TILTNTURN

FREE £? STD 305D Sme Series 111s

Recommended Posts

Looking for some advice from those who know on here .

Ive been told to thin out my hifi and mainly my Turntables of which I have 7 .

First one to go will be my STD305D with SME series 111s black nitride Ca1 wand . 

No original packing but deck and arm are in superb condition considering there 40 years young .

Not sure  whether to separate the sme from Deck and sell separately and fit another arm to deck or just sell as one unit .

Main reason I ask is that Id think the SME would be of more interest than the underrated STD.

Any thoughts?

IMG_20190318_154250.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

Hi can I suggest that is not really in the right area Spirit of the Wam is mainly reserved for those giving away equipment free or for a small charity donation which I do not think you intend to do with this. Perhaps ask a moderator to switch this over to the 2 channel thread were you will get more advice.

From my perspective I would certainly agree with you that splitting the arm will make more money as for many the SME arm is desirable . The STD turntable in my view is a top class performer and would be much better served with a better sounding arm than the SME but most people will probably not agree . An original Mission 774 arm with the thin wand will sound superb as it is combination I used to have many years ago when I still used Vinyl . If you do split the items and you have a problem selling the STD drop me a PM as provided it was at a bargain price i think I would buy one just for the nostalgia . But I think you will have no trouble getting a buyer for the STD as I know there are others that know what a good TT it really is .

Edited by bencat
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent decks, I've had a couple of versions of it.  No need to separate deck and arm, although you might get a few bob more if you do, equally you might not. Advertise it and see.

I might be interested if the price is right, especially the deck, they arent worth a lot so might be the best sound per pound out there ??

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderator

Moved to 2 channel.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/03/2019 at 23:07, bencat said:

Hi can I suggest that is not really in the right area Spirit of the Wam is mainly reserved for those giving away equipment free or for a small charity donation which I do not think you intend to do with this. Perhaps ask a moderator to switch this over to the 2 channel thread were you will get more advice.

From my perspective I would certainly agree with you that splitting the arm will make more money as for many the SME arm is desirable . The STD turntable in my view is a top class performer and would be much better served with a better sounding arm than the SME but most people will probably not agree . An original Mission 774 arm with the thin wand will sound superb as it is combination I used to have many years ago when I still used Vinyl . If you do split the items and you have a problem selling the STD drop me a PM as provided it was at a bargain price i think I would buy one just for the nostalgia . But I think you will have no trouble getting a buyer for the STD as I know there are others that know what a good TT it really is .

Thanks for that Bencat , Ive had many inc the 305m and yes I agree it is a great deck and at the factory we did test it up against the Linn fitted with a Syrinx PU2 std had the SME and did a blind listening test and 3 out of 4 of us preferred it  I was sold one new for £50 from the factory .

I appreciate times have moved on and the LP12 is a very diff beast now but Chris Franklands retraction way back kind of killed it off when he changed his mind from preferring the STD  to then Preferring the LP12  .

I have heard one with an Audio Mods 5 on it and it was amazing . Anyways . I have this one for nostalgia and Certainly will not be giving it away cheap id be looking for £300 for it minus arm  .   I have now removed SME from it and fitted a Rega . Does sound better to my old ears . F

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/03/2019 at 21:20, TILTNTURN said:

Not sure  whether to separate the sme from Deck and sell separately and fit another arm to deck or just sell as one unit .

Personal view is - separate them as the SME is likely to fetch over £200 on its own whereas as a combined unit the price will probably not be a lot different.

Checking ebay the 305 tends to sell in the £100 to £150 region as most punters out there do not seem to realise it is the equal of most of the competition (Linn, Thorens, Heybrook, Systemdek etc.).  If it is sold with an arm it does not seem to add much to the end price (Probably because punters for this type of turntable have an arm or their thoughts on what arm they want to put  on it.

Good luck in the sale and it might be worth putting it on Gumtree and Preloved as well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks . Last 305D I saw sell on Ubay went for £325 . I appreciate the M  may sell for a bit less . I stuck the SME on UBAY and it sold 2 hrs later for £295 .

I now fitted a Rega arm to the STD and an AT 12E with new stylus just to make it a plug an play I guess. 

Anyways , many thanks for the comments and thoughts . F.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/03/2019 at 13:33, TILTNTURN said:

Thanks . Last 305D I saw sell on Ubay went for £325 . I appreciate the M  may sell for a bit less . I stuck the SME on UBAY and it sold 2 hrs later for £295 .

One sold today (a Minter) for £95 .. so good luck with the TT but you were wise to sell them separately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine Sold on AudioMart for £310 minus arm to a chap from Germany .

Had loads of interest on it at that price .

https://www.ukaudiomart.com/details/649512295-rare-stunning-std-305d-turntable-and-rega-tonearm/#replies

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well done - great result 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.