Tony_J

Suitcase Challenge - Results

Firstly, having spent a fascinating evening auditioning the suitcase systems (10 systems in total), the judging panel, myself and Ed Howarth have been greatly impressed both by the enthusiasm of the competitors for the challenge and the variety and quality of the suitcase systems that they have put together, some of which simply blew us away by what could be achieved in a compact format. 

Our thanks to all those that took part, and we would strongly recommend that visitors to the show get a listen to the suitcase systems on show tomorrow.

Needless to say, choosing the winners was not an easy task, but after much deliberation:

First prize, and a bottle of Arran Founders Reserve single malt went to Bobovox (Room 109).

Second prize went to AlmaAtaKZ (Room 12), but as he had donated the second prize, he told us to give it to the third-placed system.

Third prize of a bottle of Russian Vodka (courtesy of AlmaAtaKZ) went jointly to Brigadoon Senior and Junior (Room 110).

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

Great idea, great entries and a fantastic day so far. Totally support the winner being Bobovox - excellent sound!

His type of system is something I would like to attempt to make one day too.

Have fun tomorrow everyone!

Edited by AlmaAtaKZ
  • Like 1

Super Wammer

I concur with the judges decision and respect to all of those who entered a system it was indeed very good fun . As I had a main system as well I made the school boy error of not setting up my suit case system to its best and was then juged very fairly by Tony and Ed .

Next morning my main system blew both Quad amps and I was left with the choice of either closing the room and having a wander or what decided to do which was set the Suit Case system up and showed that as my main system . With speakrs on stand and everything set up the sound was transformed , I had hoped to get either Tony or Ed to give the system another listen , not to cahnge anything but just to show how good it really should have sounded. Sadly as for all of us in rooms the day was so busy it was just not possible but Congratulations to the winners , I heard most of the sytems and they all sounded very good indeed.

Perhaps with some alterations such  as you must have a main system as well as a suitcase system we can do this again next year ? (This stipulation is si that there is not just large numbers of rooms with little mini systems in but also for me in case i blow my main system again then i still have something to play) .

I think having a side theme (or two) for the shows is very good, particularly if they are 'challenges'. I shall start a thread looking for ideas for future challenges.

• Like 2

On ‎16‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 23:17, Tony_J said:

Firstly, having spent a fascinating evening auditioning the suitcase systems (10 systems in total), the judging panel, myself and Ed Howarth have been greatly impressed both by the enthusiasm of the competitors for the challenge and the variety and quality of the suitcase systems that they have put together, some of which simply blew us away by what could be achieved in a compact format. 

Our thanks to all those that took part, and we would strongly recommend that visitors to the show get a listen to the suitcase systems on show tomorrow.

Needless to say, choosing the winners was not an easy task, but after much deliberation:

First prize, and a bottle of Arran Founders Reserve single malt went to Bobovox (Room 109).

Second prize went to AlmaAtaKZ (Room 12), but as he had donated the second prize, he told us to give it to the third-placed system.

Third prize of a bottle of Russian Vodka (courtesy of AlmaAtaKZ) went jointly to Brigadoon Senior and Junior (Room 110).

It would be better if you actually said what the systems were, their strengths and weaknesses, and why you made the decision.

And a solution to the Brexit crisis.