tuga

The music of Radiohead

Posted (edited)

From my mid-tweeties onwards I unintentionally found myself gravitating away from rock music and towards classical and vintage jazz. In spite of this change in taste, I have kept an interest in the work of a few exceptional bands. Radiohead is one such band, and I though it worth creating a topic that scratches a bit beneath the surface and dives into the music-making of the quintet.

Here's a video which analyses "How Radiohead Writes A Chord Progression"

Edited by tuga
  • Upvote 1

Before and After ‘OK Computer’ | Listen to the Sound of Rock Being Deprogrammed

Charles Aaron – The New York Times

The Radiohead frontman Thom Yorke impishly said of “OK Computer,” his band’s critically enshrined 1997 multiplatinum album, that he wanted “to make a record that you could sit down and eat to in a nice restaurant, a record that would be cool and be part of the furniture.” In a way, Radiohead succeeded, despite itself. Sure, the album created a restless, chilly roar of alienation, but it also wrapped you in a group hug of conflicted yearning that gradually drifted into just plain yearning – lovely and melancholy. Mr. Yorke’s wail and Jonny Greenwood’s guitar were nothing if not au courant, artfully distorting a deep catalog of references.

“OK Computer” has a reputation as a sprawling dystopian reckoning, a commentary on the time’s relentlessly digitizing means of production by thrashing those very means. It’s an album of the proper sort – striving towards a narrative of sound and vision. If you wish, there are treatises to consult on this matter. Ultimately, the record serves as Radiohead’s sturdiest argument for itself as one of rock’s most thoughtful and sonically compelling bands, a claim that critics and fans have made consistently since its release 20 years ago.

Here, an audio guide to the album’s 12 songs, plus what came before, and what came after. It’s the sound of rock being treated as a virus in urgent need of decoding.

continues here:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/06/23/arts/music/radiohead-ok-computer-influences-playlist.html

21 minutes ago, tuga said:

Before and After ‘OK Computer’ | Listen to the Sound of Rock Being Deprogrammed

Charles Aaron – The New York Times

The Radiohead frontman Thom Yorke impishly said of “OK Computer,” his band’s critically enshrined 1997 multiplatinum album, that he wanted “to make a record that you could sit down and eat to in a nice restaurant, a record that would be cool and be part of the furniture.” In a way, Radiohead succeeded, despite itself. Sure, the album created a restless, chilly roar of alienation, but it also wrapped you in a group hug of conflicted yearning that gradually drifted into just plain yearning – lovely and melancholy. Mr. Yorke’s wail and Jonny Greenwood’s guitar were nothing if not au courant, artfully distorting a deep catalog of references.

“OK Computer” has a reputation as a sprawling dystopian reckoning, a commentary on the time’s relentlessly digitizing means of production by thrashing those very means. It’s an album of the proper sort – striving towards a narrative of sound and vision. If you wish, there are treatises to consult on this matter. Ultimately, the record serves as Radiohead’s sturdiest argument for itself as one of rock’s most thoughtful and sonically compelling bands, a claim that critics and fans have made consistently since its release 20 years ago.

Here, an audio guide to the album’s 12 songs, plus what came before, and what came after. It’s the sound of rock being treated as a virus in urgent need of decoding.

continues here:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/06/23/arts/music/radiohead-ok-computer-influences-playlist.html

Never really gravitated to 'OK Computer'. To me it was very experimental (concept feel to it). The highlight is 'No Surprises'. Excellent track. Other than that it wanders disjointedly - certainly not an album you can eat with, unless you're a cannibal.

Much prefer 'The Bends'. I have both albums and can't remember the last time I played 'Ok Computer'.

I'm a big fan of OK Computer but strangely haven't really investigated Radiohead post that album.

• Like 1

They're my favourite band (of those that are still alive/going) and I look forward to every new album quite unlike anything else. They're a band that are constantly evolving as they discover new influences and techniques. As a teenager in the late 90's I was aware of great songs like Creep and The Bends sat among various indie rock CDs on my shelf but, for me,  this is the point Radiohead took things to a whole new level. Stratospheric.

And how did they follow up the huge critical acclaim of OK Computer? More of the same? Nope. Kid A. A completely different but equally brilliant album.

They're my generation's Pink Floyd, but better, and they still all seem to get on!

Posted (edited)

Radiohead are on my list of bands that are critically acclaimed but are, in my very humble opinion, shite but did do one good track.  Some other bands on that list are The Smiths, Led Zeppelin, U2, there are others but I can't recall them at the mo.

in case you are interested the track is Street Spirit.  For the others mentioned they are How Soon Is Now, Kashmir, and Where The Streets Have No Name.

Edited by Eiszeit

I must admit to being a bit of a Radiohead fan! I've only seen them once live and it wasn't great but that was because they played mostly new tracks that I didn't know. The night before they played mostly back catalogue stuff..

I listen to Radiohead quite a bit, I couldn't say which is my favourite, they are all so different but great too! Nude is a great track :)

On 24/05/2019 at 22:50, Eiszeit said:

Radiohead are on my list of bands that are critically acclaimed but are, in my very humble opinion, shite but did do one good track.  Some other bands on that list are The Smiths, Led Zeppelin, U2, there are others but I can't recall them at the mo.

in case you are interested the track is Street Spirit.  For the others mentioned they are How Soon Is Now, Kashmir, and Where The Streets Have No Name.

I have some agreement with this post, but would not include Zep in the list.

Posted (edited)
On 24/05/2019 at 22:50, Eiszeit said:

Not as shite as some of the awful effing mince that seems to have crawled out of the last decade or so's vacuum.
Thanks so much for the enlightenment.

Edited by Von Krolock