Radioham

Hearing Loss

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

Hi All,

For the past couple of years, I have had some trouble with TV sound (Missing words/Mumbling etc) anyway decided to get a hearing test done. The first test was done in store using a Tablet and headphones, to determine if I needed to see the audiologist for a full test. 

Had the results today from the full audio test and decided to "invest" in a pair of hearing aids.As you see the main loss is some 15dB from 1.5 to 3KHz. The multiple plots are left and right ears, fed via headphones and also bone conduction tests.

I wonder if the hifi will sound better ?

Anyone had experience of hearing aids and HiFi

Fitting & programming will be in a couple of weeks time. I decided not to go for the Bluetooth streaming option.

As mentioned before on this forum I wonder what the plots of HiFi reviewers look like ?

I also wonder if the reason many newer speakers sound over bright (treble lift) , is that the designers and target audience are perhaps no longer spring chickens.

Will report back in a couple of weeks.

Alan

hearing loss.jpg

Edited by Radioham

I have not yet. But my graph looks like yours.

My Hifi sounds fine, my wife says I don't hear anything she says.

• Haha 7

Selective hearing loss may be an evolutionary adaptation for marital survival. I frequently don't hear things said to me by my wife whilst she is in distant parts of the house. This form of deafness is quite tolerable...

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Radioham said:

Hi All,

For the past couple of years, I have had some trouble with TV sound (Missing words/Mumbling etc) anyway decided to get a hearing test done. The first test was done in store using a Tablet and headphones, to determine if I needed to see the audiologist for a full test. 

Had the results today from the full audio test and decided to "invest" in a pair of hearing aids.As you see the main loss is some 15dB from 1.5 to 3KHz. The multiple plots are left and right ears, fed via headphones and also bone conduction tests.

Fitting & programming will be in a couple of weeks time. I decided not to go for the Bluetooth streaming option.

As mentioned before on this forum I wonder what the plots of HiFi reviewers look like ?

I also wonder if the reason many newer speakers sound over bright (treble lift) , is that the designers and target audience are perhaps no longer spring chickens.

Alan

hearing loss.jpg

I will stand corrected but that graph is what most people over 55's hearing will be like , mine dips a bit later along at the higher frequencies . I went for a test last year , I've had a few trying to solve my tinnitus , the most recent I took further and hearing aids were programmed to replace my high frequency loss and kid the brain not to mimic the sound (tinnitus) , I don't wear them as I can hear ok but I did try them and with Hi-Fi , things are crisper , maybe brighter to some . 

Super Wammer

Hi Alan, thanks for sharing this.  There was a series of articles in HiFi News magazine a few years ago iirc about hearing aids and Hifi. My recollection was that they were well received and generated quite a bit of correspondence. You may find them online, or if you can’t, pm me and I’ll hunt through my back copies  

Re your graphs, are you taking the -30dB line as the reference level?  If so, the higher end is obviously dramatically down.  I know my own hearing is much weaker above about 12kHz now, but I’m not sure by how much. Specsavers do a good free hearing app which I’ve used at home, but I pass that!

As for brightness in modern speakers, it’s definitely a trend, but not - I believe - linked as you infer. I think it’s popular because it’s impressive on demos, and adds ‘air’ and ‘spaciousness’ which are often mistaken for transparency. However, accurate speakers without added brilliance, will still sound more accurate. Your brain will be making big adjustments already and HiFi is still about reproducing accurately what’s on the recording.  So, unless you perceive live concerts as dull and muffled, you don’t want artificial boosts at home. 

Good luck with your fittings, etc!

1 hour ago, Colinjg said:

My Hifi sounds fine, my wife says I don't hear anything she says.

Sounds entirely normal... :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pardon?

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, rabski said:

Pardon?

You twit. And I can't spell... :D

1 hour ago, Radioham said:

Hi All,

Alan

hearing loss.jpg

If you don't mind using headphones it may be possible to EQ their response to compensate for your hearing loss. Just make sure that it won't produce even more damage.

I use hearing aids due to a combination of age and industrial damage. If they are set up properly and boost the frequencies that are not as good the correct amount as they should be it certainly improves listening to hifi. They do not make it quite like having full hearing but are an aid. I only hope that the setup which you currently enjoy does not sound overly bright with the aids fitted!

I’ve had a hearing aid for my left ear for some years, but never use it, because it sounded somehow “ artificial”, which of course it is! My loss was at around 4K, i.e. the speech band. The other issue was that the battery drained very quickly, even when it was off. Mine is an NHS one and to turn it off, you just swing out the battery holder. The hospital said that I could get free replacement batteries if I took the exhausted ones back to outpatients, but I reckon it would have meant going every fortnight or even less. I asked the Audiologist about listening to hi fi and he said , “just turn it up!”. I guess my main worry is that I’d be listening to what I hope is a good sound system through a small ear mic. Maybe I should get some batteries and try again, although my hearing has probably got worse since I got it!

I have two nhs aids probably the same as mr neds, I came in at night after work the day I got mine and first thing turned on the hifi, suddenly there was the notes that had been awol, it sounded better at once although I did make a couple of trips back to the clinic for fine tuning. I get 6/7 days from a battery and packs two at a time from the health clinic or audiology clinic and never have to produce knackered batteries in exchange. 

Digital aids can be tuned to amplify only where your ears are lacking and take minutes to tweak,  my family no longer worry about hifi or tv volumes, and I can take part in conversations in noisy environments confident I’m not guessing the wrong answer to a remark, wouldn’t be without them now- unless SWMBO is on the warpath.

Hi Martin. For some reason, I didn't get notified of your reply? My aid is a Siemens. It didn't occur to me that you could get a reprogram! I think I'll look into the battery thing and try again. My aid is probably 5-6 years old, so I would guess it's still a good one. Cheers and happy hearing!

Thankfully, my hearing is still up to scratch. However, now whenever I get a cold it seems to effect my ears more. Perhaps it's just an age thing.

Most hearing loss is an age thing, but it doesn't help if you spent years in bands thinking loud rehearsals or gigs were exciting- without even thinking of earplugs!