radiant red

Took the plunge again....Harbeth & Sugden

5 hours ago, radiant red said:

Good sound.. quite effortless.. C7’s and the a21a imo match made in heaven 

I'm pleased that they are as good, as, possibly even better, than you remember them :^

I'm glad to know that the Sugden A21a has worked out well for you.

The Sugden is only 25W into 8 ohms and it sounded more powerful than the Rega Elex R which is rated at 72.5W into 8 ohms. Power rating on paper only tells you part of the equation as the power supply is equally if not more important. I guess the power supply of the Sugden is more robust than the one in the Rega and is able to provide more current to drive the speakers. The Rega Elicit Mk2 also didn't provide too much grip and control to the Super HL5s when compared to the lower powered LFD and Naim amps which I tried.

23 hours ago, ryder said:

I'm glad to know that the Sugden A21a has worked out well for you.

The Sugden is only 25W into 8 ohms and it sounded more powerful than the Rega Elex R which is rated at 72.5W into 8 ohms. Power rating on paper only tells you part of the equation as the power supply is equally if not more important. I guess the power supply of the Sugden is more robust than the one in the Rega and is able to provide more current to drive the speakers. The Rega Elicit Mk2 also didn't provide too much grip and control to the Super HL5s when compared to the lower powered LFD and Naim amps which I tried.

The Rega is an excellent amp imo and few come close. One that doesn’t run out of steam with many speakers on the end of it. 

What Class A does as you say, deliver plenty of current and the Harbeths are a 6ohm load so in truth, the Sugden is delivering a little bit more that would suggest. In addition, the current delivery is much more ‘instant’ with a Class a enabling it to deliver a fulsome sound immediately after warm up

Absolutely loving the combination tonight with the Sugden... glorious texture 

• Like 4

Sugden certainly have a certain magic , glad it is gelling with the harbs

• Like 1

Really enjoyed reading this thread. Having been through a divorce and having sold my valve monoblocks, I understand the joys of re-engaging in music. 

I listened to some harbeth shl5 and an EAR 899 last year. the midrange was stunning.

• Like 2

very nice , an exceptional amp. I see there is a s/h sugden anv -50 on ebay if anyone wants to try the latest model 

1 hour ago, hifinutt said:

very nice , an exceptional amp. I see there is a s/h sugden anv -50 on ebay if anyone wants to try the latest model 

I’m not tempted lol!

when I first put the Sugden and Harbeth together, I used Van Damme cables for about 2 weeks and then put in the TQ blacks back in and dynamics are more apparent and sounds ‘cleaner’ if that makes sense. 

Definitely a positive difference  

I too have enjoyed reading this thread, pleased life is treating you a little kinder now radiant red. Music is one of life's simple pleasures.

I moved from ATC SCM40 to Harbeth 30.1. SCM40 sounded wonderful but alas offered too much bass for my room. After about 8 months of ownership I just love the 30.1, they fill the room with an intoxicating and beguiling sound that is endlessly listenable. Everything sounds good on them, good or poor recordings. Low bass doesn't quite match the accuracy of SCM40. I found the mids and top end surprisingly similar to SCM40, the 30.1 perhaps has the edge here over ATC. Both incredible speakers.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, halloweenman said:

Everything sounds good on them, good or poor recordings.

I'm always concerned when I read this.

Surely, good recordings should sound good and poor recordings should sound poor, n'est ce pas ?

9 minutes ago, Idlewithnodrive said:

Surely, good recordings should sound good and poor recordings should sound poor, n'est ce pas ?

They don't have to.  It's a balance between getting the very, very best out of marvellous recordings and making less good recordings listenable.  A choice.  If you choose the highest-fi, you limit your listening to those brilliant recordings.  I might if I listened to 100% classical, but I don't, so no.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, halloweenman said:

I too have enjoyed reading this thread, pleased life is treating you a little kinder now radiant red. Music is one of life's simple pleasures.

I moved from ATC SCM40 to Harbeth 30.1. SCM40 sounded wonderful but alas offered too much bass for my room. After about 8 months of ownership I just love the 30.1, they fill the room with an intoxicating and beguiling sound that is endlessly listenable. Everything sounds good on them, good or poor recordings. Low bass doesn't quite match the accuracy of SCM40. I found the mids and top end surprisingly similar to SCM40, the 30.1 perhaps has the edge here over ATC. Both incredible speakers.

Very kind words ... yes, life is moving on but it’s always in the back of my mind.. terrible and difficult year.. I love music and probably had I not gone through what I did last year, I might not have purchased the Harbeths but what the hell, your only here once and despite having no other luxuries spent out in the last few months, to me, it was worth it

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, meninblack said:

They don't have to.  It's a balance between getting the very, very best out of marvellous recordings and making less good recordings listenable.  A choice.  If you choose the highest-fi, you limit your listening to those brilliant recordings.  I might if I listened to 100% classical, but I don't, so no.

I simply choose to replay whatever is on the software as faithfully as possible.