Sign in to follow this  
macfan

Ordering new Akurate

Hello -

Just got back from my Linn dealer which is 205 miles away. First time really listening to the table and to my ears it is clearly better than anything else I have auditioned. Was able to directly compare a Majik and Akurate with the same sources. While the Majik is clearly better than the other tables I have listened to, the Akurate clearly is more "open" and inviting. I paid attention and listened to the albums we plaid more. So...an Akurate it is.

That said - if I Were to splurge on one upgrade what do you all think of just getting it with the Radikal power supply with the Akurate enclosure. It seems the general consensus is this is one of the best options I can choose. The dealer felt going this direction would be great followed by a Kandid, Ekos, and then the Keel.

Since we have to work on the inside while building would you all go ahead and do the power supply?

Thanks -

• Like 1

I would! Also, personally, I would reverse those last three choices too and go Keel, Ekos/SE and then Kandid. Others’ opinions may (and probably will) differ...

Mick

• Upvote 1

The conventional 'hierarchy' (or the order in which you upgrade, if - like most of us - you can't do it all at once) is: main bearing (but if you are buying new you will have a Cirkus in any case, so that's taken care of) -> power supply/motor -> sub-chassis -> tonearm -> cartridge. However, circumstances alter cases; for example, a good price offer on an "out of sequence" component may make sense. And there are two components, not in the list, where external factors may determine the priority.

The first of these is the Trampolin, as a replacement for the solid base. The Trampolin is not that expensive, as these things go, and for most turntable locations I would advise having it fitted at any time that work is being done on the turntable. The second is the phono stage in use. If a decent quality phono stage is fitted in the pre-amplifier or integrated amp you are using, replacing it may be low priority. If you are using pre-amplification (for example, a Klimax DSM) that does not have a phono stage built in, the choice (Linn and non-Linn) is endless. I would say, however, that if you are sticking with moving magnet cartridges, say for logistic and cost of ownership reasons, the Linn offer in separate phono stages (the Uphorik) may not be your best buy. I have had good experience with the much less expensive Lejonklou models (which are developed with the Adikt as the reference cartridge), but there many other options..

On that basis, if your initial purchase is a Majik TT plus one upgrade, the Radikal is a good choice. Those who have made the comparison say that the machined (klimax) version sounds better, which is a bore, as the price differential is substantial. But the Radikal with the standard case may suit you for much longer than buying a Lingo 4 and then finding yourself upgrading again rather quickly (which is what happened in my case). If funds run to the Trampolin and a second hand Kore as part of the same upgrade, so much the better.

David

Edited by DavidHB

Thanks for the info. The build is basically an Akurate with a custom WoodSong plinth for no other reason than I like the look. The rest of it will be all standard Linn stuff with the exception of the possibility of the power supply upgrade.

Thanks -

45 minutes ago, macfan said:

Thanks for the info. The build is basically an Akurate with a custom WoodSong plinth for no other reason than I like the look. The rest of it will be all standard Linn stuff with the exception of the possibility of the power supply upgrade.

Apologies for not reading your post as carefully as I should have done. From the Akurate spec, the Radikal is more than likely to be your preferred next step; over the years on the old Linn forum, that is the consensus that emerged. Your ears (and the budget) have to decide whether the machined version is worth the price differential. The Lingo 4 is good, but the Radikal gives you more of what the LP has to offer, with a convincing 'solidity' in the sound, which I find is generally matched on the streaming side only by the highest resolution digital files.

Beyond the Radikal and with an otherwise Akurate level deck (and bearing in mind that you have the Krystal, I think that there might be different opinions as to whether Kore to Keel or Akito to Ekos SE/1 is the next step, though the 'hierarchy' would suggest the former. Ideally, your dealer would allow you to listen to the alternatives so that your ears can decide.

As a matter of interest, what phono stage and other downstream equipment will you be using?

David

Phono stage is on my 70th anniversary McIntosh C70. It is based on the C22. There are 2x 12AX7 tubes (L&R) for each of the MM and MC inputs. There is also a 12AX7 input tube and a 12AT7 output tube. The loading for the cartridge is dynamically adjustable with front panel knobs. Also has tone controls which I find I actually like and are fully defeatable if you want to bypass. The unit can also switch to mono.

MM - 50,100,150,200,250,300,350

MC - 25,50,100,150,200,500,1k

Big fan of this piece and it has been a wonderful addition to my systems. Two photos attahed.

BTW, not sure why Linn does not have a larger presence here in the states - especially with the resurgence of vinyl these past few years.I live in a major city and still had to drive 200 miles (320 km) one way to see and listen to a system. My dealer is great and very helpful. The next closet dealer is in South Florida 814 miles (1310 km). I guess the market for TT in this price range is small. 

However, while I could purchase a McIntosh MT5 or MT10 (similar or greater pricing) - after listening to them I had no interest. I played the same audition material on the MT5 as the LP12 and both the Majik and Akurate easily outperfromed what is essentially a Clearaudio TT with a terrible cartridge. Glad I made the drive. Was quite a revelation as to what vinyl can actually do - especially with good clean sources.

2019 - stereo history - mcintosh c70 front.jpg

2019 - stereo history - mcintosh c70 top.jpg

Sign in to follow this