Posted (edited)

Hello.

There is room for Linn DS users here!  Thank you to the HFW staff. :-)

I have been using Linn Klimax DS/0 for a long time. 

I had no interest in upgrading so I did not know that Katalyst(DS/3) was released, but I came across the retailer by chance.

The sound quality of New Katalyst (Klimax DS/3) was amazing. I'm probably going to upgrade in a month or two.

However, after I met a friend who lives in Japan, 

I was surprised to hear that the Linn Klimax DS/3 will no longer be produced from 2019. 

(The product is still being sold, but production has been terminated.)

I also heard that the Klimax DS/3 is discontinued and only DSM (& New Hub) is produced. 

Frankly I was very surprised. 

DS and DSM are completely different devices. Moreover It is no longer possible to upgrade DS to DSM.

Retailer or distributor who demonstrated Katalyst in my country did not tell me at all.  :-(

So will DS/3 not be able to upgrade like the previous series? No more cost effective upgrade?

I had already contacted Linn, but the answer was that DS/3 was still on sale.

I understand. Any more answers would be hard.

I was pleased with the Klimax DS/0 for a long time because I thought that in addition to sound quality,

Linn would continue to upgrade the flagship device.

The ability to upgrade, like the LP12, gave me the belief that this device will always stay with me and play music.

Like the legendary CD12, I do not think the Klimax DS will last forever, but I hope that Linn will continue to upgrade.

I would like to hear from members about this.

If you have heard about the future of the Klimax DS/3 in Linn (even if it is not official), I hope you will share it.

Edited by Do Kim

Hi Do Kim

The DS series have been discontinued. I am surprised you say they can still be bought new.

The February price list does list the DS to DSM conversions, but it is possible the latest one doesn't. I have yet to see a newer one though.

Same goes for DS upgrades to the latest spec (3 for Klimax). So any further upgrades will not be offered fpor the simple reason there will not be anything to upgrade it to!

The same is true for Akurate as for Klimax.

Availability of conversions and upgrades may be region dependent of course. But the DS is no more, and has been as of last year in fact.

Posted (edited)

Thank you for your response. timster

Retailers are still on sale at fixed prices. Even prices are slightly higher than in the UK.

I was surprised that there was already a story about discontinuation of the DS series last year.

There was no mention from a Korean distributor.

The DS -> DSM conversion service has already ended in Korea last summer.

I can accept different conversion or upgrade services depending on the region.

But I was really disappointed if the distributor did not mention the discontinued information for sale.

Listening to you, I wonder if I should upgrade to DS/3.

If DS products can not be upgraded anymore, I wonder if I will be able to use them satisfactorily in the future.

The Linn DS series is a device that has announced the start of network audio and I think it's always the top class in the field.

In addition to sound quality, I had some satisfaction with this part.

I was always looking forward to upgrading to the latest version of DS ... even when using DS/0, which I did not even upgrade.

Now, that expectation & satisfaction are gone away.

DS series were released in 2007 and has been on sale for over 10 years.

Discontinuance is understandable enough. But still, I can not help being disappointed with the behavior of distributor in Korea.

DS/0 is still playing beautiful music on my side.

It has been rare for me to use the same device for a long time in the audio world, and I have enjoyed that luck.

I hope that the DS series will survive for a long time in the world of streaming audio, where DS has been discontinued.

Edited by Do Kim
Readability

I too am intrigued at Linn’s decision to end the DS line, but then again a dealer told me some time back that he’d not sold a DS for a long time, only DSMs.

I’ve never directly compared KDS to KDSM, but some who have, have said the vanilla DS is better. Seems odd that Linn would stop production of possibly their best sounding digital source, given its flagship status, especially as I understand a lot of the construction involved is performed by machine (CNC milling of the case, production of the board). Surely it would just be a matter of keeping a few CAD type files on a server somewhere, although I guess that would also involve having dealers buy a dem item too, and if they’re not selling DS boxes, well...

For some folk, a DS is the only Linn item they use, so that path has been cut off. Personally, I have no regrets about owning one at all. The KDS/3 is a fine piece of kit, and won’t become less so now production has ended.

Mick

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Do Kim said:

The DS -> DSM conversion service has already ended in Korea last summer.

It also disappeared here for a while. But it reappeared in October last year. Rumour has it that although it's still listed here in the February price list, it actually isn't offered any more.

There doesn't seem to be an absolute truth.

3 hours ago, Do Kim said:

If DS products can not be upgraded anymore, I wonder if I will be able to use them satisfactorily in the future.

Not hardware, but you will still get updates to the firmware as and when new features appear.

I think Linn’s decision seems to be part of a trend to incorporate preamps and streamers into a ‘digital preamplifier’. Cambridge Audio have taken the same decision with their flagship ‘Edge’ series, and I don’t think they’ll be the last.

I would imagine that there are technical advantages to incorporating the two in one unit, and it would appear that Linn have used that justification (among others) to cease separate DS production.

However, as has been already pointed out, it sort of makes Linn a fully end-to-end ‘system’ purchase now, especially with Exakt and the days of just buying stand-alone components from Linn seem to be almost finished.

22 minutes ago, kelly200269 said:

However, as has been already pointed out, it sort of makes Linn a fully end-to-end ‘system’ purchase now, especially with Exakt and the days of just buying stand-alone components from Linn seem to be almost finished.

That's not really the way I see it. I think that Linn are still trying to cover the 'end-to-end' and separates markets, but they are allowing gaps to aris in the 'separates' range where there are technical or marketing reasons for doing so.

You can still buy separate Linn speakers and amplifiers, and of course the LP12. You can no longer buy separated Linn FM tuners, CD players and streamers. There is a good range of streamer/pre-amplifiers, with and without built in power amplification, which can be used with components from other manufacturers (a point that Linn was anxious to emphasise at the Selekt launch events). And you cannot buy a Linn end-to-end system that does not incorporate a streamer.

David

2 hours ago, MickC said:

I too am intrigued at Linn’s decision to end the DS line, but then again a dealer told me some time back that he’d not sold a DS for a long time, only DSMs.

I don't own any Linn items, but when I was examining the units, a DSM made sense. A DS did not.

I think the DSM is quite unique in that most of us in the UK don't have US-sized houses to put a 5.1 system in, unless we use tiny speakers hooked up to a dedicated AV receiver - which then doesn't sound as good as stereo from our main system. As such, I believe I am not alone in having high end speakers that I couldn't possibly afford in a 5.1 solution, so opt for movie watching in stereo. However, since all HD movie equipment will use HDMI somewhere, the DSM units are a perfect hub for HDMI inputs into a 2-channel system from which to get great sound and not have to bother with a separate AV receiver and speakers.

It's the one major plus that I think other brands haven't gotten around to thinking about yet. Bryston's BDA-3 DAC has many HDMI inputs, so it may be the exception. 

I don't know of any other brand with a streaming DAC product that works as a system hub - they are all pure stereo hifi based and don't consider that plenty of modern sources are HDMI out only.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, kelly200269 said:

I think Linn’s decision seems to be part of a trend to incorporate preamps and streamers into a ‘digital preamplifier’.

I partially agree with you. The trend is the integration of the source device and preamplifier, and I think DSM is here.

However, I think that the Klimax DS has a volume control function,  even though it has no input, so it can be operated as a 'digital preamp'  Ha ha

5 hours ago, MickC said:

I’ve never directly compared KDS to KDSM, but some who have, have said the vanilla DS is better. Seems odd that Linn would stop production of possibly their best sounding digital source, given its flagship status.

I have compared it in a retail store in Korea. I remember the speaker at that time as Wilson Sasha. Everyone who was there together felt DS sound quality was slightly better than DSM . I even felt there was no difference when I compared DSM and DS volume control functions. The only thing missing from DS was the one that does not have input terminal.

41 minutes ago, Do Kim said:

I partially agree with you. The trend is the integration of the source device and preamplifier, and I think DSM is here.

However, I think that the Klimax DS has a volume control function,  even though it has no input, so it can be operated as a 'digital preamp'  Ha ha

That’s how I’m using mine. The DS provides streaming from locally ripped files, Qobuz and internet radio, and as I have Urika II, the LP12 too. The output from the DS goes straight to the power amps.

Mick