Bodgit

Whats to do with original QUAD 22/IIs/ESL57s

12 minutes ago, wizmax said:

Hi David,

I had a similar experience to yous two years ago, asked by a friend to check out an old radiogram of one of his customers. The unit was believed to be faulty and had not worked since before her husband died some 10 years previously so not used for about 15 years. It turned out that the radiogram was populated with a 22 pre and 11 power amps and the FM1 and one of the power amps had been disconnected making me think that there was a problem with it. 

To cut a long story short the owner wanted the unit working again so I took it to Steve Bennett of Vintagetech, 

https://www.vintagetech.co.uk/,

who checked it all out, repaired the faulty power amp sprayed some contact cleaner around the pre and gave it all a clean bill of health. I re-installed the units back in to the radiogram case and it is still working beautifully much to the delight of the owner.

Steve works from home in Peaslake, about 13 miles from you  and it would be well worth a visit just to have your units checked out, I have been using Steve for the last 9 years to service my collection of 23 Reel to Reel tape machines and he is an excellent engineer with a degree in Electronic Engineering and a fully equipped workshop, I can not recommend him highly enough.

Brilliant, thanks so much for that info wizmax. My Dad is in Milton Keynes but it might make sense to borrow his equipment and have Steve take a look at it, assuming the cost is reasonable. I too have a Degree in electronic engineering, but it was a long time ago!!

Just now, Bodgit said:

Brilliant, thanks so much for that info wizmax. My Dad is in Milton Keynes but it might make sense to borrow his equipment and have Steve take a look at it, assuming the cost is reasonable. I too have a Degree in electronic engineering, but it was a long time ago!!

At least you will understand each other.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1