Sign in to follow this  
bohemian

The Grand Wazoo

I find the title track on this album quite confusing. I love Hot Rats and Waka Jawaka, and the rest of The Grand Wazoo, but I just find this track somewhat bewildering.

Any Zappa experts out there who can offer me any help with this track?

Posted (edited)

Perhaps this might help a little.

https://www.allmusic.com/album/the-grand-wazoo-mw000019258

Particularly this.

http://www.cloudsandclocks.net/CD_reviews/zappamoth_tgw_E.html

The long The Grand Wazoo follows. It opens with a fine solo by Zappa on semi-acoustic guitar through a wha-wha pedal. Massive winds, a theme that stays in one's mind long after the record is over, some rock-blues, and an appropriately nasal slide guitar solo by Tony Duran. A written part that ends abruptly gives way to two fine solos: by Bill Byers on trombone, and by Sal Marquez on muted trumpet. Listen to those different languages - more "traditional", and Be-Bop, the one spoken by Byers; more "modern", and acerbic, the one spoken by Marquez - and listen to the way Zappa the arranger creates the most appropriate framework to better highlight each one, coupling a more measured performance by Dunbar with Byers solo, and a more "modern", agile, "dry" performance with Marquez's solo. Back to the theme, then it's time for a brief Mini-Moog solo - here Don Preston seems to channel Jimmy Smith's Hammond, but with... tuning problems - a final push by trombones, close.”

Edited by jkbmusic

Thanks, Jeff.  They seem to indicate that "For Calvin..." is the first track and "The Grand Wazoo" follows it, but it is the other way around on my copy. 

I will use the information on those sites as a listening guide when I play the track again tomorrow and see if I make more sense of it this time!

Appreciate the links very much.  Zappateers forum was far less helpful!

9 hours ago, bohemian said:

Thanks, Jeff.  They seem to indicate that "For Calvin..." is the first track and "The Grand Wazoo" follows it, but it is the other way around on my copy. 

I will use the information on those sites as a listening guide when I play the track again tomorrow and see if I make more sense of it this time!

Appreciate the links very much.  Zappateers forum was far less helpful!

As you have discovered, there are at least two versions of the album, but as for making sense of any of Zappa’s compositions, you’ll be the first :D.

Super Wammer

I played Bobby Brown Goes Down on Sunday and there were loud guffaws from the inmates. I, of course, apologised for the language but I don't reckon anyone was offended! I also don't think that particular track needs any explanation. (Except for who Freddie might be......)

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Ed Howarth said:

I played Bobby Brown Goes Down on Sunday and there were loud guffaws from the inmates. I, of course, apologised for the language but I don't reckon anyone was offended! I also don't think that particular track needs any explanation. (Except for who Freddie might be......)

I think some of Frank's music might even qualify for the classical section next year at Kegworth, but not Bobby Brown - that's for sure!

Super Wammer
2 hours ago, bohemian said:

I think some of Frank's music might even qualify for the classical section next year at Kegworth, but not Bobby Brown - that's for sure!

I am way ahead of you :D