Super Wammer
6 minutes ago, bohemian said:

A huge thank you to all those who took the risk of playing my Captain Beefheart Cd on their hifis. In spite of Lurch's response to my saying I could’nt wait to hear it through the Ushers (You'll wait a bl**dy long time!) I did manage it finally when he was absent!  It really sounded great too, I loved the sound of that system.

Ahh, I did say it with a smile in my voice  Chris, and only because I knew it was definitely to my co-pilots taste, and he would play it for you when I buggered off.

Talking of co-pilots, cheeky sod looked through my LPs & CDs then asked if I'd forgotten to bring some music as these were obviously intended for the charity table. 👿👿

• Haha 1

Yep to all the comments above.......nice to mingle and meet up with warmers of old,......nice to meet up with again

Keith mf1000 and listen to his latest active set up .......major effort on Keith's behalf to exhibit this,

my sean Costello track ..double trouble .....was played to perfection,.....returned towards the end and Keith treated me ,as a 

known whisky lover to a tot of his prized malts .......oh my word ..as I gently cradled the glass and breathed in the aroma before 

tasting ........I was in heaven it was utterly gorgeous and the music too......just bliss ...thanks Keith.

Cracking show .

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer
7 hours ago, AlmaAtaKZ said:

Have we met?

Now, please tell me if we met! Apart from a few exceptions (BanditPilot, Tony J, SonyGuy, HapHazzard, Lurch, Bazzer, NoPiano, Bobovox, Knipester, Steve57, Darius) it is all a complete blur in terms of trying to connect the faces with names and nicknames. So, if we met, can you please remind me how so I can try to place you?

Yes, we met. You spent quite a bit of time with us in the room with the blue speakers.

I only managed about 5 mins in your room when you were playing the little white desktop speakers which were great fun and the the "big" speakers on their fantastic "made in Kegworth" stands :)

7 hours ago, AlmaAtaKZ said:

Here are my main impressions, as a newbie solo exhibitor -

Exhibiting is very different to just visiting - not much time to see other systems, unfortunately. Even with most of Sat being free (I finished set up by about 1.30pm) you cannot see much as most systems do not get finished until much later, or doors are closed as they are helping others etc. As I was not in the brochure I was worried nobody will come to my room so wallpapered the vicinity of the room in posters. Managed to talk to TonyJ, HapHazzard, The Sony Guy, Steve 57, the guys in the other two big rooms (not the electro-stats), couple more guys, listened to some headphones, and had a few visitors all of whom were really nice people. Made the speaker stands and went to bed at about 2.30.

The show day

The flow of visitors starts almost instantly after 10am and never stops. I was told there was a queue to the room for part of the day.

·         90% of people cannot answer the question ‘what music do you like’. People that can are weirdos

·         Many people said this exact phrase: ‘these small ones do not have the right to sound that’, pointing the B&W MM1s. Most said another similar phrase about the three speakers in general

·         About 5% of people left the room quickly (and politely)

·         A few people stayed for 30min or more. A few returned, some more than once (?). Most spent 10-15 min going through my ‘demo’ sequence which was 3-4 of my tracks + visitor's own choice.

·         90% of people liked/were surprised with the MM1s. 60% of people liked the AVIs, 10% of people disliked them. 20% of people liked the Genelecs.

·         5-10% of people asked if there was a sub hidden in the room

·         People who talk/argue while others are listening can be allowed into the room but need to listen from the bathroom (door closed)

·         If you are solo, there is no time to eat, drink or go to the bathroom, not to mention visiting other rooms

Then at abt 3pm the flow just stops. It took me about 40min to breakdown, pack and make good the room.

The 2 teenagers

One of my biggest likes from the show day was the visit from 2 teenagers. I think they came with their exhibiting or visiting father, not sure. I saw them just after 10am looking lost and shy in the corridor, so I invited them in. I had no idea what kind of music they may like and they were very shy to say, so I just played my usual. I think they liked it and spent at least 30min listening with interest. I really liked them, and I really liked the fact that there were teenagers at the show. We are a dying breed, so need young people in the hobby! Then to my surprise, a couple of hours later they came back, and this time stayed for even longer. They were really nice and showed interest in discovering new music. I think this was one of the most important impressions (and hopes!) from the show – the lack (but not complete lack) of the next generations at the show.  I would love to find out who they are.

The Sony Guy

My other big impression came from my room neighbour, The Sony Guy. I just finished setting up and walked into his room to see him puzzled over something. Turned out he needed an extra cable which I happened to have so he was relieved and after getting sorted he showed me around. I was very surprised to find a complete top range quadrophonic dream system from the 70s. Not only it was interesting because I have never heard quadrophonic (it was one of these unattainable things I heard about in my youth time), but it also was all original, complete and in pristine working and cosmetic condition. This set must be 50 years old now, so will turn 60 soon which I believe will officially qualify it as ‘antique’. I think it is unique in its state of completeness and preservation and I could easily see it displayed in the Design Museum or Science Museum. It was absolutely amazing to see that set up! The Sony Guy himself is also passionate about his music and the whole hifi thing in general. Thanks for the beer, too!

The headphone heaven

Another amazing surprise was when I walked into the ‘headphone heaven’ room. I am a big fan of high quality sound and one of the options of getting it is using high performance headphones. So when I saw a whole table full of top-range magneplanar headsets with amps and all - not from a dealer, but from a private collection of a young guy! - my jaw dropped. Not only the guy knows and has it all, he is happy to show it to others! Thanks a lot!

The D&D and the ‘modern’ thing

The single specific product that I wanted to see at the show were the D&D speakers. And I was not disappointed. Powerful, clean sound, room tamed. Compact and modern.

This is where I want to digress into the whole ‘modern’ thing. I do love the ‘traditional’ hifi, but as an owner and an affectionado I intend to keep at the front end of it in terms of acoustic engineering and electronics technology. And this is in the things like the D&D, Grimm Audio, Kii3, Smyth Realiser or simply modern AV receivers or multiroom wireless systems that the technology is advancing. Would love to see this stuff embraced by future exhibitors. Although this stuff is much more likely to be found at the commercial shows as they are current products.   

The electrostats (and the others I did not see)

There was a lot of stuff that I did not see because I did not need to see it. For example, the Quad electrostatics. I know they sound absolutely fantastic, so I did not go to see them. I only tried to see what I did not know, given the limited time of an exhibitor.

The big systems

The things that never stops to amaze me is all the big systems people manage to bring. As a dweller of a small flat this is not something I can have, not to mention bringing it all and DIY making (!) this stuff to the show. I hope one day I can indulge in this.

The DIY actives

The other big interest for me were all the DIY actives as I am very attracted to making some myself one day. Not sure if I saw all the systems but all I saw were very interesting, sounded great and the owners were very nice knowledgeable people who I would love to learn from.

The Comradery

This is absolutely special.

So, thank you to the organisers, visitors and all the exhibiting nutters that we are! As I said before, this is a unique event not found anywhere else, I believe.

Have we met?

Now, please tell me if we met! Apart from a few exceptions (BanditPilot, Tony J, SonyGuy, HapHazzard, Lurch, Bazzer, NoPiano, Bobovox, Knipester, Steve57, Darius) it is all a complete blur in terms of trying to connect the faces with names and nicknames. So, if we met, can you please remind me how so I can try to place you?

We met...late Saturday night had a fairly exhaustive comparison of your three systems....you were finishing off your stands.

35 minutes ago, sunbeamgls said:

Yes, we met. You spent quite a bit of time with us in the room with the blue speakers.

I only managed about 5 mins in your room when you were playing the little white desktop speakers which were great fun and the the "big" speakers on their fantastic "made in Kegworth" stands :)

Yes, definately remember that! Have the rather special speakers sold?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ff1d1l said:

We met...late Saturday night had a fairly exhaustive comparison of your three systems....you were finishing off your stands.

Yes, I remember greeting one of my guest with my back side! Trying to finish squeezing the epoxy out before it went hard :-)

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, AlmaAtaKZ said:

Yes, I remember greeting one of my guest with my back side! Trying to finish squeezing the epoxy out before it went hard :-)

That's one way to describe it...:dunno:

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I did not realise how that reads! I was gluing the stands!

:doh:

Edited by AlmaAtaKZ
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, AlmaAtaKZ said:

I did not realise how that reads! I was gluing the stands!

:doh:

I'm very broadminded...

Posted (edited)

I would like to say massive thank you to every one who visited my little headphone corner (room 21) and especially to all of those  lovely people who said that are not interested in headphones at all but were persuaded to stay and try ;] Had some very interesting discussions and learned a fair bit. :D 

Edited by ithilstone
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I for one was astonished at how good the sound was being radiod from AlmaAtaKZs phone to whatever speakers were in use.  

I think this is the way of the future, its all going to get very small and sound quite decent, and the prices will be peanuts, only the dedicated will ever know what real kit can do.

Yes the Quads driven by valve amps were better, but they dont exactly fit into a carrier bag

AlmaAtaKZ

tell us how it all works.

Super Wammer
7 hours ago, bohemian said:

It certainly was a great show. Bohemia and I met loads of nice people and talked music and HiFi for hours and listened to some wonderful systems, large and small.

we are impressed at the amount of work done by the exhibitors to set up such great systems, and play great music. Lots of new music (to me) and old favourites. The Elvis Presley track "Fever" seemed to be played and enjoyed a lot!

A huge thank you to all those who took the risk of playing my Captain Beefheart Cd on their hifis. In spite of Lurch's response to my saying I could’nt wait to hear it through the Ushers (You'll wait a bl**dy long time!) I did manage it finally when he was absent!  It really sounded great too, I loved the sound of that system.

Bohemia and I are inspired by the show to consider seriously the prospect of being exhibitionists next year with a 'suitcase system', although the prospect of room alterations is frightening. I hope we may enlist the help of strong men.

we are looking forward already to next year. By the way, what a way to end the weekend with the curry night!  Great fun, great food, great company - what more could one wish?

Chris

I promise if you are brave and decide to exhibt all you have to do is find whatever room I am in and I will round up a whole posse of helpers to make sure your transit in to your room is as easy as possible . You have been so kind in visiting not just my room but all of them and it is for visitors like you that we do this . I will treasure the Fever Track and trust me on Friday that is going to be blasting out on my Quad ESL 57,s on Friday . I even promise to put my views in 2 Channel later on Friday .

One for you to have a look out for is Chris Issak , Youve been a Bad Bad boy sounds truly wonderful for me at least the louder the better.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ithilstone said:

I would like to say massive thank you to every one who visited my little headphone corner (room 21) and especially to all of those  lovely people who said that are not interested in headphones at all but were persuaded to stay and try ;] Had some very interesting discussions and learned a fair bit. :D 

I had a very enjoyable time listening to a number of different headphones and learnt a lot in a short time. Many thanks Tom.

@bencat That is very kind of you, Andrew. I appreciate it very much.

I will look out for that track you mention. 

10 minutes ago, bencat said:

I will treasure the Fever Track

7 hours ago, bohemian said:

The Elvis Presley track "Fever" seemed to be played and enjoyed a lot!

Chris very kindly gave me the track also but in the heat of the show, I couldn't get the thing to play for some strange reason. However I sorted the issue when I got home, and I have to say it does sound superb :^