Essy

Tannoy 12" red Corner Chatsworth?

Being honest they woud need a full rebuild , Foams / Cones wiring cross over  unts as they are 60 odd years old and need to be revived / Given a new lease of life 

Other than polishing with a good wax and possibly sponging down the grill covers with a damp cloth,  if you don't want to reduce their value, then leave them alone.   The driver units don't have a foam surround and the cross-over units should still be ok.

Find an amp to play them but note they are 16ohm impedance.  As they have been stood for a long time (hopefully in a dry place) you will find that after a couple of weeks they will have just got better and better.

Enjoy; you have a super pair of speakers.

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Audio Al said:

Being honest they woud need a full rebuild , Foams / Cones wiring cross over  unts as they are 60 odd years old and need to be revived / Given a new lease of life 

Well, they won't need refoamed as foam surrounds didn't arrive 'til 15 years later. The cones, we can't see the front of the drivers but even allowing for the very small glimpse of the rear of the cones...they look no bad. Replacing crossovers (or parts of crossovers) is always a good idea but may only need new caps, if at al. Still, not very expensive updates.

I'd suggest contacting Mainly tannoy...https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/mainlytannoy/

they're very good and the owner is very knowledgeable on all things Tannoy.

Edited by locheeboy

Thank you all for the replies. All have been really helpful.

They have been up and running for the last 3 years or so but only with a fairly cheap Onkyo AV amp. I'm still on the fence if to sell or keep. If they needed much work I wouldn't be able to justify keeping them if it was more than a few hundred pounds of repairs :/

This all did push me into trying them with a better amp first before deciding and a friend is bringing his Arcam (do not know the model) over to see if there is a discernable difference between that and the Onkyo.

I will, of course, report back and let you know if they sound better (Not that they sound bad at the moment to me).

• Like 1

So, update.

My friend came around with his amp - (Arcam - A75) - We plugged it in and the Tannoys did see to have a little more impact. My front room doesn't really have space to turn them up too much and I was still using a connection to a computer for the sound source so if I am being honest I couldn't really hear that much difference in quality it just sounded a bit tighter. 

My friend reckoned I would need a bigger room to get the best out of them as I don't really have anywhere I can put them that is not next to a wall and look at getting a DAC if I wanted to keep using the computer as the source. I think I was hoping that the difference would be so much more but perhaps I simply do not have the ears to appreciate the differences. 

This has if anything confused me more. whilst I really like having these speakers, I don't think I can really justify keeping them and therefore am edging towards passing them on. i have had a few messages with recommendations of people to talk to and I will follow these up over the week but, how on earth do I go about valuing them? has anyone seen similar sold and if so for how much?

like all these things in an ideal world, I would just keep them, restore and match the rest of the equipment to get the most out of having these. I guess however that ultimately it's going to come down to the finances :/

Once again thank you all for your input.

These are rare and worth good money. I would suggest if you go down the selling route that you consider opening yourself to the Japanese market. They will be in big demand and original and unrestored would probably be preferred. Of course shipping would be a massive PITA, but if you eBayed them you could indicate collection only - many Asian dealers seem to have contacts who can sort their own shipping out. That's what I'd do anyway if I was selling. Have fun!

Posted (edited)

I owned an identical looking pair a few years ago, bought locally via an advert in the local paper! Early drivers with the orange dustcaps, allegedly the same cones as used in the Silvers.

The cabinets look lovely but they don't do the drivers any favours, being made of very thin and lightweight materials. As an experiment I put the drivers from mine in some 70's Tannoy Devon cabinets and they definitely sounded a little better in those. 

At the time of buying my pair I already owned a pair of 12" Golds (RS) and quite simply I preferred the Golds by a hefty margin. This did surprise me a bit as the earlier Tannoy drivers are so sought after that I'd expected them to be pretty special. Perhaps the years had taken their toll, I don't know.....

So anyway I lobbed the Corner Chatsworths on ebay and off they went to Japan for £2.4k (2011). However yours have family history and they are really rare and desirable things, so you might want to think twice before cashing in on them. If I were to have mine back then I'd be using a small valve amp to drive them, maybe a little el84 affair. 

Edited by calorgas
  • Upvote 1

Rather than worrying about whether you noticed a significant improvement with a different amp, the bottom line has to be do you enjoy the sound of the speakers or not? If not, sell them.

Speakers generslly have a much bigger effect on the sound than amps BTW, so the fact you didn't notice a huge improvement isn't that surprising. 

If you did want to go down the DAC route bear in mind this doesn't have to be hugely expensive. Consider a Topping D10 for example.