radiant red

Measurements, Compatibility and Ears 👂

1 minute ago, Fourlegs said:

It’s a good job we are all different. 

One day though I will let you hear how good music can sound when played through a decent system. 😜

would that be a vinyl one :bouncey:  (sorry I couldn't resist) but I do agree with your sentiments which are true for a lot of comments and threads 

13 minutes ago, uzzy said:

I saw the discussion - but it was a discussion that did not prove any conclusion as far as i was concerned.  This is also all about DAC connection .. but hey ho whatever floats your boat :) 

I'd agree there aren't clear-cut audible differences but I don't think it's fair when people state categorically that there are no benefits in HiFi situations either. There are solid reasons for upsides, some of which are independent of cable length.

Edited by MartinC
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

It’s a good job we are all different. 

One day though I will let you hear how good music can sound when played through a decent system. 😜

Cool, just PM me when you want to visit!:D

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Muckplaster said:

I have a cheap Behringer DAC on a computer run via 6 metre phono leads into the amp. It sounds stunning on Radio Paradise FLAC. I would be fretting about it if I was a clueless foo fan. Ooh, what if I bought Nordost cables and spent a fortune on a DAC......

Been there, done that. But I’ve never used it for Radio Paradise FLAC so I’m unable to give you any subjective impressions.

Super Wammer

With apologies to radiant red for my part in discussing measurements, I found something today to illustrate this isn't a recent debate. 

Back in Feb 1997 a review of speaker cables was published in Hifi News. I’ve pictured two excerpts - the introduction and a table of what was tested.  The only product I’m aware is still on sale is the Kimber 8TC.  It has the highest capacitance and lowest resistance and inductance.

I’ve highlighted the key paragraph which was pretty much stated above a few pages ago.

E7A04EB2-B15C-406D-83CF-1954A4B86AD8.thumb.jpeg.a355103eeab6b111edea239d9022188e.jpeg

C9D4BDD6-79CE-4F25-BAA5-53AEC1F81906.thumb.jpeg.66a0eab438094e012e0f416c905026ea.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

With apologies to radiant red for my part in discussing measurements, 

No need sir. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, tuga said:

<snipped>

One thing the cable vendors have completely neglected to point out, is that the characteristic impedance is only important (and relevant) when the source impedance, cable impedance and load impedance are all matched. Having an extremely low impedance at one end (the amplifier) and a variable impedance at the other (the majority of all loudspeakers) makes true matching impossible.

<snipped>

In order to obtain a low characteristic impedance, it is necessary to have very low inductance and relatively high capacitance, and the high capacitance may impose serious constraints on the amplifier. Indeed, many amplifiers will become unstable if there is sufficient capacitance connected directly to the output, causing oscillation which may damage the amplifier. As described above, regardless of anything else, the cable does not act as a true transmission line at audio frequencies, and claims to the contrary are fallacious.

For these esoteric cables, their high capacitance dictates that there will be the opportunity for the insulating material to contribute its 'sound' to the overall signal fed to the loudspeakers. It must be pointed out that this is hotly disputed by many engineers, and there is no conclusive evidence that any one dielectric material is "sonically superior" to any other. I know of no properly conducted Double-Blind Test (DBT) where the listening panel was able to pick the difference with greater than 50% accuracy - i.e. pure chance. However, the possibility cannot be discounted, so it is worth mentioning.

<snipped>

Decisions, decisions .... (or perhaps not grin.gif).

http://sound.whsites.net/cable-z.htm

Dammit Tuga,wondering about my old Kimber cable again now! :doh:

• Haha 4

Go on... you know it makes sense 

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer
3 hours ago, Nativebon said:

Look what I found...:nerves::nerves:Should I?

20190320_191409_HDR_resized.jpg

8TC

It was clearly the best in that review I quoted from above. On the subsequent pages they made other tests and it was ranked closest to no cable at all - which I’ve always thought was the true test of a cable. 

Do give it a go and report back.