plasticpenguin

Laskys and Tandy

Posted (edited)

Lasky's, Aiwa cassette deck, lasted many years.  Never Tandy, stuff really did fall apart...:dunno:

Edited by locheeboy

2 hours ago, Old Git said:

Pretty sure they did turntables too (Tandy - Realistic) Oh, and CDP’s.

Edit : And amps and speakers and cassette decks, pretty much everything really 🙂

I'm sure they did, although can't remember which ones.

The only speakers I can recall from Tandy and that was Jamo.

I don't remember buying any items of hifi from either, but I'm sure I've bits and bobs from them.  I always enjoyed the Lasky catalogue.

I remember Laskys. I think we may have bought something like a TV or VCR from there and I remember they seemed to advertise quite a bit?

I remember Tandy more clearly as it survived much longer although aside from buying the odd cable there, I never had much affinity for the place. Seemed to be full of cheap-looking "Realistic" brand stuff. The latter-day Maplin reminded me of what Tandy was like back in the day. In fact, the practice they both had of asking you for your name and address when buying anything used to irritate me.

My brother used to enjoy how, when going in there with his school friend (in the days before post-code driven databases) his friend's father used to give "1 Knox Road" as his address. This is basically the site of HMP Cardiff! Not that the hapless sales assistants ever seemed to twig :D

Goodness, yes, Laskys in Nottingham. An Audiotronic amp, Later a Yamaha CA510, Celestion Ditton 15xr (tweeters kept blowing !), Garrard 86SB TT, a pioneer tuner and a cassette deck I can't recall the make of. To think of all the unloved valve amplification I could have bought at the time !
Underneath Nottingham city council ;-)

Sent from my BND-L21 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer

Not forgetting Rumbelows of course...

2 hours ago, dave said:

Genexxa lx5's from Tandy's in Letchworth, still got them, the best speakers with a bit of tweaking, and there was a franchise in Hitchin, called Kotecha giftronics..... 

Tandy's in Letchworth?  Must have been after I left (in '66).  I grew up there, a great place to leave!  Completely dry until the mid '60s, apart from the local (conservative?) club.  And then only an off-licence!

A family friend had a great relationship with a Tandy dealership and spent years doing all of his business with them. Realistic gear was usually OEM stuff from major Japanese manufacturers and a lot of their gear had Pioneer DNA. Our friends system was actually quite special.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Kubs said:

Underneath Nottingham city council ;-)

Correct, quite a large shop. And at some point somewhere to the left of Boots. They really did carry a lot of kit.

• Like 1

We had a Tandy in Greenock when I was younger me and my pal bought some stuff.he bought a pair of mach 2 speakers these were big and he had a small room lol and we thought they sounded great 😁I bought realistic speakers about £140 and later a memorex double tape deck for £200 using a old rotel receiver.what I remember it sounded good.i liked to pop in for a look as I was just getting into hifi. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, billthewiz said:

We had a Tandy in Greenock when I was younger me and my pal bought some stuff.he bought a pair of mach 2 speakers these were big and he had a small room lol and we thought they sounded great 😁I bought realistic speakers about £140 and later a memorex double tape deck for £200 using a old rotel receiver.what I remember it sounded good.i liked to pop in for a look as I was just getting into hifi. 

All I can remember, amps aside, from Tandy was those awful Jamo standmount speakers.

3 Minimums 7 speakers from Tandy in the mid 80s ! Still got them.

28.jpg

(Brian Eno’s ambient speaker system has a lot to answer for !)

• Upvote 1

Bought some Genexxa GX 700 from Tandy in 92'. My dad bought me after we were burgled and had 'let our insurance lapse'This was my attempt at my first hifi, matched with a Denon PMA 250mk3/DCD 615.

Was the best thing in the world for me at that time as a 13 year old!

• Like 1