radiant red

Measurements, Compatibility and Ears 👂

Super Wammer
2 hours ago, Croma said:

The OP cannot cope with measurements and wants others to know. Personally while listening to music whether HiFi or not measurements do not begin to involve. I can use measurements to decide about something.

Best of luck in your mental discipline OP.

I can cope with anything... I just don’t wanna hear about measurements.. I just wanna hear the music 🎶 

• Like 1

Having measurements is akin to having a very low resolution view of the overall picture, it gives you a tiny amount of information and some of that information may not be relevant. On the other hand, small pieces of information can be extremely revealing.

To try and make an analogy, I tell you that a chap is 5' 6" tall. To me its irrelevant what height someone is if they're to be my friend or not. But to a woman, it may be a deal breaker because their partner cannot be shorter than they are, and the woman is 5' 8". 

• Upvote 1

Super Dealer
3 hours ago, Bodgit said:

Having measurements is akin to having a very low resolution view of the overall picture, it gives you a tiny amount of information and some of that information may not be relevant. On the other hand, small pieces of information can be extremely revealing.

To try and make an analogy, I tell you that a chap is 5' 6" tall. To me its irrelevant what height someone is if they're to be my friend or not. But to a woman, it may be a deal breaker because their partner cannot be shorter than they are, and the woman is 5' 8". 

Take more measurements.

Keith

• Haha 1

Super Wammer

Without trying to put words in ther OPs' mouth, I don't think it's a case of the OP can't cope with measurements, I just think that he's like me, can't be bothered with them.  The only thing that matters is what it sounds like and does it make me smile.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Without trying to put words in ther OPs' mouth, I don't think it's a case of the OP can't cope with measurements, I just think that he's like me, can't be bothered with them.  The only thing that matters is what it sounds like and does it make me smile.

What if measurements could (and they can) help you find equipment that will widen your smile?

It does take a bit of effort, though. But it's not A-level physics either.

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer

I have qualifications in electrical engineering from my past... 

In 1979 I went to a well known at the time, audio establishment I listened to a few items that MEASURED well and sounded absolutely crap!! Still the guy rammed down my throat why I should buy them as if to think I was stupid! 

In 1985 I listened to a Cyrus one amp which was clean but dry sounding... clinical I would best describe it.. it didn’t MEASURE well in the power stakes at 30wpc but had the grunt to drive my, at the time, speakers... it worked well so I purchased it.. 

what im trying to say over and over is compatibility and ears are the key.. nothing will ever change my opinion 

• Like 2

Super Wammer

Btw.... try an original Cyrus one with a pair of Harbeth 7s... doesn’t MEASURE well but it sounds bloody marvellous !

15 minutes ago, radiant red said:

Btw.... try an original Cyrus one with a pair of Harbeth 7s... doesn’t MEASURE well but it sounds bloody marvellous !

What makes you think that something which sounds good to you will sound good to others?

Super Wammer
Just now, tuga said:

What makes you think that something which sounds good to you will sound good to others?

I don’t and haven’t said that at all. 

My wife likes watercolours, I like oil paintings, A good friend likes photographs. 

Super Wammer
20 minutes ago, Colinjg said:

My wife likes watercolours, I like oil paintings, A good friend likes photographs. 

I like tall speakers, I like small speakers.. they’re wired for sound 💭 bloody Cliff Richard! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Colinjg said:

And if you wanted to buy a reproduction, wouldn't you choose the most accurate print?

From the Wikipedia:

1920px-Vincent_Van_Gogh_-_Wheatfield_wit

From the Van Gogh Museum:

5b7d2746-f71a-478b-aaeb-ea7750b06113.jpg

Neither, because your monitor/pad/phone screen isn't calibrated. :whistle:

Edited by Tony_J
  • Haha 1

Super Wammer
14 minutes ago, Tony_J said:

Neither, because your monitor/pad/phone screen isn't calibrated. :whistle:

More measurements!! 😂

• Haha 1