MF 1000

Sub bass & bass Speakers with 18" Volt RV4564 drivers

Very handy

Super Wammer

Sweet, you can't go wrong with Volt Bass! :rockin:

Although I have only used a couple of the 'smaller' 8" and 10" mid-bass drivers!

Super Wammer

My adventures in bass cabinets continue and over the past couple of days I've added 18mm of mdf to the base of each cabinet, but more importantly experimented with using threaded bar to clamp the top to bottom & lhs to rhs.

A few M6 x 1 m long rods (only £1.57 each from toolstation 😁) and nylon nuts along with some penny washers and I investigated fitting two vertical rods to link the top of the cabinet to the base either side of the driver magnet.  These rods would eventually serve two purposes....clamping the cabinet sides and also securing the birchply skin when I've finished all the mods etc.  A single rod was used across the cabinet to clamp the lhs to the rhs and then fire them up and check any changes with REW

IMG_0090.JPG.5c02069cc271fa6dd105a67091da8d04.JPG

here you can see the rods in place

and the current fixing on the top .....for the birchply outer ill use barrel nuts in countersunk holes to give a smooth finish

IMG_0091.JPG.548bc1655f7bdcb7331d936246d7aa3a.JPG

a quck analysis with REW gave the curve below

IMG_0089.thumb.JPG.4cd248bb2b5d2b72c93188bca0d00b7a.JPG

the red curve is unclamps.....green clamped which shows a nice gain in the 20-60Hz region 😀.  I will now look at how a few more strategically placed rods will control the vibrations.  Sound wise it appears a bit tighter too.

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer

Just picked up an extra Behringer A500 so once back home I can experiment this weekend with using each one in bridged mono mode to provide 500 watts to each of the Volts 😀😀😀

• Upvote 3

Super Wammer
4 hours ago, MF 1000 said:

Just picked up an extra Behringer A500 so once back home I can experiment this weekend with using each one in bridged mono mode to provide 500 watts to each of the Volts 😀😀😀

Keith if I see any notices that there has been suspected earthquake in your area then you have been alittle bit too liberal with the volume control . Good luck hope it works for you .

• Haha 1

Super Wammer

Got back from my travels and plugged in the extra A500 - both of them set into bridged mono mode.  A quick listen of three randomish tracks (Chris Rhea and Marcus Millar) allowed me to set a gain level on the amps (2 O' Clock on the dials) and then relistened to the tracks.  

First impression was of more detail in some bass lines ....longer decays, increase in detail on kick drums etc, with a bit more general 'atmosphere' .....all very subjective of course 😀

Ill try some REW analysis over the weekend and see what that does or doesn't show etc.

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer

Did a quick sweep with REW ......

IMG_0097.thumb.JPG.6f7ce3a8f052ac1ff60b86e5de81f545.JPG

The green line is with the Twin A500's in bridged mono format the red line is single A500 feeding the Volts.  A nice 4 dB lift all across from 15-100Hz backing up what my listening tests had given me.

Here is a plot of the journey so far - the blue curve is the Volts as I bought them 

IMG_0096.thumb.JPG.c538bbaa8d640b87aa93cb622b27aca1.JPG

Quite a change and shows really that even with the best drivers if they aren't in a good enclosure and fed by sufficient amplification you won't get optimum performance etc.

Next is more cabinet bracing and test out the pre xover graphic eq idea too.

• Upvote 2