Croma

Beware:: This tweak/change worsened my sound

Posted (edited)

Ok folks I tried this and my sound became slightly, significanty, hugely worse. Beware, avoid. Save your time, effort and expense.

OK Find out the hard way

Edited by Croma
  • Confused 2

Super Wammer
29 minutes ago, parcelmonkey said:

Might be an amateurish attempt at clickbait possibly?

:D

Or an antidote to the “night and day” difference, and one so obvious that “my wife heard it straightaway”!

• Haha 2

Super Wammer

Maybe connected with this thread....?

So nobody wants to share their bad experiences with HiFi tweaking, warning others to save them grief.

I bought some super power cables and could not hear a jot of difference.

A parabolic stylus which revealed all the pot holes and misery on my vinyl

Super Wammer

fitted valhalla power cables to some belles mb100 and they sounded much worse than with some cheaper copper ! they may be good with some components but in this case they made it worse . those days are long gone now !! can`t afford such esoterica 

Not sure, but does not listening to foo count. I learnt many, many moons ago that lots and lots of the,  you would not believe the difference type claims should be avoided at all costs. Cable lifters, power cables, mega money IC's and speaker cables may work for those who spend their listening time listening to the system, if on the other hand you actually listen to the music they seem to have much less influence. The biggest mistake I made was buying a much lauded Scandinavian CD player. It did everything the reviews said it would, better soundstage, a little more detail, a bit more ''air and space''. Biggest problem I had with it was it was hi fi, not music. If I listened to the HiFi it was a great machine, if on the other hand I parked my arse to listen to music it failed me. I just could not get the connection with the music my old player gave. Fortunately because of all the good reviews it was easy to move on, and I think I lost out to the tune of postage costs. The old machine went back in and happiness was restored. 

I think I buy a music centre, not a hi fi, but it took me a while to work out what the differences are. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

When it stops exciting you, relaxing you, making you want to dance, or join in. (Conducting the orchestra, playing air-guitar, singing along etc.)

When all that that stops, you need to re-assess why you even have a system.

Edited by chebby
  • Upvote 4

22 minutes ago, dudywoxer said:

Not sure, but does not listening to foo count. I learnt many, many moons ago that lots and lots of the,  you would not believe the difference type claims should be avoided at all costs. Cable lifters, power cables, mega money IC's and speaker cables may work for those who spend their listening time listening to the system, if on the other hand you actually listen to the music they seem to have much less influence. The biggest mistake I made was buying a much lauded Scandinavian CD player. It did everything the reviews said it would, better soundstage, a little more detail, a bit more ''air and space''. Biggest problem I had with it was it was hi fi, not music. If I listened to the HiFi it was a great machine, if on the other hand I parked my arse to listen to music it failed me. I just could not get the connection with the music my old player gave. Fortunately because of all the good reviews it was easy to move on, and I think I lost out to the tune of postage costs. The old machine went back in and happiness was restored. 

I think I buy a music centre, not a hi fi, but it took me a while to work out what the differences are. 

Very true. I recently trialled a much lauded speaker system, and to be fair it was stunningly good hifi. The snag was that it was hifi not music I was listening to. When I switched back to my resident system a scientist friend said that it sounded much more musical. Which is, kinda, the idea!

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Croma said:

So nobody wants to share their bad experiences with HiFi tweaking, warning others to save them grief.

I bought some super power cables and could not hear a jot of difference.

A parabolic stylus which revealed all the pot holes and misery on my vinyl

5 years ago I moved my system from my big lump of glass and iron to a lovely lightweight table.

Sounded broken. No, I really thought I'd broken something. Moved it back and joy was restored.

That and a f**k awful NAD dac/headphone amp. Truly horrible sound. Couldn't wait to move it on.

Those and re-capping stuff (not crossovers)- don't bother.

Happy now?

Edited by lazycat

I have only ever had one " I have broken it " moment , swapping my tone arm , I replaced a Rega RB250  for an Origin Live Silver MkI , it all went dull and dead , I checked everything before changing the arm back  , it all came back with the Rega . The buyer of the OL was happy with it on his T/T though.

14 hours ago, Nopiano said:

Or an antidote to the “night and day” difference, and one so obvious that “my wife heard it straightaway”!

There strange, my wife heard it to. 

You just need to burn it in for a while.

• Haha 1