radiant red

Took the plunge again....Harbeth & Sugden

5 hours ago, radiant red said:

Good sound.. quite effortless.. C7’s and the a21a imo match made in heaven 

I'm pleased that they are as good, as, possibly even better, than you remember them :^

I'm glad to know that the Sugden A21a has worked out well for you.

The Sugden is only 25W into 8 ohms and it sounded more powerful than the Rega Elex R which is rated at 72.5W into 8 ohms. Power rating on paper only tells you part of the equation as the power supply is equally if not more important. I guess the power supply of the Sugden is more robust than the one in the Rega and is able to provide more current to drive the speakers. The Rega Elicit Mk2 also didn't provide too much grip and control to the Super HL5s when compared to the lower powered LFD and Naim amps which I tried.

23 hours ago, ryder said:

I'm glad to know that the Sugden A21a has worked out well for you.

The Sugden is only 25W into 8 ohms and it sounded more powerful than the Rega Elex R which is rated at 72.5W into 8 ohms. Power rating on paper only tells you part of the equation as the power supply is equally if not more important. I guess the power supply of the Sugden is more robust than the one in the Rega and is able to provide more current to drive the speakers. The Rega Elicit Mk2 also didn't provide too much grip and control to the Super HL5s when compared to the lower powered LFD and Naim amps which I tried.

The Rega is an excellent amp imo and few come close. One that doesn’t run out of steam with many speakers on the end of it. 

What Class A does as you say, deliver plenty of current and the Harbeths are a 6ohm load so in truth, the Sugden is delivering a little bit more that would suggest. In addition, the current delivery is much more ‘instant’ with a Class a enabling it to deliver a fulsome sound immediately after warm up