akamatsu

Good quality Cat 5 or 6 cables

On 22/03/2019 at 01:59, Moomintroll said:

Hmm, that does kind of imply that Linn haven’t done a very good job at rejecting noise at the Ethernet input, then. TBH, given the improvements that Katalyst brought, then I find it a stretch that the designers wouldn’t do a sterling job at the input.

just a thought.

I will caveat any comments by saying that I use generic CAT5A/6 cabling throughout my systems.

’troll

Just make sure they are good quality cables. I like BJC because they test each cable before shipping, and include test results. That way there is no question that it meets spec. A 6 foot, a 20 foot, and a 25 foot cat 6a setup cost US$105. That's very inexpensive peace of mind.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, akamatsu said:

Linn recommend good quality cat 5 or cat 6 cables as Exakt Links. There should be no difference between cat 5 or 6, shielded or unshielded. I suspect the difference is between good quality and bad quality. Replacing the cables could have solved a problem of cables that didn't meet the spec for which the equipment was designed.

But if my old cables were ‘bad quality’ wouldn’t I be getting drop-outs and stuff like that? How can you tell if the cable is good quality or not....?

Edited by Gussy

6 hours ago, Gussy said:

But if my old cables were ‘bad quality’ wouldn’t I be getting drop-outs and stuff like that? How can you tell if the cable is good quality or not....?

My previous "bad" cables were revealed as such after I got the new cables. It sounded as though a fuzzy veil had been lifted from the music. From now on, I'll only by cables that have been individually tested. That will insure that they meet spec, and are "good."

8 hours ago, Gussy said:

A slight aside.  I had my TV connected via a no brand Cat 7 cable to a Netgear switch so I could use iPlayer and NetFlix.

Ocassionally NetFlix would drop and not be able to reconnect to the program.  I then tried connecting the TV via wireless and it worked OK.  Initially just thought there must be a lot of traffic on the other switch.  I then had the opportunity to try out a Roon Nucleus for a couple of hours. Easiest way to connect it was to just take the Cat cable out of the TV. It download and installed the latest software OK and then started to index my music INCREDIBLY slowly.  Spoke to a friend who'd used a Nucleus to see how fast it did the indexing which he said was quick. Thought back to the TV NetFlix issue I had experienced and searched out an old no brand Cat 6 cable.  Roon then started indexing 10 or 20 times faster than before.

I can only assume that the Cat 7 cable was faulty and causing lots and lots of errors and re transmits. So not so damaged to not work at all but very poor performance. Up to this point I'd always thought an Ethernet cable either worked or it did not.

Never used this cable in the music chain so no idea what impact it may have had if any.  Went straight in the bin.

21 minutes ago, peter@57m said:

A slight aside.  I had my TV connected via a no brand Cat 7 cable to a Netgear switch so I could use iPlayer and NetFlix.

Ocassionally NetFlix would drop and not be able to reconnect to the program.  I then tried connecting the TV via wireless and it worked OK.  Initially just thought there must be a lot of traffic on the other switch.  I then had the opportunity to try out a Roon Nucleus for a couple of hours. Easiest way to connect it was to just take the Cat cable out of the TV. It download and installed the latest software OK and then started to index my music INCREDIBLY slowly.  Spoke to a friend who'd used a Nucleus to see how fast it did the indexing which he said was quick. Thought back to the TV NetFlix issue I had experienced and searched out an old no brand Cat 6 cable.  Roon then started indexing 10 or 20 times faster than before.

I can only assume that the Cat 7 cable was faulty and causing lots and lots of errors and re transmits. So not so damaged to not work at all but very poor performance. Up to this point I'd always thought an Ethernet cable either worked or it did not.

Never used this cable in the music chain so no idea what impact it may have had if any.  Went straight in the bin.

I've had the same thing.  My PC is upstairs and connects via wireless usually, but if I have large files to copy to the nas I'll wire it.  I had a beefy looking 'Cat6a' from Amazon - and it was really slow!  Swapping that out with a thin, cheap looking 10m cable that came free with the router instantly sorted it.  The free cable isn't even fully wired.

10 hours ago, phino said:

I've had the same thing.  My PC is upstairs and connects via wireless usually, but if I have large files to copy to the nas I'll wire it.  I had a beefy looking 'Cat6a' from Amazon - and it was really slow!  Swapping that out with a thin, cheap looking 10m cable that came free with the router instantly sorted it.  The free cable isn't even fully wired.

Why did you get a beefy-looking Cat6 from Amazon when you already had the real-deal supplied with your router?

1 hour ago, phino said:

The router came after the cable.

....and you didn’t notice it was running really slow until you connected it to your new router....?

8 hours ago, Gussy said:

....and you didn’t notice it was running really slow until you connected it to your new router....?

It's for occasional use, the 10m was the reason for buying it - ad perhaps it deteriorated.

Why the passive-aggressive - if you have somethig to say, why not just come out and say it?

8 hours ago, Gussy said:

It's for occasional use, the 10m was the reason for buying it - ad perhaps it deteriorated.

Why the passive-aggressive - if you have somethig to say, why not just come out and say it?

@phino,

I’ve just read through your posts again - I’ve misunderstood your intentions - apologies, the fault was entirely mine.

Happy listening!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Gussy said:

@phino,

I’ve just read through your posts again - I’ve misunderstood your intentions - apologies, the fault was entirely mine.

Happy listening!

Thanks Gussy - I did wonder what was so contentious about having a slightly dodgy 10m cable :D

Currently listening happily via a bog-standard 4m cat6 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, phino said:

Currently listening happily via a bog-standard 4m cat6 

I am so glad you didn't say "to".

:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

@phino,

On Sunday you posted a link (in PaulSurround’s thread) to LinnDocs which I find very interesting - the very last line says cables should be ‘tested to the required qualification levels’.

Does this suggest that cables ‘not up to spec’ will not work well in our systems....?

47 minutes ago, Gussy said:

@phino,

On Sunday you posted a link (in PaulSurround’s thread) to LinnDocs which I find very interesting - the very last line says cables should be ‘tested to the required qualification levels’.

Does this suggest that cables ‘not up to spec’ will not work well in our systems....?

It's probably just Linn covering their backs, you could always email the Helpdesk and ask. They're saying that the cables should have been tested and confirmed suitable for at least fast-ethernet speed 100Mbps.  Any less and you might run into problems with dropouts, especially if Songcasting to other Ds units at 24\192.

The only sound quality based claim they make on ethernet cable is that there will be no difference regardless of which cable you choose.   Someone posted recently that at a recent Linn demo they were using Audioquest patch cables, so mixed messages!

This is an interesting link on cable verification/qualification/certification.