The site will be out of service again for further upgrades regarding security fixes. Work will be carried out between 4.30am and 5.30am tomorrow morning. We apologise for the inconvenience.

Howard

Electrocompaniet ECI-2

Does anyone know if this runs in Class A up to a certain point? If so, at what point does it switch to Class B?

Not sure but there is nothing in the manual I can see to suggest it's anything other than pure Class A:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/599497/Electrocompaniet-Eci2.html?page=3#manual

Posted (edited)

70W for a 2 x 50W O/P into 8 Ohm does not suggest class A all the way to max output.

Edited by Howard

1 hour ago, Howard said:

70W for a 2 x 50W O/P into 8 Ohm does not suggest class A all the way to max output.

The specification says the 70 W power consumption figure is with 'no load or signal', so not what would be used if outputting 2x50W.

Posted (edited)

I believe that Class A amps draw full  current at idle. And the maximum theoretical efficiency is 50%, in reality probably much less. 

I have one of these amps, it doesn't get hot enough and it's not heavy enough for 50W Class A. There's no fan. I can touch it without burning my hands. It doesn't heat the room much in winter. 

Edited by Howard

On 16/03/2019 at 21:44, Howard said:

I believe that Class A amps draw full  current at idle. And the maximum theoretical efficiency is 50%, in reality probably much less. 

I have one of these amps, it doesn't get hot enough and it's not heavy enough for 50W Class A. There's no fan. I can touch it without burning my hands. It doesn't heat the room much in winter. 

Looking at the size of the heat sink - if this was a full class A amp then I would be surprised (it has less heat sink than a Sugden A21) .. also it says it does 100 watts into 2 ohms and again the amount of heat that would generate needs much more heat sink in my view.  In the absence of published specs I would suspect that it operates at class A into a limited number of watts and thereafter at class AB  (but I could be wrong) :shock:

On 17/03/2019 at 00:44, Howard said:

I would agree. I have a PS1200 AC power regenerator, which displays instantaneous power output. My 100 W class A amp, draws 505 W on start up. And it settles down to around 330 W. And irrespective of volume or amount of bass in the tracks, this doesn't fluctuate by more than 15W. So I think their power draw is constant, once their caps have been charged. 

• Like 1