my ears, I actually fashioned some ear plugs from a paper napkin to prevent damage to my hearing. I really don't get why the music has to be so loud, it is not just loud its distorted through crap speakers. Before I get the comments about its because I'm an old git, I never have liked music so loud it hurts. My hearing is pretty good for my age, I've lost a bit from the high frequencies but not too bad for my age. One thing I have always had is a bit of difficulty in discerning people talking in a noisy room I don't think its my ears as I've never had a problem or failed a hearing test, perhaps its how my brain processes the sounds?   

Super Wammer

1497798936_eartrumpet21.JPG.bc1768023d214ae6e70ed614169be945.JPG

Super Wammer
19 hours ago, wino2020 said:

No doubt there will be an audiologist along in a minute but aren’t there some mis-conceptions here? There are a lot of comments about frequency we hear but actually a lot of what a hearing aid will do is to do with volume i.e amplification. Which matters most - not hearing a pure tone of 12kHz through headphones or hearing leaves rustle? Or birdsong when we can see the bird? The top note on an 88key piano is about 4k and no-one speaks in those frequencies. 

I know about harmonics etc etc. But as long as I can hear a normal vocal range I think i can do without a hearing aid.📢📢

I agree.  I was never bothered about any lack of range when listening to FM Radio 3 when I was 25 or 30 years old, even if my MC cartridge seemed a bit more detailed.  In practice the Beeb probably didn’t relay much above 12kHz anyway, and it doubtless went via an 11-bit link!

For me the overarching point on hearing is if a live concert - and I mean an orchestra in a nice hall, not a rock band - sounds ok, then the HiFi simply needs to make a fair crack at that to sound ok at home too. Obviously if live music sounds weird, as my musician uncle sadly discovered some years ago after a shingles attack, then you’ll have bigger problems. 

Super Wammer

As the OP I should get my "Aids" programmed and fitted on the 15th of this month (1 week away). :) or :( .

I have selected quite an expensive model from Specsavers which is manufactured by Siemens. Its an over the ear type with forward facing microphone and a tube into the ear canal.The audiologist suggested that this will be the better type as the ear will still be open to allow the bass frequencies into the ear. He did not recommend the in ear type for my level of hearing loss, and type of listening.

There is a 4 year warranty and  he suggested getting them checked/reprogrammed about once a year (free), or sooner if I am not happy with the settings.

Will report back later.

Alan

Like most things I think some of the result is down to the installer/audio technician, at my local hospital (where I get it all done free) after the test he programmes the aid and then a test is done using a mic installed in the ear next to the output of the hearing aid, he then can fine tune the frequencies and volume to match the chart, the proof of the pudding is in the hearing.

I did have some problems with feedback when my head was near the chair back or carheadrest but this was easily dialled out, I’m waiting for a date for my checkup to see if all is up to scratch and changes will be done at the time.

I had a hearing test at the local specsavers around august last year (perhaps earlier), the lady doing it (I took mum) was very professional and matter of fact. It was free at the time (I am not of as well meaned as many of you :)) and though there was a fair amount of background sound (the branch being on a busy streets) I was told my hearing was good and still show signs of some issues related to loud music. When I was younger in London I went to The End club a few times and used to lean on the speaker cabs and that is about the loudest I have experienced (even compared to Notting Hill Carnival , which I missed last year and plan to miss again). I remember a hip hop group in the late 90s who cranked the cabs all the way up and it was loud enough that the vibrational impact was just as impactful as the audio.

Ear tests are to be recommended for audio fan.

Apparently, analogue aids are better for music, but I’ve forgotten the manufacturer! I found out about them from PS Audio on You Tube. I think they’re sold in the uk . I don’t know how they’re programmed without digital settings, but no doubt someone will have a suggestion or find out?

With DSP as it is, why not get yourself a digital source with that built in or simply download an app that works on a laptop? The top octave or two are, musically, a waste of time IMHO.

No, I meant that music is not all we need to hear! I’d like a hearing aid that makes music sound better but also functions for daily life

20 hours ago, Tune said:

With DSP as it is, why not get yourself a digital source with that built in or simply download an app that works on a laptop? The top octave or two are, musically, a waste of time IMHO.

This depends on somewhat the amp and preamp levels (and these days digital decode evaluate) as well as the speakers or headphones (pleasingly my elacs stand up to dt990s, I have more siver cables on the way for that reason). 

The top end can get more garbled but I do listen to the occasional jaguar skills or ninja tune or solid state or similar so it's nice to appreciate the mixing and scrathinged.