AlmaAtaKZ

Hi-Fi is out...

Sadly this seems like a totally reasonable change for inflation modelling, in that I don't know anyone other than HiFi fora related acquaintances who own what I'd consider a HiFi, whilst I know loads of people with wireless speakers.

Whilst both relate to sound quality, buying bigger headphones is very different to people having a decent quality speaker-based system at home to me. It's the latter which I'd guess has been steadily becoming rarer over past decades.

Posted (edited)

I suppose things move on with time. I assume there's this presumed notion that those listening with portable devices are getting a lesser sound quality. We just have to accept the fact that good SQ is available cheaper and smaller. Would I pack up my separates any time soon?... Nope. Still gives me joy.:D

Edited by Nativebon
Edit

Audible devices are getting cheaper and better so its no wonder people are moving towards portable devices. Most people already have a smart phone which is capable of very decent audio quality and is convenient, so just had some headphones and bingo - decent quality at an affordable price.

I see it with my kids, especially my 18 yo son, who only ever listens to music via his smart phone on headphones.

I do too, despite have a decent hifi - which is barely used! - I'm also ways using my ear phones on the daily commute either to listen to music or podcasts.

Posted (edited)

I haven't read this  whole thread but I believe some folks are overthinking this.

When we say "Hi Fi system" to most folks it means  that little mini or micro system,  sitting  on the shelf , with its speakers nestling on each side as if it were  one box.

Folks don't  buy these any more because "Smart" "Blue Tooth" speakers   have replaced them in the market.  Does the same job for the average customer but products & descriptions change.

Real HiFi  will never be in any "basket of goods " .. It's  been a niche market product since the boom days of the 1970s & '80s...  and probably now always will be. ;).

Edited by Smokestack
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Smokestack said:

When we say "Hi Fi system" to most folks it means  that little mini or micro system,  sitting  on the shelf , with its speakers nestling on each side as if it were  one box.

Comparing 2018 and 2019 info. on the ONS website, the change has been to replace 'Audio systems' by 'Portable speakers', with headphones being included in both years. I'm sure you're right about the sort of audio systems that will have been considered.

I suppose when your younger with a family funds are limited to other more important things but later on in life when more funds become available you can start to look at hobbies that when money was tight had to be put on the back burner when my kids where growing up no way could you contemplate spending 5k on New speakers which I will happily be doing this summer think that's why younger folk have all the wireless stuff I would think some of them when getting grey hairs and the kids gone will look at music differently and it is for me a enjoyable hobby hopefully to be carried on by our future siblings. Think that's why most of the Hifi shows are full of the older generation lol.

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Andywilliams said:

I suppose when your younger with a family funds are limited to other more important things but later on in life when more funds become available you can start to look at hobbies that when money was tight had to be put on the back burner when my kids where growing up no way could you contemplate spending 5k on New speakers which I will happily be doing this summer think that's why younger folk have all the wireless stuff I would think some of them when getting grey hairs and the kids gone will look at music differently and it is for me a enjoyable hobby hopefully to be carried on by our future siblings. Think that's why most of the Hifi shows are full of the older generation lol.

A sad old  Luddite like me is tempted to say that our expectations of recorded music have gradually been diminished over the years since the " Pure Perfect Sound Forever" of CD was foisted on us. The industry has increasingly  since then catered for the lowest common denominator with low resolution product, majoring on convenience rather than quality .

In short, they gave us digital before it was good enough  and we very quickly  forgot how good music can & should sound in the home.

Digital is of course now much better ...but a whole generation of listeners could have been lost in those  wilderness years of CD & MP3

Edited by Smokestack

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, Andywilliams said:

For me I'd say my personal interest in HiFi started when I was a university student, buying some small Mission speakers, a Denon amp and a Sony CD player in I think 2001. Whilst I fear where you're coming from may be how most people view this, I don't think that we should be limiting the definition of HiFi to £5k+ speakers. On that basis I don't have a HiFi currently actually! (Although I suppose the inflation corrected prices for some of my components would be in that bracket.)

I think cheaper systems as a gateway to more expensive ones is an important factor for the long term health of the industry, with the apparent increasing rarity of this being a concern. Even setting up a pair of speakers with enough separation to actually experience any benefit of stereo over mono is becoming rare.

Edit: oh, and my Dad had a 'seperates' system when I was a child, funded by his not exactly astronomical teacher's salary. High end it was not, but it was a damn site better than a little Sonos speaker.

Edited by MartinC

I have doubts that hi-fi was ever really that popular. Most people spent as little as possible, on devices as small and convenient as possible, that gave an acceptable (to them) sound quality. The only reason I ever got into anything approaching hi-fi was because my old man had separates. I don't recall the parents of any other kids I knew having such things. With twenty twenty hindsight, with the added bonus of my old man being a terrible hoarder, his stuff was/is pretty average, at best.

For many years, I schlepped around the country and cohabited with loads of people of a similar age bracket. The number of us that had anything approaching "real" hi-fi was vanishingly small. As time marched on, the small numbers steadily reduced. When it came to one of my frequent moves, many were bemused as to why I bothered with hi-fi. Now, I don't know anyone, other than my old man with his average AV setup, that owns anything like a hi-fi, not even mini/micro systems. It's all Bluetooth speakers and soundbars/sound bases.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Sam Vimes said:

I have doubts that hi-fi was ever really that popular. Most people spent as little as possible, on devices as small and convenient as possible, that gave an acceptable (to them) sound quality. The only reason I ever got into anything approaching hi-fi was because my old man had separates. I don't recall the parents of any other kids I knew having such things. With twenty twenty hindsight, with the added bonus of my old man being a terrible hoarder, his stuff was/is pretty average, at best.

For many years, I schlepped around the country and cohabited with loads of people of a similar age bracket. The number of us that had anything approaching "real" hi-fi was vanishingly small. As time marched on, the small numbers steadily reduced. When it came to one of my frequent moves, many were bemused as to why I bothered with hi-fi. Now, I don't know anyone, other than my old man with his average AV setup, that owns anything like a hi-fi, not even mini/micro systems. It's all Bluetooth speakers and soundbars/sound bases.

I know where your coming from in any of the places I have worked I've never met anyone remotely interested in hifi most folks think your a bit of a geek it's not that they don't like listening to music they just aren't bothered how it sounds can remember a mate said his hifi sounded great when I heard it it was a boomy mess but he loved it. That's why these forums are good as you can talk about your hobby with like minded people without being thought a bit weird. 

Edited by Andywilliams

5 hours ago, Andywilliams said:

I know where your coming from in any of the places I have worked I've never met anyone remotely interested in hifi most folks think your a bit of a geek it's not that they don't like listening to music they just aren't bothered how it sounds can remember a mate said his hifi sounded great when I heard it it was a boomy mess but he loved it. That's why these forums are good as you can talk about your hobby with like minded people without being thought a bit weird. 

Yeah, being like minded never stopped any one from  being weird. Sorry could not resist.. xD