Recommended Posts

So, with our new house we inherited a 3.5x4mtrs summer house, it's a little bit more than useless as a room for me to do my thing in.

So, my wife agrees that we need a 7x5 hard standing putting down the bottom of the garden and I can build on this for a home cinema and hifi room.

Now, excuse me if I've missed other similar threads but I have a few questions I would like to ask, and maybe strike a discussion!

1, Is there a specific company people have used for such rooms?

2, A normal "summer house" affair is way to thin, leaks sound and is just no good. What sort of spec's am I looking to be quoted for to keep my sound in, keeping neighbours happy and keeping their noise out I suppose.

3, Who's been through this and done it before? What did you learn?

I'd appreciate any help, it's not something I've done before and would really like not to have to do it twice.

Many thanks,

Carl <3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get a good sound engineer in, someone local, to deal with room size and room treatment. Input at this stage is money saved and results achieved.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't forget to factor in ventilation and a good heating system .. cold and humid conditions leads to condensation and ruination of delicate electrical equipment .. again a sound engineer used to setting up small recording studios in such buildings will advise.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Carl, I built a man cave for my drum kit which is vaguely similar so have some experience of going through the thought process, there's a build thread on it over on the screwfix forums, see here https://community.screwfix.com/threads/die-lorelei-2017.187656/page-7

The cabin is 44mm interlocking timber from skinners sheds with insulation and power etc. Not sure how good it would be in keeping the sound out, but its pretty good at keeping the sound from escaping. One annoying thing is that acorns from the overhanging oak trees do make quite a noise as they hit the flatish roof.

I did the complete build myself, happy to answer any questions. One recommendation I have if you're thinking of doing this kind of thing is NOT to put a concrete slab down. A slab is much more likely to collect water, not dry out and simply rot the foundation timbers. My cabin is on a timber subframe with plenty of air underneath.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as room dimensions are concerned this is an interesting page

https://www.psaudio.com/room-calculator/

Paul (the CEO of PS Audio) has lots of advice on his youtube channels about design  of the room etc, like not having any of the walls parellel to each other, not having normal corners etc. You will just have to find the relevent videos amongst the other stuff.

https://www.psaudio.com/ask-paul/

I know Paul can divide opinion, think objective/subjective or cables for instance, but he is always interesting to listen to and knowledgeable.

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Bit Perfect said:

As far as room dimensions are concerned this is an interesting page

https://www.psaudio.com/room-calculator/

Paul (the CEO of PS Audio) has lots of advice on his youtube channels about design  of the room etc, like not having any of the walls parellel to each other, not having normal corners etc. You will just have to find the relevent videos amongst the other stuff.

https://www.psaudio.com/ask-paul/

I know Paul can divide opinion, think objective/subjective or cables for instance, but he is always interesting to listen to and knowledgeable.

I second that, very informative as regards room treatment, design and Hi-Fi info in general.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think 30m2 max without planing permission.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also height restrictions will apply.....I did look into it a few years ago ...but it did get expensive if done properly........so I decided against it .....but absorb all the relative  info and go for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bodgit said:

Hi Carl, I built a man cave for my drum kit which is vaguely similar so have some experience of going through the thought process, there's a build thread on it over on the screwfix forums, see here https://community.screwfix.com/threads/die-lorelei-2017.187656/page-7

Fantastic build :^  Nice kit too. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, deggie said:

Also height restrictions will apply.....I did look into it a few years ago ...but it did get expensive if done properly........so I decided against it .....but absorb all the relative  info and go for it.

Indeed. 2.5m ridge height for a standard man cave close to the boundary, planning permission is required if over 30m2, and there are some building regs that apply if over 15m2 like must be more than 1m from the boundary unless built from non-combustible material.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Planning advice from a hifi forum is wonderful but possibly not 'the whole truth'.
I respectfully suggest asking your local planning officer if you're concerned, I have always found them remarkably helpful and forthcoming with advice when they are dealing with an evidently honest enquiry (possibly a rare occurrence). YMMV, IMHO etc

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Op ,end of the garden you say ? Don’t bother , I struggle to walk to my cinema room some nights without having to get dressed :|

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Sumdumgi said:
13 hours ago, Bodgit said:

Hi Carl, I built a man cave for my drum kit which is vaguely similar so have some experience of going through the thought process, there's a build thread on it over on the screwfix forums, see here https://community.screwfix.com/threads/die-lorelei-2017.187656/page-7

Fantastic build :^  Nice kit too. 

I see the tape on the drums - in my playing days I got O rings for each drum .  I then got to making my own from old skins (or cheapo ones) of different widths depending on how much damping you want to achieve.  https://www.gear4music.com/Drums-and-Percussion/Evans-E-Rings-Standard-Rock-Pack/DHD?origin=product-ads&amp;campaign=PLA+Shop+-+GENERIC&amp;adgroup=GENERIC&amp;medium=vertical_search&amp;network=google&amp;merchant_id=1279443&amp;product_id=17473d1&amp;product_country=GB&amp;product_partition_id=127281947359&amp;gclid=CjwKCAjwycfkBRAFEiwAnLX5IZaycgSbFG2_Z4RcfHQTcH8YgJlOSG6Db5i6w614VTIB31Q5-930vxoCWwAQAvD_BwE Just thought I would share that with you :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some very good timber sheds and garages around these days.  IF you have a solid base ensure it slopes very slightly for water to run off.  My parents built their garden shed on a base of stones, say 45 years ago, its still there. The soil was stony, still is, every stone came from where they dug and planted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.