Shadders

Revealing Hifi System – How Is It Achieved ???

5 minutes ago, Blackmetalboon said:

Is anyone local to @uzzy? Perhaps they could pop round to check that he’s not having a stroke sitting at the keyboard!

Of he is ok, perhaps @Paulssurround could send him a new Cat 8 Ethernet cable as his seems to be faulty.😉

It was typing in English and converted to jibersh when I saved what i had typed - I guess it is the pc telling us most of the comments are jiberish as a Revealing System is defined by the listener and we all have different opinions - One man's revealing is another man's analytical tedium etc.

MInd you it was no less jiberish than most of my comments :D 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Shadders said:

Hi,

I disagree. A more revealing system may have the attributes i stated earlier - a slow peak in frequency response, as resonance in the frequency band, THD peak in the frequency band, room effects, or purely placebo.

I would argue that deviation from a flat frequency response is a form of distortion, and so covered by what you're disagreeing with. 

1 hour ago, Shadders said:

That is, you may believe that one system is more revealing, but if it has a peak at the frequency where you hear more detail - it is not more resolving, it is just amplifying parts of the spectrum. You therefore believe it is more revealing.

I wrote the following on the first page of this thread:

On 23/03/2019 at 17:12, MartinC said:

To me a sensibly revealing system would mean one that has a low noise floor and low distortion (of all types).

A not so sensible 'revealing' system would be one that emphasised a particular part of the frequency spectrum and so was more likely to show up differences in this area.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Shadders said:

As you may have guessed, i do not accept the marketing techniques, especially when they are used a facts by people trying to support their subjective claims, when science proves such differences cannot exist.

Hi,

This fine, but perhaps try to differentiate this marketing BS from the experiences of users who are trying to relate an actual experience that they have had. I must say that I haven't encountered, personally, any adverts claiming revealing qualities, but that's just me. 

I have had the "removing a layer of hash" experience, several times, mostly and most obviously in SE valve amplifiers with speaker cables. The de-hashed system is more revealing, or more transparent as I like to call it. I have been comforted recently that it's not just me and that other people experience the same thing. I don't know what is going on but I very much suspect that I could record the difference with a microphone, so it must be measurable. I suspect software analysis of some kind could extract some numbers. Not my specialty unfortunately.

😀

• Upvote 1

Super Dealer
2 hours ago, sunbeamgls said:

Too simplistic, as usual.

You would agree I presume that soffit mounted fullrange loudspeakers in a professionally designed control/mixing/mastering room would be revealing?

Keith

11 minutes ago, uzzy said:

It was typing in English and converted to jibersh when I saved what i had typed - I guess it is the pc telling us most of the comments are jiberish as a Revealing System is defined by the listener and we all have different opinions - One man's revealing is another man's analytical tedium etc.

MInd you it was no less jiberish than most of my comments :D 

Actually, it was far more interesting than many of the comments here. I rather enjoyed reading it.

• Haha 1

Super Wammer
33 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

You would agree I presume that soffit mounted fullrange loudspeakers in a professionally designed control/mixing/mastering room would be revealing?

Keith

I would disgree that all amplifiers and digital sources that measure well, according to the limited range of measurements used in the industry, all sound the same.  With or without your blindfold.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Blackmetalboon said:

Of he is ok, perhaps @Paulssurround could send him a new Cat 8 Ethernet cable as his seems to be faulty.😉

Sure, I would be happy to do that.

Please send your cheque, electronic transfer or PayPal to Children’s Orphan Fund, for £125.   🏄🏻‍♂️🌊

Edited by Paulssurround
  • Haha 1

Going back to the the opening post, there are many ways to improve the sound quality and make your system more revealing, on the HiFi system you already have.

Here are some suggestions you can try in your HiFi system :

Proper speaker positioning is a good place to start, placing the speakers at an equal distance from the front and side walls, with appropriate toe-in, if you have the room shape to do that. It is also helpful to make sure your speaker cabinets are leveled and secured so they don’t move when you rock them.

Cable management is important, to make sure your mains cables are well away from your interconnects, speaker cables, and Ethernet cables.

Adding acoustic room treatment can help reduce excessive bass and harsh highs, that mask the musical details . This can be as easy as trying out some pillows between the speaker and the wall, adding thicker curtains on the windows, and adding an area rug between your listening position and the speakers.

Vibration control for the electronics and the speakers is helpful to get the best. Try some felt pads under the feet of your electronics.  Even better than felt pads, is to install IKEA Gunstig silicon pads under the feet of your electronics.

Try not to plug in your audio equipment into the same power bar or circuit as your TV, BluRay players, and HD boxes.

• Like 1

Having just read all 10 pages of this i've forgotten what was the point of the original posting........i fear i'm not alone

• Haha 1

On 27/03/2019 at 10:42, joolz said:

Having just read all 10 pages of this i've forgotten what was the point of the original posting........i fear i'm not alone

Good point although I am not in fear in fact I am rather glad to think I am not alone ...:sucks: