Sign in to follow this  
akamatsu

Kirmuss Audio Record Restoration System

I just purchased one. I haven't opened the box yet. Does anyone out there have experience with it? If so, how do you like it?

I saw a couple of videos on YouTube and, frankly, it seems slightly complicated ...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Matteo said:

I saw a couple of videos on YouTube and, frankly, it seems slightly complicated ...

Slightly?! Haha. The inventor is saying that if you really want to clean your records, you have to employ mechanical energy, that is, elbow grease.

10 minutes ago, Fazioli said:

Unfortunately the inventor appears to have OCD. There's clean and now there's Kirmuss Klean! As for using towels to dry the record that is so last century.

Haha! Good one. You don't have to have OCD to invent a record cleaning machine, but it sure does help. :D

Posted (edited)

It was demonstrated at Bristol HiFi show. It was OK, but I wasn’t impressed with the demonstrator who was going on and on about Michael Fremer admitting he had given bad advice on record cleaning for years and had now seen the light. He seemed disappointed when I confessed I’d never heard of Mr Fremer and wasn’t all that interested in reviews. I preferred to see the machine in action. It did wash the record, but it did not dry it. I doubt I’d use a Kirmuss much if I had one as seemed to awkward for me. If I were to buy an ultrasonic cleaner I’d go for the Audio Desk because it’s easy to use. However, I have a traditional Hannl RCM, which is fine if a bit laborious. 

I think the only way to judge such a device is to borrow one and try it. It is a decent enough product. There is promotional video 

Which will probably tell you as much as I learned from the demonstration. 

Edited by Nestor Turton
  • Like 2

Yes. I've seen the videos. And I still bought one. I'm thinking the drawback is how labour intensive the whole process is.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

These cavitation record cleaning ‘systems’ strike me as consisting of a core technology, which can be purchased fairly cheaply, and some needlessly expensive add-ons.

In this case, if you are interested in trying out cavitation record cleaning you can pick up an ultrasonic machine from eBay or Amazon for under £100, fill it with purified water from Halfords, add a splash of Isopropanol from Amazon, stick a piece of dowel (Homebase) through the record and off you go.  You can follow and repeat the Kirmuss process on YouTube if you want. Yes, you have to rotate the record(s) yourself - you can fit three quite easily into the bath with about 1.5 inches between them.  The whole process takes about 15 minutes to clean three records. It’s not as pretty as a two grand cleaner but, in my experience, it works very well.

To test it out, I bought the dirtiest LP I could find in Oxfam and washed it.  It came out spotlessly clean and with the crackles and pops considerably reduced.  From unlistenable to very playable. I haven’t found that cavitation removes all the pops, but it’s as good if not better than anything else I’ve tried.  It’s also quick and relatively unmessy. I’ve also used tap water instead of purified water and it works every bit as well. I don’t bother with ‘polishing’ the record as Kirmuss does.  

So, for around £100 I’m very happy and don’t feel the need to spend any more. 

Edited by Muffin
  • Like 3

Looks interesting, akamatsu. I bought the Audio Desk just before Christmas and I’m very pleased indeed with the results. If your new setup gets similar or better results to my machine at half the price that’s brilliant!

Mick

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 12/03/2019 at 15:16, MickC said:

Looks interesting, akamatsu. I bought the Audio Desk just before Christmas and I’m very pleased indeed with the results. If your new setup gets similar or better results to my machine at half the price that’s brilliant!

Mick

The Audio Desk looks like a top quality machine. I like that it is fully automatic, whilst the Kirmuss is rather labour intensive. I only paid C$950 plus sales tax for the Kirmuss. I'm unboxing it now and will have it cleaning today. I'll post my results.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Here's a rather comprehensive (two part) review of the Kirmuss machine. He compares it to the Audio Desk.

https://theaudiophileman.com/kirmuss-ka-rc-1-ultrasonic-review-part1/

20 hours ago, akamatsu said:

Here's a rather comprehensive (two part) review of the Kirmuss machine. He compares it to the Audio Desk.

https://theaudiophileman.com/kirmuss-ka-rc-1-ultrasonic-review-part1/

That's a long writeup but I stuck with it. Good results it seems, too. Must admit I love the 'hands off' approach of the Audio Desk, which is why I spent thirty-five years (on and off) looking for a machine.

• Like 1

Here's what I've found so far; Yes, it's labour intensive. I imagine I'll have a pile of empty plastic distilled water jugs before too long.

However, it really does make an improvement in sound quality. I find it reveals noticeably more than cleaning with my Nitty Gritty does. I'm hearing things on my favourite LPs that I've never heard before. I find the music to be more engaging now, more presence.

Conclusion: It's a keeper.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this